Talk

Advanced search

Opinions on Charlotte?

(58 Posts)
rivvi Fri 28-Oct-16 22:05:05

Baby girl is here, I feel like she's a Charlotte. Although we had decided on Layla/Leila!

Do you prefer Layla/Leila or Charlotte?

Thanks

Pluto30 Fri 28-Oct-16 22:10:26

I like Charlotte, but it is very popular.

I also like Layla. I prefer this spelling because it's the way its spelt in the song by Derek and the Dominos/Eric Clapton.

I'd choose Layla purely because of the popularity of Charlotte.

Chinlo Fri 28-Oct-16 22:12:24

I really like Charlotte in that it's a classic traditional name but not a boring one.

But I also like Layla a lot and always have done, thanks to Eric Clapton. It's a lovely name.

Bellaposey Fri 28-Oct-16 22:12:41

Charlotte is beautiful and timeless. I know it's high in the baby names list but I don't know a baby Charlotte (and I go to lots of baby groups).

booellesmum Fri 28-Oct-16 22:14:49

Charlotte - biased though as it's DDs middle name.

daisydalrymple Fri 28-Oct-16 22:23:31

Absolutely love Charlotte, it was on our list had dc3 been a girl. (He was born 6 months before princess C but we would still have used it. I like to think Kate was keeping up with the daisies...) Both beautiful names though and would go well together with either combination of first / middle name.

However, I went to school with a Leila and she's the only one I've ever known, so if popularity is an issue then go with Leila.

daisydalrymple Fri 28-Oct-16 22:24:26

Ps I spelt it Leila as that's how my friend did, but I think Layla looks equally as pretty

MrsDallowaySaid Fri 28-Oct-16 22:26:52

Charlotte is DD's middle name and I sort of wish I'd saved it for if we have DD2. I love it.

Mollymoo78 Fri 28-Oct-16 22:35:03

Charlotte is a beautiful name. Much nicer than Layla.

katiegg Fri 28-Oct-16 22:39:18

I pronounce Layla and Leila differently - Layla like lie-la and Leila like lay-la... sorry, that's maybe not helpful!

I love Charlotte though - traditional, feminine and strong. I also don't know any Charlottes, so although it seems to be regularly suggested, it doesn't seem particularly popular in real life.

sonlypuppyfat Fri 28-Oct-16 22:41:09

Love charlotte it's beautiful

DeathByMascara Fri 28-Oct-16 22:46:07

katiegg I don't mean to offend you, but your post did make me smile - your explanation of the spellings and their phonetics are the wrong way round. I.e Leila is pronounced lay-la, but Layla is pronounced Lei-la. You're not wrong but it made me laugh all the same!

Dontrocktheboat Fri 28-Oct-16 22:51:13

They are both nice - I think I know more Leila/ Laylas personally, and think this may date more. Don't think you can go wrong with either - though if you feel she is a Charlotte I would go for Charlotte Leila!

Grumpyoldblonde Fri 28-Oct-16 22:53:38

I have a Layla so I like it, buti Charlotte is such a beautiful classic name. Charlotte could be anyone, prime minister, queen; lawyer, shop assistant. It's timeless and classless. I love the name Charlotte

Loyly Fri 28-Oct-16 22:54:11

You feel like she's Charlotte so you should definitely use it.

notagiraffe Fri 28-Oct-16 22:57:24

I love Charlotte. Slightly put off Layla because six people Dh worked with had babies within months of each other and called them Layla, Leila, Leela, Lila, Lola and Lula. Didn't even seem to notice it was odd.

But the Leilas I know are both absolutely lovely.

DoYouRememberJustinBobby Fri 28-Oct-16 22:59:16

Charlotte is much nicer.

lottiegarbanzo Fri 28-Oct-16 23:12:58

Charlotte is ace. You may wish to form an opinion on the acceptability of Charlie as a nn. There are other options.

Layla is lovely (prefer that to Leila lie-la) but quite fashionable at the mo, similar sensibility to Evie, Amelie etc. IMO.

BarInSpace Fri 28-Oct-16 23:27:36

Layla

DramaAlpaca Fri 28-Oct-16 23:32:24

If you feel she's a Charlotte, that's what you should call her - as long as your partner is on board, of course.

I like it better than Leila/Layla, it's more classic and versatile.

Sophronia Sat 29-Oct-16 08:51:44

Definitely Charlotte

stonygreysoil Sat 29-Oct-16 08:54:58

Charlotte. Beautiful and timeless. Lottie, Charlie, Lola, all available as NN.

Go with your current inspiration.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 29-Oct-16 09:11:57

Charlotte, timeless, classic.
Fit for a Princess ! 😄

rainbow99 Sat 29-Oct-16 10:31:19

Definitely Charlotte, classic timeless and pretty with a variety of nns.
I'm not a fan of Layla at all and wouldn't class it as classic or timeless

JustSpeakSense Sat 29-Oct-16 15:15:31

My daughter has 5 friends called Charlotte it gets so confusing....very very common name and therefore I really don't like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now