Talk

Advanced search

We are down to 7! Help?

(45 Posts)
Plumbobby Tue 18-Oct-16 23:53:47

Our son's due date is Christmas Day smile his middle name will be Nicholas.

Our final 7:
- Alexander Nicholas
- Benjamin Nicholas
- Edward Nicholas
- Frederick Nicholas
- George Nicholas
- Louis Nicholas
- William Nicholas

Which is your favourite?

We like all the potential NNs, but will probably just see what develops - so will probably just be the obvious Alex, Ben, Ed, etc.

Surname is just embarrassing, so I won't put it grin but it begins with an S and is 2 syllables.

Thank you!!!

InfiniteCurve Tue 18-Oct-16 23:55:28

Edward Nicholas!

QuodPeriitPeriit Wed 19-Oct-16 00:00:09

I love them all, and can't decide - you have great taste in names! <helpful>

Alexander Nicholas S_ is lots of s sounds so I might avoid that, and George is my least favourite of what's left, but beyond that I like them all.

You can't go wrong really!

IamSwitzerland Wed 19-Oct-16 00:05:14

Alexander is my favourite, please avoid

Fred Nic
Ed Nic
Bill Nic
Willy Nic
Lou Nic

You see where I am going with this? I think the trick is to pick the name you like and then also the nickname so it can be implemented early before school starts and chooses one you don't want. Love the christmas referencing grin

YellowPirate Wed 19-Oct-16 00:06:28

I like Frederick best I think. Fred or Freddie are really nice nicknames. I also like Louis but think it could cause pronunciation problems (I would assume Louie but I expect a lot of people would say Lewis). X

Fozzleyplum Wed 19-Oct-16 00:09:34

I like Edward best. All are fine, but I'm not keen on Louis. Initials ANS might get him the nickname "Anus" (would have done at DH's school!) so that might put me off Alexander.

Plumbobby Wed 19-Oct-16 00:20:09

Thanks everyone! Very helpful smile

PointlessUsername Wed 19-Oct-16 00:20:23

Alexander Nicholas.

BadToTheBone Wed 19-Oct-16 00:21:07

Edward or William.

woowoowoo Wed 19-Oct-16 00:30:19

Alexander!

Classic timeless name with ability to shorten to Alex or Al.

I am biased though! Our Dd has Alexandra as her middle name and I love it! Wish it was mine! Sounds so dignified! Ha!

BeastofCraggyIsland Wed 19-Oct-16 00:37:03

They're all lovely, you have excellent taste in names! My favourite is Alexander but I also love Edward and William; least favourite would be Louis but it's not a bad name or anything, I just prefer the others.

CakeRattleandRoll Wed 19-Oct-16 00:43:12

Favourites are Edward and Louis.

sonlypuppyfat Wed 19-Oct-16 00:48:04

Fred makes me angry such an ugly name, the rest of your names are nice

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Wed 19-Oct-16 00:52:12

I like Benjamin smile

LucyBabs Wed 19-Oct-16 00:57:49

Alexander definitely smile

I really dislike Freddie recently... Its just too "made in Chelsea" or something.. it is a great name but just the associations are fake.. Such a pity..

Anyway congrats plum flowers

KoalaDownUnder Wed 19-Oct-16 01:01:31

Alexander or William.

I also hate Frederick/Fred/Freddie.

Chinlo Wed 19-Oct-16 01:28:42

Alexander for sure!

Rainbowqueeen Wed 19-Oct-16 01:32:41

Benjamin!

oldlaundbooth Wed 19-Oct-16 01:48:40

Love Louis and Edward.

Also like Nicholas as a first name.....

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Wed 19-Oct-16 01:58:15

Benjamin!

Congratulations!

Eeeek686 Wed 19-Oct-16 02:07:56

Edward (my granddad's name was Ted - short for Edward - and I've Always loved it) or William.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 19-Oct-16 04:48:22

William or Louis

devondream Wed 19-Oct-16 04:51:25

Love them all. But Benjamin has a special place in my heart.

Foxtato Wed 19-Oct-16 05:05:31

Love Edward Nicholas

Jupiter2Mars Wed 19-Oct-16 05:17:21

Great Names but to help eliminate, how about?

Think about his initials
His initials will be BS if you choose Benjamin.

Louis - is that Loueee or Lewis? To save him answering that question for his whole life, you could choose one of the others.

Alexander was massively popular 10 years ago. So, when he's 50, people will think he's older based on his name. (This one is a bit spurious but I have a name that was popular 10 years before I was born. I guess my parents thought it sounded fresh and new, but now it just sounds old fashioned and even older than I am).

Edward is good, because it has lots of options for your Ds to pick from depending on what he wants - Ted, Ed, Eddie as well as Edward. Ditto William.

To save him constantly being George S or Ed S at school due to there being 2 others with the same name in his class, I'd tend to favour the least common. This is the 2014 top 10 according to the ONS:

1Oliver
2Jack
3Harry
4Jacob
5Charlie
6Thomas
7George
8Oscar
9James
10William

Personally, I am less keen on Frederick and Louis, and I like the sound of Ben best if you don't mind the BS teasing when he's in his teens..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now