Juno and Anouk: do they sound too similar?

(38 Posts)
Jooni Sat 12-Nov-16 12:08:12

Expecting #2, not sure of the gender yet but we have a boy's name sorted.

DD is Juno, and one of the names we both love for another girl is Anouk (ah-NOOK rather than ah-NUCK if that makes sense). I think they look great together on paper and have the same feel etc. but do they sound a bit too similar?

Strongest alternative contender is probably Nell (no full name), but I'm worried it feels a bit plain next to Juno... thoughts please?

SausageSoda Sat 12-Nov-16 12:28:14

Unless I'm pronouncing them wrong which I'm not I don't think they sound or look the same at all.

PotteringAlong Sat 12-Nov-16 12:30:02

Not similar in the slightest.

UpYourBumAndRoundTheCorner Sat 12-Nov-16 12:30:47

Eeeeek! Another baby name thread. Look out op for the assassination of your choices confused hope you are ready for the "oh my god what are you thinking" and "poor child will have to live with it" get our while you still can!

TinaBacon Sat 12-Nov-16 12:41:32

I love both names, but I think there will be lots of correcting of the 'oo' sound. When I say Anouk with a full oo I feel like I'm putting on a Scouse accent and saying 'a nook'. Do you like Anoushka?

TinaBacon Sat 12-Nov-16 12:44:24

FWIW the names I considered as a Juno-lover were:
Clementine
Astrid
Margot
Manon
Stella
Iris
Greer
Biba
Miranda
Delphine

JosephineMaynard Sat 12-Nov-16 12:49:57

They don't sound at all similar to me.

TeshiB Sat 12-Nov-16 12:59:59

They're fine together! smile

marshallzumarubble Sat 12-Nov-16 13:06:47

I love Juno! And I love Anouk! I would pronounce it exactly as you say as well. I don't think they are too similar. We almost named our DD Juno but these were the others on our list in case you need inspiration:

Zelda
Xanthe
Adeline
Merryn
Aderyn
Azalea
Serefina

Jooni Sat 12-Nov-16 13:27:28

Oh, ok, thank you everyone! This is encouraging.

Tina lovely names, Astrid is on our shortlist too and I really like Manon but v popular in France (DH has French family). Trying to avoid anything that's too trendy in either country.
Love Anoushka too but we have a long surname so trying to stick to 2 syllables or less for the first name.

marshall Zelda and Xanthe are on the list too, great minds smile Don't think I'd be brave enough for Zelda though!

SpunkyMummy Sat 12-Nov-16 13:37:28

I love Juno.

I don't think they're too similar. Anouk (I'd pronounce that unnook, btw) is a lovely name.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 12-Nov-16 13:43:24

Not at all OP.

AnnetteKertan Sat 12-Nov-16 17:35:59

I think they compliment each other nicely.

I have a Xanthe. Juno and Astrid are both on my list for any future girls along with Iona and Alba.

I think I read on Mn that the French struggle with Xanthe (the 'th') part so is pronounced Zante. Of course, you can check with your Dh(!)

nooka Sat 12-Nov-16 18:51:37

I think they work well together and wouldn't imagine Anouk pronounced any other way.

SorenaJ Sat 12-Nov-16 21:16:26

How about Minerva?

NavyandWhite Sat 12-Nov-16 21:56:28

I adore Anouk. Goes lovely with Juno. Do it OP.

sykadelic Mon 14-Nov-16 05:20:47

Can't say I like anouk because it sounds like "a nuke" like she's a nuclear weapon

Joinourclub Mon 14-Nov-16 05:43:50

I love Juno. No reason why you c ant have Anouk too but I'm not keen on it.

Suggestions:
Sadie
Tessa
Saffron
Lena
Iris
Greta
Heidi

Coey2016 Mon 14-Nov-16 06:09:54

They sound good together & not too similar at all

pontificationcentral Mon 14-Nov-16 06:35:48

What about Alekni?
I like Anouk but I am concerned about your pronunciation. Insisting on a long 'oo' will be a balls ache.

NavyandWhite Mon 14-Nov-16 06:59:59

People will soon cotton on it's a long oo.
I would have never thought it was pronounced uck.

Stick with it OP it's lovely.

Raines100 Mon 14-Nov-16 07:07:25

I thought it was Anouk to rhyme with book, look, cook, etc? I've never heard it rhymed with duck or juke.

Lovely name, though, and not at all like Juno.

NavyandWhite Mon 14-Nov-16 07:16:16

Depends on how you say cook, look etc though I guess 🤔😊

NavyandWhite Mon 14-Nov-16 07:17:34

How would you pronounce Anouk Raine? If not either to rhyme with duck or juke?

Raines100 Mon 14-Nov-16 09:31:19

Um... Ann+ <rifles through DS's phonics sheets> the short vowel kind of 'oo' as in book in an RP accent. So not 'oo' as in 'ew'. 'A-nook' (and cranny?) rather than 'An-ewk' or 'A-nyook'.

Is that wrong? blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now