Talk

Advanced search

Van for a boy? And middle name ideas!

(52 Posts)
Pebbles0934 Tue 25-Oct-16 07:54:21

Hi I like Van for a boy but wanted to see opinions first as I know it's a big car etc! We like it from Van Morrison and also it is a name on its own in Vietnam meaning literature!
(However, I know it won't be to most people's taste)
If it's a name you think is ok, any middle name ideas?
Other name idea is Abel. But we already have a biblical boys name so didn't want to go with that trend really! Also have a daughter with a flowery girl name and a son with an unusual name similar to Cai.

Thanks for any input (not too harsh please!)

CupofTeaTime Tue 25-Oct-16 08:01:50

Personally it's a no from me, he'd forever be getting teased about being a van (of the vehicle description!)

NavyandWhite Tue 25-Oct-16 08:02:07

No way.

blueskyinmarch Tue 25-Oct-16 08:02:27

I am going to be honest, before i noticed this was in Baby names i thought it was aChristmas thread asking where someone could get a toy van for their child. I love Van Morrison too but i am not keen on it as a name for a baby somehow. His name is a shortening of the name Ivan. Could you use that and use Van as a nn?

Eminybob Tue 25-Oct-16 08:09:17

I didn't know Van Morrison was short for Ivan. I thought it was his whole surname, a bit like Von Trapp blush

AnnetteKertan Tue 25-Oct-16 08:09:26

I actually know a Van, although registered as Evander. How about using that instead?

As for middle names I think Cameron works well

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 25-Oct-16 08:11:32

Yes I thought you should use it as a shortening for Ivan too. Even just to appease snide remarks of 'Oh, Van! That's..... iiiiiinteresting'... You can say 'oh, he's an Ivan.' But I see that that's a silly reason for giving someone a name. Anyway. I have a Cuban friend Ivan, pron. ee-VAN rather than EYE-vun, so could work.

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 25-Oct-16 08:12:04

Oh Evander is amazing!!

ajandjjmum Tue 25-Oct-16 08:13:16

I knew a Van as a teenager - he was always considered rather cool. I am very old though.

BeingATwatItsABingThing Tue 25-Oct-16 08:13:40

Please don't call your child Van. As a nickname, fine but not as their whole name.

MsQueenie Tue 25-Oct-16 08:14:38

What about Evan?

Otherwise Van Halen smile

TeaPleaseLouise Tue 25-Oct-16 08:15:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sgoinneal Tue 25-Oct-16 08:15:50

Definitely Ivan mn Van

defineme Tue 25-Oct-16 08:19:13

Lead singer of catfish and the bottlemen is a van after van morrisson, I love him and think it's a nice name. Abel is the baby in sons of anarchy to me, I prefer it and really like Abe too, is it more popular in America, my ds2 has a name unheard of outside of Shakespeare but 10 a penny in the US. Be brave op, there's a lot of nonsense about abbreviations and stuff, but you can do it.

user1471507699 Tue 25-Oct-16 08:19:30

Do you have Vietnamese links? To me it sounds a bit like a surname. I knew someone whose surname was van der Xxxx. It is growing on me a bit as I think about it but he will get lots of comments. Personally I'd use a longer form.

ExcellentWorkThereMary Tue 25-Oct-16 08:20:26

My first thought was middle name Halen.. I love Evander though, with Van as a nn. Ivan is a great name too.

GinIsIn Tue 25-Oct-16 08:23:41

Do you have any connection to or heritage from Vietnam? I know 2 guys called Van, but they are both Vietnamese. Might be better to use it as a nickname as PPs have suggested?

defineme Tue 25-Oct-16 08:23:48

Van morrisson was called van at primary school age according to wiki, I know it is an abbreviation of his middle name, but that's very common, my own brother is nsmed after my dad but has always gone by an abbreviation of his middle name.

Thingvellir Tue 25-Oct-16 08:34:26

I like Van on its own. I love Evander nn Van

purplefox Tue 25-Oct-16 08:44:01

I'd use it as a nickname for something, it wouldn't be the actual name - Evander, Vander, Evan, Elvan, Jovan, Vance

ClaudiaApfelstrudel Tue 25-Oct-16 08:53:24

it's an absolutely dreadful name sorry OP but don't punish your son for the rest of his life with this!

TeaPleaseLouise Tue 25-Oct-16 08:58:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pluto30 Tue 25-Oct-16 09:00:25

I also know an Evander with the nn Van. I like that more.

butterflymum Tue 25-Oct-16 09:06:41

For middle, possibly 'Ellis' - depending on how it and 'Van' sound with your surname.

PotatoBread Tue 25-Oct-16 09:09:00

I hate Van on its own but the I do have a strong dislike for Van Morrison grin Agree with others suggestions - as a nn for Ivan or Evander it's fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now