Elinor or Eleanor?

(56 Posts)
basketoffreshveg Fri 11-Nov-16 19:29:43

We've pretty much decided on this for DC but unsure which spelling to opt for? Any preferences?

soundsystem Fri 11-Nov-16 19:31:11

Eleanor

(Lovely name!)

Wolfiefan Fri 11-Nov-16 19:31:32

Might make a difference how some people say it.
Eleanor might be pronounced Ellen or
Elinor might be ellin or
I think I would assume that unless told I was wrong!

icclemunchy Fri 11-Nov-16 19:33:09

We have an Eleanor. No ones ever pronounced it wrong unless their English hasn't been great and even then they come pretty close.

It's also the spelling people seem to go for if they don't ask how to spell it (if that makes sense)

oldbirdy Fri 11-Nov-16 19:33:56

I say those slightly differently. Eleanor as 'Ellener' with stress on first syllable. Elinor as 'ellie- norr' with stress on third syllable. Both lovely, but maybe let your intended pronunciation lead you?

basketoffreshveg Fri 11-Nov-16 19:34:17

It does smile I think I prefer Eleanor, personally - I just did wonder if people might try to say 'Ell-lean (rhyming with spleen) nor!'

Bountybarsyuk Fri 11-Nov-16 19:48:59

Eleanor looks more elegant.

KlingybunFistelvase Fri 11-Nov-16 19:55:47

I prefer Eleanor personally but just because it's the spelling I'm most used to seeing. I was re-reading sense and sensibility recently though and I think Elinor is spelt Elinor in that.

It's a gorgeous name either way smile.

GrainOfSalt Fri 11-Nov-16 19:58:45

Just to be very awkward I love the Italian (?) spelling Elena grin

basketoffreshveg Fri 11-Nov-16 19:59:55

I like that as well, it's pretty smile

talksensetome Fri 11-Nov-16 20:02:18

I like Eleanor best.

Love Elena but woukd say that differently send probably be wrong

Bellaposy Fri 11-Nov-16 20:02:31

There is a baby Elinor in my baby massage group and her mum said it's the Welsh version? I think they are both beautiful. I personally prefer Elinor but Eleanor will certainly give you/her fewer headaches.

Paddingtonthebear Fri 11-Nov-16 20:03:09

I like Elena best.

And Elin.

basketoffreshveg Fri 11-Nov-16 20:03:31

I just think Elinor Dashwood, from Sense & Sensibility smile

TataEs Fri 11-Nov-16 20:04:11

eleanor or elena
tho eleanor is ellen-or/ellen-er
elena is ellen-ah

AmberEars Fri 11-Nov-16 20:06:45

I like Elinor personally. Maybe because I was a fan of the Chalet School books!

Longdistance Fri 11-Nov-16 20:07:36

I have an Eleanor grin

Ellypoo Fri 11-Nov-16 20:07:45

Eleanor definitely- have never had any problems with people pronouncing my name correctly, and it's the classical spelling

daisydalrymple Fri 11-Nov-16 20:11:00

I'm Welsh and Elinor is more commonly used here, but I much prefer Eleanor. It was going to be dc3's middle name (but boy), I think it's beautiful, elegant and timeless.

I find Elinor a bit harsh somehow. Also love elena however, think it looks beautiful, but I too am wary about the pronounciation. I looked at loads of threads on here about it (search elena in the title and it'll bring up lots of discussions about how people pronounce it and the Greek / Italian / Spanish variations).

EweAreHere Fri 11-Nov-16 20:12:02

Eleanor.

SpeckledyBanana Fri 11-Nov-16 20:13:15

Elinor if you're Welsh. Otherwise, Eleanor.

Sophronia Fri 11-Nov-16 20:22:59

Eleanor

Wishfulmakeupping Fri 11-Nov-16 20:25:52

I love Elinor I think s and s immediately smile my ds of he had been dd2 was going to be Harriet Elinor.

SellyMevs Fri 11-Nov-16 20:35:11

I could have written this same post! DD1 is arriving imminently we've settled on Elinor/Eleanor.

I'm tempted with Eleanor because I know that's how other people will spell it and it's how I expect it to look written down. But I'm leaning more towards Elinor as I have very strong Welsh connections and I particularly like the NN Elin rather than the obvious Ellie or Ella.

Induction is 2 weeks away so I'm resorting to writing down names to see which looks better with our surname!

Pluto30 Fri 11-Nov-16 20:45:23

Eleanor.

Elinor works if you're in Scandinavia, but otherwise you're just setting the child up for spelling/pronunciation issues.

Elena is a different name entirely. It's pronounced eh-LAY-nah or eh-LEE-nah.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now