Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Louis

(35 Posts)
Frazzledmum123 Fri 11-Nov-16 23:19:52

What do you think to this name? I really like it but dh thinks it's s bit wet? Also would Lou be the only nn? I am a serial abbreviator with names!!
Also like Arthur but hate Art for a nn. So struggling with boys names sad

Manumission Fri 11-Nov-16 23:21:48

I prefer Arthur/Art TBH.

Frazzledmum123 Fri 11-Nov-16 23:24:29

Thanks, Any other similar name suggestions would be appreciated. I quite like Joshua too but it's a bit, overused?

blinkineckmum Fri 11-Nov-16 23:37:25

Lou is the best boy's name ever.

JosephineMaynard Fri 11-Nov-16 23:38:51

I prefer Lewis to Louis. Similar sounding names, but Lewis sounds a bit stronger to me.

elephantoverthehill Fri 11-Nov-16 23:40:47

Will it be Lewis or Louey? It is a nightmare for teachers, I teach at least 5 Louis' and have to try to remember how each individual one is pronounced.

Pluto30 Fri 11-Nov-16 23:41:45

Joshua's not popular anymore. I like it. smile

I prefer Arthur to Louis. I have a relative recently who was planning to name her son Louis, but when he was born, she thought Louis was "too soft" for a 9lb baby. She went with Henry instead.

taxiforme Fri 11-Nov-16 23:46:52

Love Louis and Lou. It's such a cool name.

Listen to Louie Louie by the kingsmen. Great song (sorry, I can't help reference things by music).

I love Arthur btw.

And Christian (kit).

LadyStoic Fri 11-Nov-16 23:48:51

Christian/Kit

Nathan/Nate (LOVE Nate!)

Frazzledmum123 Fri 11-Nov-16 23:51:43

See I think Louis sounds strong but my dh isn't the only person to mention thinking the opposite. I would pronounce it Lou-ey. I think I would have loved Lewis tbh but I know one and he is, um challenging so it massively put me off!
I think my favourite is Arthur but just not sold on Art but I do really like Henry now you mention it! Again though hard to shorten, I think that's why I lik Joshua. Boys names are so much harder to pick than girls!'
Completely different I know but I also like Cohen, is that too weird?

blinkineckmum Fri 11-Nov-16 23:53:02

Louis sounds much stronger than Joshua to me. It makes me think of kings.

Frazzledmum123 Fri 11-Nov-16 23:53:45

I like Nate too but we have a Nathan in the family who sorta puts me off that! Not too keen on Christian tbh. Thanks for all the replies :£

Frazzledmum123 Fri 11-Nov-16 23:53:57

smile

blinkineckmum Fri 11-Nov-16 23:54:57

And it means 'warrior'.

Frazzledmum123 Fri 11-Nov-16 23:55:14

Yeah I suppose Joshua isn't that strong is it? I already have an Alfred (Alfie) so I do seem to like king names lol

Pluto30 Fri 11-Nov-16 23:56:08

I think if you use Cohen at the moment, people are automatically going to assume it's after Leonard Cohen. If you're fine with that, no worries. It's very heavily associated with Judaism, however, so keep that in mind.

Frazzledmum123 Fri 11-Nov-16 23:57:01

Thanks taxi - will look the song up!

Frazzledmum123 Fri 11-Nov-16 23:59:03

I don't know who Leonard Cohen is blush
The Jewish thing is what puts me off tbh, not that I have an issue with it but it can be a bit naff to use a name from another culture/religion can't it

Pluto30 Sat 12-Nov-16 00:01:54

Leonard Cohen wrote the song Hallelujah. He died yesterday.

Well, I'm Jewish and I have no problem with it, but it is extremely common among people I know as a surname. A lot of people use heavily religious names though (Noah, Moses etc) and it's fine, so wouldn't worry too much!

Bellabelloo Sat 12-Nov-16 00:09:58

I love the name Louis! Would be top of my list, but was vetoed by my husband....

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Sat 12-Nov-16 08:33:58

My son is called Louis. It wasn't my choice. It is always shortened to Lou and it's pronounced Lewis by 90% of people that don't know him, which like you, I VERY strongly dislike.
Interestingly my number 1 name was Arthur. I still regret it to this day...
I did get my choice for girls names when I had my DD though.

KlingybunFistelvase Sat 12-Nov-16 15:41:13

I think I prefer Arthur, though Louis is nice. I like Joshua too.

SpunkyMummy Sat 12-Nov-16 15:47:42

I really like Arthur.

I also like Tobias, Frederik, Nathan/Nathaniel and Oscar.

Gruffalosfriend Sat 12-Nov-16 21:50:55

Lou is in loo shock, how can that be cool...?!

I prefer Arthur over Louis (which I pronounce Lou-is)

Frazzledmum123 Sat 12-Nov-16 22:17:43

Thanks everyone! I don't like Lou as a nickname really and I think I prefer Arther too but not Art. I guess if I went for Louis I could spell it Louie, to make it clearer
Spunkymummy- I love Frederik too but with an Alfred already it's a no go. What do people think of Albert?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now