Talk

Advanced search

Is this an awful idea?

(14 Posts)
Gardencentregroupie Thu 13-Oct-16 19:57:12

Expecting DC2 in March, already have one girl (Lucy). Early stages of debating names obviously, but DH suggested Jessica. I love the name Jessica but my old family dog (died in 2007) was Jess. Will my parents sister and family friends all think I've named my child after the dog? Would that be so terrible anyway? If it makes a difference, she was a rescue dog so we didn't name her. And she was a bloody brilliant dog.

Yika Thu 13-Oct-16 20:00:27

Such a lovely name and I don't think the dog connection would rule it out at all. But run it past your family?

Sandsnake Thu 13-Oct-16 20:00:39

I think it's fine (says the woman who's son shares a name with her parents' cat...)!

Gardencentregroupie Thu 13-Oct-16 20:03:43

Lol I'm not running names past my family, some of their opinions lie on the harsh side of honest! I've told them the baby is being named after a Harry Potter character grin

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 13-Oct-16 20:56:15

Garden, you go girl, It's a wonderful name !
Lots of love xxx

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Thu 13-Oct-16 21:04:56

I think it's a lovely name and I'm very picky with names! It's a nice memory. I nearly called our DS the same name as my guinea pig grin

Foxtato Mon 17-Oct-16 15:23:06

I think it's fine as it will become your childs name and won't be a problem.

Nelleflowerpot Mon 17-Oct-16 18:41:46

It's fine!
But my DD middle name is the same as our old cat who I named when I was 5 😳. I do love the name and it also is a diminutive of both my grandmothers names one first and one middle name (neither used the full version so it was a perfect way to honor both).
It just shows I always loved this name. But my DM loves saying I named my DD after a cat hmm.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Mon 17-Oct-16 18:44:14

Both my cousin and close friend named their child after my dog.
Well, maybe not quite after him grin, but the same name.

It's OK.

handonhip Tue 18-Oct-16 11:16:02

Totally fine; I would definitely go for it. Great choice.

pictish Tue 18-Oct-16 11:17:41

Jessica is fine. Lots of dogs get called Jess...it really doesn't matter.

Honeybee79 Wed 19-Oct-16 12:02:13

Go for it. We gave DS a name that happened to be the same name as my parents' cat (cat had died a couple of years before). It was fine.

MrsNuckyThompson Wed 19-Oct-16 15:52:17

My DH is named after a much loved - and dead by the time he was born- dog of his fathers. If you love the name, GFI

pilates Wed 19-Oct-16 17:32:04

No. It's a great name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now