Talk

Advanced search

Are these names too similar?

(10 Posts)
MalbecAndLindt Fri 11-Nov-16 20:17:22

Currently pregnant with #1, due in Feb, don't know if it's a boy or girl.

We live in Wales and DP is from a Welsh speaking family so I thought it'd be nice for our children to have Welsh names.

If we ever have a boy, his name will be Rhys. I keep changing my mind on girls names. Top choices are Ffion or Nia, but I've been looking online and came across Carys which I'd forgotten about from TTC days. DP likes it and sounds good with the surname.

I'm just wondering (if we end up with a son and daughter) that Rhys and Carys sound too similar. What do you think?

AmberEars Fri 11-Nov-16 20:18:48

I love Carys and I don't think it's too similar to Rhys.

afalmartin Fri 11-Nov-16 20:23:25

If you have strong Welsh accents I think they might be too similar. (Assuming your saying Welsh Rhys rather than Reece pronunciation) What about Catrin or Caitlin?

Sophronia Fri 11-Nov-16 20:23:50

I don't think they sound too similar

user1471950254 Fri 11-Nov-16 20:28:55

Both lovely names & I don't think they are too similar

Sugarpiehoneyeye Fri 11-Nov-16 21:27:21

Both nice, fine together.😄

SpunkyMummy Fri 11-Nov-16 21:34:21

I don't think they're too similar.

Nia and Carys are really lovely smile

nooka Fri 11-Nov-16 22:02:34

I thought when I first opened the thread that the OP was having boy/girl twins! OP I don't think I'd worry about this issue until and unless you have not just the child you are currently pregnant with but also a different sex sibling on the way.

Use the names you like best (all your ideas seem nice names to me) for the child you are due in February and worry about a potential sibling later, you may well find you like totally different names next time you come to choose.

DramaAlpaca Sat 12-Nov-16 00:06:58

Rhys & Carys would be lovely together.

griffinsss Sat 12-Nov-16 00:20:05

I know siblings called Rhys and Carys! I've never considered them being too similar so I think you're fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now