Help with a name for our 2 day old daughter

(45 Posts)
Redkite10a Sat 05-Nov-16 08:51:03

Any suggestions for a name for our 2 day old daughter? We didn't want to know gender, but had guessed she was a boy and have been caught completely unprepared and are finding girls names much harder work than boys.

We already have a DS called Nathan, and would have called her Gabriel if she'd been a boy. We don't like Gabriella for a girl - it's too long for us, so we are probably looking for another 2 syllable name. Having suffered being one of many kids in my class with the same name I also don't want anything too popular. She'll also need a middle name, and will then have my maiden name as a 2nd middle name.

Names we've found we like so far are Phoebe and Keira (possibly spelt Kira). I don't think they are right for her but do like Abigail and Beatrice. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

HeCantBeSerious Sat 05-Nov-16 08:54:55

I don't mean this unkindly, but these sorts of questions always make me a bit confused. I remember DD having to do a mini project on her name in reception. She had to ask us why she was called what she was called andfind out what her names meant. I can't imagine responding "we had no idea so we asked strangers on the internet". confused

She's 2 days old. You have weeks to look at names and pick one.

calzone Sat 05-Nov-16 08:54:57

I was going to say Beatrice .

She will spend her life spelling Kira if you go for that.

I ❤️ Beatrice.

INeedNewShoes Sat 05-Nov-16 08:58:10

Elspeth
Georgia
Helena
Roberta
Frances

Are not popular at the moment I don't think.

MadameSilva Sat 05-Nov-16 09:57:43

Agree with pp that you have six weeks to decide. I like Phoebe, I think these are in a similar vein

Daisy
Katie
Matilda
Tabitha

SausageSoda Sat 05-Nov-16 10:00:03

Phoebe is good. Kira is awful.

Congrats on your DD flowers

EweAreHere Sat 05-Nov-16 10:07:08

Georgia
Nora
Anna
Ada
Tilly
Tessa

Bluntness100 Sat 05-Nov-16 10:09:01

I don't like the name phoebe so much. Reminds me of the program friends. Beatrice I think is quite old fashioned, simply because my step great grandmother was called it. She was called bea. So it's a bit like beryl on my mind.

Annabelle
Emma
Rose
Summer
April

HeCantBeSerious Sat 05-Nov-16 10:22:40

Summer would be an ironic name, surely? As would April....... confused

Blu Sat 05-Nov-16 10:28:15

Phoebe is lovely, Beatrice is lovely.

People will pronounce Kira Ky-ra.

HoggleIsMyFriend Sat 05-Nov-16 10:33:54

Carla
Carly
Clara

Georgia
Jennifer
Charlotte

TheCakes Sat 05-Nov-16 10:33:56

Eliza
Evelyn
Martha
Roisin (pn Rosheen)
Louisa

ShmooBooMoo Sat 05-Nov-16 10:35:59

Nina

Chloe

Thea

Nell

Northernlurker Sat 05-Nov-16 10:40:00

Funnily enough I was going to say Beatrice when I read the start of your post. I have one and it's a lovely name.

Martha
Alicia
Kathryn

RockinHippy Sat 05-Nov-16 10:52:20

I never understand people who add to these threads, ignore the question, add nothing & then just bitch at the OP or pass sarcy remarks, ffs, get a bloody life hmm

I offer...
Nadia
Edith
Iona,
Enya

Sophronia Sat 05-Nov-16 11:02:36

Alexandra
Aphra
Anna
Charlotte
Claudia
Cora
Emma
Esther
Florence
Flora
Georgina
Georgia
Harriet
Hannah
Julia
Juliet
Josephine
Jasmine
Joanna
Jemima
Kezia
Lucy
Lydia
Lois
Lara
Leah
Martha
Mary
Matilda
Margot
Madeleine
Penelope
Philippa
Rachel
Rebecca
Ruth
Rosa
Susanna/h
Sadie
Sarah
Thea
Tabitha
Violet
Verity
Willow
Willa
Zoe
Zara

ImperialBlether Sat 05-Nov-16 11:07:35

Ciara is nicer than Kira. Ciara Rose?

TyrionLannistersShadow Sat 05-Nov-16 11:10:13

I think honestly if you're going to call her 'Keira' then at least spell it correctly, it's Ciara and it means dark haired in old Irish apparently. It's a lovely name though.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 05-Nov-16 12:13:21

Hi Redkite, many congratulations on your baby daughter.
Out of your list, I like Abigail, it's lovely.
Abigail Rose
Abigail Isobel
Abigail Ruby
Abigail Helen
Abigail Beatrice
Abigail Phoebe
Abigail Kathryn

Barefootcontessa84 Sat 05-Nov-16 13:33:51

HeCantBeSerious why not scrap the baby name board all together then, and for that matter why are you hanging out on it? hmm.
There's nothing wrong with the OP (or anyone else) using it as a sounding board, and it does not mean a stranger off the internet picked her name....

OP here's a vote for Beatrice!

Diamondsandpears Sat 05-Nov-16 13:41:16

Anya
Nathan and Anya

Coconutty Sat 05-Nov-16 13:51:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

roseteapot101 Sat 05-Nov-16 14:04:27

what about Adelaide or Josephine hardly use yet so lovely

Redkite10a Sat 05-Nov-16 14:32:20

Thanks for all the suggestions, we've been staring blankly at name lists without coming up with any more ideas and there have been some ones we really like in your suggestions.

I don't see it as a stranger off the Internet picking DD's name, we're going to go with the name we like best not the one with most votes.

I'm less keen on Ciara although I like it better as a spelling, because it's the same initial as my name. I have the same initial as my Mum and it caused no end of confusion with whose post was whose. If we spell it Keira will that make people think we've called her after Keira Knightly?

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sat 05-Nov-16 15:44:14

Kira is lovely, but will be forever pronounced K-eye-ra which will drive you and her mad, but. It won't be peoples fault as most people pronounce names as they're spelt unless its an established spelling eg Isla.
Therefore. If you want to pronounced K-ee-ra spell it the conventional way either Keira or Ceira.
Congratulation. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now