We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Opinions?

(18 Posts)
MrsSecker Wed 28-Sep-16 18:40:56

Opinions please on the name Molly/Mollie?

sonlypuppyfat Wed 28-Sep-16 18:44:11

Nice unoffencive name

WussyWat Wed 28-Sep-16 18:45:40

It's nice enough, very popular where I live, DD has 3 in class - 2 Mollys and 1 Mollie smile

strawberrypenguin Wed 28-Sep-16 18:48:10

I like it. Would spell it Molly

Gazelda Wed 28-Sep-16 18:48:39

I like it. It's friendly. Quite popular though if that bothers you.

IAmALionTamer Wed 28-Sep-16 18:50:07

I like it, agree with strawberry and would spell it Molly

MrsSecker Wed 28-Sep-16 18:51:09

Great thanks ladies! Didn't realise it was so popular as I've never met anyone or heard of a child round my way with the name. I wasn't wanting one that was very popular so may need a rethink.. Shame as I really do like it!

strawberrypenguin Wed 28-Sep-16 18:54:25

Just because it's popular in some areas/ on ONS list doesn't necessarily mean it's popular where you are. For example DS1 is William, always a top 10 name. There's only one other in his school year and DS goes by a shortening of his name and the other doesn't. Looking at the stats for it you'd think there would be more!

chinlo Wed 28-Sep-16 20:41:44

It's only 46 on the ONS list though, not exactly super popular! And it seems to be going down in popularity over the last few years too, so for her age there will be even fewer.

MrsSecker Wed 28-Sep-16 20:54:54

Valid points re the popularity, there aren't many in my local area and it does seem to be decreasing in popularity! Thank you!

FoxesSitOnBoxes Wed 28-Sep-16 21:03:38

I've got a Mollie. I love it (obviously) we went with the ie after I read that originally it was spelled that way as it was adapted from the Irish Maili which is an abbreviation of Mary. There was an angry person on here once who said that the ie spelling was people trying to be unique in the way people spell Hollie or Sophi like that. I'd hate to think that anyone did an eye roll at DD's spelling and I think both ways are fine but Mollie was the original spelling (unless I'm totally wrong!)

katemess12 Wed 28-Sep-16 21:12:15

I like it. Agree that it's a friendly name. I went to primary school with a Molly, but haven't met one since.

MrsSecker Wed 28-Sep-16 21:15:37

I do prefer the ie spelling too Foxes, I don't think it would cause too many eye rolls...!

Caldini22 Wed 28-Sep-16 21:23:53

It's very popular round here too. I prefer Molly to Mollie.

chinlo Wed 28-Sep-16 21:28:00

To me Molly just looks more "right" because it's more in line with normal (current) naming styles.

I.e. Polly, Holly, Dolly and all more common than Pollie, Hollie and Dollie.

FoxesSitOnBoxes Wed 28-Sep-16 23:01:30

Get what your saying re Polly and Dolly etc but Mollie is the original way of spelling it whereas Pollie etc is just wrong. (Apologies to all the Pollies out there!) so it is a bit different.
It's like Mollie has been changed over time to become like Polly etc but was naturally spelled with an ie to start with

FindingNemoFindingDory Thu 29-Sep-16 00:10:42

I love it! I prefer Mollie smile

MotherDuckSaid Thu 29-Sep-16 20:01:39

Nice for a little girl. But i wouldnt fancy the name as a grown up..
Reminds me a bit of Rupert , love for a toddler, really not for an adult

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now