Talk

Advanced search

Girl names

(21 Posts)
OnTheBrink82 Tue 18-Oct-16 06:22:59

Hi all, I'm (over)due with my second and it's a girl. DS is Harry. I love the name Inka (German/Finnish) but DH says it's too unusual and people will think it refers to the ancient Incas. Thoughts? Brutal honesty appreciated.

PlugUgly Tue 18-Oct-16 06:28:51

Doesn't really 'go' with DS name and I know a dog with that name, sorry

StylishDuck Tue 18-Oct-16 06:33:46

It's kind of irrelevant what we think really because you need to find a name you both love rather than persuade DH to pick a name he's not keen on. There were plenty of names I liked for DD that DH vetoed and vice versa before we came up with one we both loved.

How about Ingrid?

Diamondsandpurls Tue 18-Oct-16 06:37:22

Astrid? So pretty

OnTheBrink82 Tue 18-Oct-16 06:52:35

I love Astrid, and I like Ingrid (Inka is a variant). But I'm more interested in your opinions on the name Inka - do you think it's too out there and too associated with Incas/Aztecs?

AmyInTheBoonies Tue 18-Oct-16 07:14:31

I didn't think Incas when I read it - it just sounded Scandinavian to me. But I am quite into Scandi culture.

I think if it calls to mind Incas for most people it would put me off.

sonlypuppyfat Tue 18-Oct-16 07:47:37

I know an Inga Inka is too much like inca

Sugarpiehoneyeye Tue 18-Oct-16 08:45:24

Children can be very cruel, Stinker!

Sugarpiehoneyeye Tue 18-Oct-16 08:46:43

OP, sorry, just realised you may not live in the UK., in which case, I like it.

WaitroseCoffeeCostaCup Tue 18-Oct-16 08:51:04

Absolutely LOVE Inka, it is beautiful and it does go with Harry! Good luck and let us know what you choose!

OnTheBrink82 Tue 18-Oct-16 09:34:43

Sugarpiehoneyeye - I also thought of stinker! But it's no worse than smelly for Ellie etc. wink

Sugarpiehoneyeye Tue 18-Oct-16 10:18:16

Brink, too true !
It is a lovely name, I only mentioned it, as you asked for brutal honesty.
Dare I ask, will she have a middle name ? 😄

OnTheBrink82 Tue 18-Oct-16 10:21:17

Yup, middle name options for Inka are Rose and Neve. We might use Neve as the first name if DH doesn't come round on Inka.

skyyequake Tue 18-Oct-16 10:26:30

I think its pretty, unusual if you're in the UK but in a nice way. I thought it sounded scandanavian too. You will get a lot of people writing it down "Inca" though, the same way an Ana will get lots of "Anna" and a Rachael will get "Rachel"... So you'll have to get used to saying "Inka with a k" grin

PotatoBread Tue 18-Oct-16 11:30:01

Yes, my first thought when I heard Inka was the Incas and if I had to spell it without seeing it I would spell it Inca. It really doesn't go with Harry IMO and surely it's a non-runner anyway if your DH doesn't like it? Best to find a name that you both like.

Agree with a PP that Ingrid is a good compromise. Or Iris.

sonlypuppyfat Tue 18-Oct-16 12:43:00

My friends husband is called Neve

PotatoBread Tue 18-Oct-16 12:46:57

I Wouldn't ever associate it as a male name - whilst I don't like the name I've only ever met females called Neve/Niamh

sonlypuppyfat Tue 18-Oct-16 12:58:28

potatobread he's not British

BeastofCraggyIsland Tue 18-Oct-16 14:03:12

I definitely thought of the Incas - the original Quechua spelling is actually Inka and it means something like 'ruler' or 'lord' (I lived and worked in Peru and Bolivia for a while).

My other immediate thought was a black Labrador - I have quite a few canine patients called Inca, and it also sounds very like Tinker, which is another common name on our client list!

I went to school with a girl called Inga who had Scandinavian heritage. I think that is more easily recognised/spelled as a name for a person.

NorahBhone Tue 18-Oct-16 14:08:12

If someone introduced themselves to me as Inka, I would assume it's spelt Inca or that I had misheard Inga.

I'd also be worried about my child being known as Inka the stinker (or something similar - I was at school with a Ray who was known as 'gay ray')

minipie Tue 18-Oct-16 14:28:18

I would certainly spell it Inca. I'll be honest I'm not too keen on Inka or Inca.

I love Inga, Astrid and Ingrid. Neve is good too. How about Ida, Irina, Anouk, Maeve, Lise?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now