Talk

Advanced search

Arlo James Matthew

(13 Posts)
TheWiseOldElf Mon 21-Nov-16 10:48:13

We've finally found a boys name on which both DH and I agree - Arlo (yes, I know it's the name of The Good Dinosaur and that it is raising in popularity and may date but we both like it!)

I would like Matthew to be part of the name after a family member. DH's middle name is James and he would like to include that.

Q is whether it sounds a bit awkward. I think maybe Arlo Matthew James sounds better but I quite like the option of AJ as a nn. Any thoughts?

SoupDragon Mon 21-Nov-16 10:50:57

I think Arlo Matthew James flows better too and I thought that before I read your OP.

Chinlo Mon 21-Nov-16 10:52:57

I agree but given that his names will so rarely be said aloud in full, I don't think it really matters. So if you want AJ I'd just stick with Arlo James Matthew.

Having said that, why bother with an AJ nn when you have a name as cool as Arlo!

SoupDragon Mon 21-Nov-16 10:56:57

Oddly. If you say Jamesmatthew as one, it flows better. smile

I agree, it doesn't make a lot of difference as a day to day thing.

wobblywonderwoman Mon 21-Nov-16 11:05:57

I think it Arlo is very nice and the three names work well
AJ is a great shortening.

KlingybunFistelvase Mon 21-Nov-16 13:08:45

Arlo Matthew James is lovely!

KlingybunFistelvase Mon 21-Nov-16 13:09:29

Oh sorry missed the part where you want AJ as a nn. Arlo James Matthew is fine in that case.

BonusNewt Mon 21-Nov-16 13:19:50

As with the pp I think Arlo Matthew James sounds better but Arlo James Matthew does not sound at all bad.

Do you know this song OP?

www.woodyguthrie.org/Lyrics/Goodnight_Little_Arlo.htm

TheWiseOldElf Mon 21-Nov-16 15:57:43

Thanks all. I'm not even sure we'd use the nn AJ but also think the number of times the full name will be recited are limited.

I do know of Arlo Guthrie and Woody Guthrie but hadn't heard of that song. We actually came up with the name when I misheard the name of a contestant on Masterchef - not the most romantic inspiration!

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 21-Nov-16 16:36:39

OldElf, I like Arlo James Matthew best (AJ).

Sophronia Mon 21-Nov-16 19:01:32

I like Arlo James Matthew

DramaAlpaca Mon 21-Nov-16 21:58:29

I like it, it's a nice combination of names.

Buntysoven Tue 22-Nov-16 01:00:36

I personally think Arlo James Matthew flows better.2 1 2 syllables.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now