Talk

Advanced search

Using name we love or family name

(12 Posts)
YellowPirate Sun 09-Oct-16 22:41:10

Due in 3 weeks and don't know whether it's a boy or a girl. We've finally decided on a boys' name but stuck between 2 girls' names.

We've had the same girls' name at the top of our list for years. I love it and think it's the most beautiful name ever. I'm excited about using it of it turns out to be a girl.. ..however my Grandma died at the beginning of my pregnancy, Just before we found out. She also had a lovely name and I'd love to name the baby after her too.

I'm completely stuck between the two. We already have middle names sorted - one from each side and as I've said for years and years that my first daughter would have my other grandma's name as her middle name, it wouldn't feel right dropping one grandma's name for the other.

I'm hoping if it comes out as a girl, I'll know one way or the other. Dh is happy with either. Any thoughts? Should we go for the name we've loved for years (which also goes much better with our surname) or name the baby after my lovely grandma? I can't help thinking I'll regret it either way.

ErrolTheDragon Sun 09-Oct-16 22:44:36

The name you love and then two middle names, both grandmas?

neonrainbow Sun 09-Oct-16 22:46:39

Add another middle name. Use the name you've loved for years as a first name. I'm a great believer in kids having a first name that is all their own.

pictish Sun 09-Oct-16 22:46:53

Go with the name you love. x

YellowPirate Sun 09-Oct-16 22:47:07

I'd love that, but we have an agreement for a middle name from each side of the family and dh has a name he wants to use just as much.

dodobookends Sun 09-Oct-16 22:47:16

Yes, use both - our dd ended up with two middle names for a similar reason.

WeArePregnant11 Sun 09-Oct-16 22:49:53

The name you love. And then each of you gets to pick a middle name?

YellowPirate Tue 11-Oct-16 13:21:12

I think we are going for the name we love. I feel a bit sad not to be using my grandma's, but I'd feel sad either way. The name we've chosen is Sylvie, which we've loved for years. Although I wonder if I might get emotional when it's born and change my mind!

0pti0na1 Tue 11-Oct-16 18:25:23

Go with the name you love. It doesn't mean you think any less of your Grandma just because you don't use her name (most people don't).

ample Tue 11-Oct-16 18:35:31

Yellow - good decision to go with the name you love. If you change your mind after the birth then you change your mind. Many do.
For now however, go with the name you love most. I'm a firm believer in doing that; over honouring a family member (and their name/s could always be added after the first name anyway, like you are already planning to do).
Sylvie is beautiful.

ample Tue 11-Oct-16 18:45:41

Yellow - good decision to go with the name you love. If you change your mind after the birth then you change your mind. Many do.
For now however, go with the name you love most. I'm a firm believer in doing that; over honouring a family member (and their name/s could always be added after the first name anyway, like you are already planning to do).
Sylvie is beautiful.

Ilovewillow Tue 11-Oct-16 18:48:19

Sylvie is a lovely name! Go with the name you love and two middle names. My son has two middle names for his grandpas and a name we love for his first name!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now