Talk

Advanced search

What could Maisie be short for?

(25 Posts)
Baboobaboo Fri 04-Nov-16 23:47:54

I really like the name Maisie but don't like any of the common long names it's short for, like Margaret or Mary, but not sure about it as a name in its own right. I like a name that works on an adult too.

Any ideas - what could it be a nickname for?

TheDisillusionedAnarchist Fri 04-Nov-16 23:49:44

Rumaisa. But I'd say it's fine as a name in its own right.

Baboobaboo Fri 04-Nov-16 23:57:40

Thanks, I've never heard of Rumaisa before.

I do think it would stand as a name in its own but worry it sounds 'little girly' for when she's older. I do love it though.

IAmNotACat Sat 05-Nov-16 00:06:42

Maiara

HoratioNightboy Sat 05-Nov-16 00:11:27

I do think it would stand as a name in its own

It has been an independent name for over 400 years. Why would you want to make it a "short" again? If you like it just use it.

Sophronia Sat 05-Nov-16 08:11:21

Mairead

Baboobaboo Sat 05-Nov-16 08:12:36

It's not a name in its own right, if you look up its origin, it's a diminutive of Margaret. I just don't like Margaret.

Pluto30 Sat 05-Nov-16 08:16:05

May with the nickname Maisie.

exLtEveDallas Sat 05-Nov-16 08:17:19

This isn't really a serious suggestion - it's just a coincidental one for me... I've just started watching "Lucifer" on Amazon and the devils 'pet' demon is called Maisie or Maze as a nickname...I had wondered what her full name was. Apparently it's Mazikeen (which despite its devilish connotations, I really like!)

(But no, I don't think you could name your DD after a demon)

rainyinnovember Sat 05-Nov-16 08:18:18

Mabel? smile

exLtEveDallas Sat 05-Nov-16 08:18:41

Oh and I know a few Maisie's - one is 84 and I don't think she minds that her name is 'too girly'

Pluto30 Sat 05-Nov-16 08:18:54

OP, according to behindthename, it's a diminutive of Mairead, and that's a diminutive of Margaret.

For what it's worth, a lot of standalone names are originally diminutives. For example, Madeleine is a diminutive of Magdalene, but no one uses it as a shortened form. They're separate, standalone names.

mineallmine Sat 05-Nov-16 08:19:21

My late aunt Maisie was Mary on her birth cert but Maisie all her life. I don't think it's too girly for an adult at all, probably because I only ever knew my Maisie as an adult.

chatnanny Sat 05-Nov-16 08:21:51

A lot of names started off as diminutives but have become stand alone names such as Jack for John and Sally for Sarah, Harry for Henry. It was well enough established as a name for Henry James in 'What Maisie Knew' published 1897 (great book). It can always be shortened to May. If you like it go for it, it's pretty and not over-used.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sat 05-Nov-16 08:23:06

If you look around the baby names board for long, or the average reception class for 5 mins you will soon realise that a 40yr old called Maisie will be one of the lucky ones!!

Consider too that some teachers insist on using full names, same with drs etc. Call her a name you love. If she really hates it when older she can change it but that can happen with any name.

Baboobaboo Sat 05-Nov-16 08:23:42

Thanks guys, lovely suggestions but also lots of reassurance that it stands alone and can work when she's older.

Baboobaboo Sat 05-Nov-16 08:25:03

Yes I loved the book what Maisie knew, it's whete I first heard the name years ago!

Cucumber5 Sat 05-Nov-16 08:25:49

Maeve

Baboobaboo Sat 05-Nov-16 08:26:32

That's a really good point snout teachers using the long name, I hadn't thought of that but now you mention it, my nephew now insists on being known as his long name because that's what his teacher calls him!

Baboobaboo Sat 05-Nov-16 08:27:26

About, not snout!

MargotsDevil Sat 05-Nov-16 08:31:49

Mairead is Gaelic not a diminutive!

BlackNo1 Sat 05-Nov-16 08:39:24

The bearer of any name will be an adult for more years than they will a child.

I believe children grow into their names and/or own them as the grow. So by the time your Maisie is fully grown, she will be 'Maisie' the adult. Her name will not be out of place and she could change or shorten it then if she wishes to.
I don't get the trend for selecting a long name as well as a short one for the child to choose later in life.
Maisie is good name on it's own smile.

For what it's worth, a lot of standalone names are originally diminutives. For example, Madeleine is a diminutive of Magdalene, but no one uses it as a shortened form. They're separate, standalone names

^^ And this

BlackNo1 Sat 05-Nov-16 08:40:48

its own

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 05-Nov-16 08:43:07

Maisie, is lovely name on it's own.
A great name for a baby, little girl, right through to an old lady.
I love it. 😄

Str4ngedaysindeed Sat 05-Nov-16 08:48:04

Our Maisie is 26 now and when she was born there were very few little girls with the name - we into knew of one in fact and got a lot of raised eyebrows! She does get called May occasionally but on the whole is maisie as a name on its own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now