Talk

Advanced search

Opinions on naming son similar to mum!

(19 Posts)
minniem0use Thu 13-Oct-16 17:05:31

For example Danielle / Daniel or Michelle / Michael.

I have the feminine form of name that has been used a lot in my family (historically), and for my first born son I would love to use it and I also really love the boy form of the name.

My DH loves the name, as do my parents but will everyone else just be eyes to the sky thinking I am naming him after myself not knowing the family link? (Don't know why I care what they'd think but can't help it!)

SpotTheDuck Thu 13-Oct-16 17:20:32

Well people will assume he's named after you, but I don't think that's a bad thing. It's really common for boys to be named after their fathers, why not after their mothers too? Also if baby will have DH's surname then it's nice they get a name from you as well.

My boy's name references mine (same meaning) which was deliberate, although nobody seems to have picked up on it yet!

SorenaJ Thu 13-Oct-16 17:50:46

I think that would be nice, if you have a family name like that. Go for it.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 13-Oct-16 17:58:17

I think that would be lovely.
We also have a family name, I named my Son, the masculine form of my name.
Go for it OP !

SaltyMyDear Thu 13-Oct-16 17:59:40

I wouldn't do it.

I know a John and a Joan, and it was just confusing lots of times as to who people were talking about.....

MotherDuckSaid Thu 13-Oct-16 18:59:57

men have had the privilege for generations , go for it- i think its a great idea smile

grannytomine Thu 13-Oct-16 19:02:50

I have the feminine form of my father's name, well names as my first and middle names as the same as his were. I always felt really special because I was the one who had his name. Never thought what anyone else might think, I love it so who cares. Very special to me as he died when I was a child but hope you don't do that!

minniem0use Thu 13-Oct-16 19:13:06

Thanks for the feedback. You've given me a bit of confidence about it!

minniem0use Thu 13-Oct-16 19:13:11

Thanks for the feedback. You've given me a bit of confidence about it!

YellowPirate Thu 13-Oct-16 19:14:19

My nephew has a very similar name to my sister in law and it's so confusing, they are both always getting called the wrong one, even by my brother! So personally I wouldn't. X

Lessthanaballpark Thu 13-Oct-16 19:16:54

You should definitely do it. I nearly called DS the masculine equivalent of my name but there would have been 4 of us in the family with the same diminutive so I thought it would be a bit confusing!

DramaAlpaca Thu 13-Oct-16 20:34:28

I think it's fine. DS has a similar name to mine, not the masculine form of it but it sounds similar. Nobody has ever commented on it.

Chinlo Thu 13-Oct-16 20:40:06

As PPs have said, men give their sons the EXACT same name and nobody blinks an eye, so why shouldn't you give him the masculine version of his mother's name?!

wobblywonderwoman Thu 13-Oct-16 20:45:58

I totally would - why not.

I was going to give ds the masculine version of my name but it is a little old fashioned (not in a good way either - no Kevin or Brian but sort of like that) grin

LizardBreath Thu 13-Oct-16 20:46:33

I think it's odd but that's just me. I know an alex with a daughter of Alexa and it just seems too self indulgent!

If you all like it though I wouldn't worry what others think.

PunkAssMoFo Thu 13-Oct-16 21:44:20

I've always thought naming a child after yourself was slightly narcissistic. Like creating a mini me. I think it's nice to give children their own identity, but get why some choose middle names for tradition. Each to their own.

MadisonAvenue Thu 13-Oct-16 21:50:18

My son has a similar name to mine. I go by the shortened version of my name which is the same as his (quite like your Dani/Danny example OP).
I really struggled with giving him his name as it seemed narcissistic but after two weeks of trying out many names we came back to it because it was the only one which truly suited him.

9troubledwaters Thu 13-Oct-16 21:52:37

My boy's name is Evan after my maiden surname Evans, I haven't come across anyone thinking its egotistical - its keeping the link going. Go for it smile

sycamore54321 Fri 14-Oct-16 00:15:08

Personally I don't like the idea and I feel even more strongly about the father-son identical name tradition. As someone else said, your child is an individual and to me deserves his own her own identity. I also don't like the idea of any family tradition dictating naming of the next generation. Middle names can accommodate all that if desired but I would like to think my name was chosen specifically for me, not just firstborn-will-be-called-after-X or whatever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now