Thomas?

(27 Posts)
erica82 Sun 25-Sep-16 20:20:16

Our first baby boy is due 17.10.2016 but we can't find a name for a boy. Yes,still. What about Thomas?

chinlo Sun 25-Sep-16 20:29:22

Strong, traditional, classic name. Never goes out of fashion.

GoNorthDarren Sun 25-Sep-16 20:31:15

I prefer Tom, (weirdly as I'm usually a fan of long names with nick name options). Thomas is nice too though.

CharminglyGawky Sun 25-Sep-16 20:35:51

Lovely, one of my favourite names ever but sadly not one I can use.

He will be known as Tom for pretty much his whole life though, so make sure you like that nickname just as much!

erica82 Sun 25-Sep-16 20:39:44

Thank you! I am now more confident to stick to Thomas name and his middle name will be 100% William. smile

roseteapot101 Sun 25-Sep-16 20:55:06

thats a nice choice a good name

kmini Sun 25-Sep-16 20:56:21

We have a Thomas, always Tom. We've never regretted calling him Tom, despite the popularity.

Thomas William is lovely, very classic

MotherDuckSaid Sun 25-Sep-16 21:19:31

i love Thomas, its on my list, have yet to meet a Thomas tht wasnt gorgeous and lovely

katemess12 Sun 25-Sep-16 21:45:59

I love Thomas.

One of the best names there is, IMO. Strong, classic, dateless, masculine, familiar etc.

ellesbellesxxx Sun 25-Sep-16 21:47:39

This is my fave name for if we ever have a boy, nn Tom. I love it!

BackforGood Sun 25-Sep-16 21:48:46

Lovely "proper" name.
Everyone knows how to pronounce it, and how to spell it.
It's not a fad or fashion name but one that is dateless.

Thatwaslulu Sun 25-Sep-16 21:51:43

We have a Thomas (named after my granddad). He was Tommy as a small child, and has been Tom since starting senior school. It's very popular, so he has a lot of Toms in his school, and also has been in primary and secondary with a Tom with a very similar surname. However, have never regretted calling him that, as it had always been my first choice of baby name since I first thought about having a baby!

Thomas William is a lovely combination.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 25-Sep-16 22:17:05

I love it. But. How do you feel about Tom, because chances are he'll opt to be known as this when he's older and his friends will certainly call him it.
I know some women loon who named her son Thomas. She won't have him called anything else, but what's she going to do when/if he decides he wants to be Tom or Tommy. It's his name. His choice.

ScarletSahara Sun 25-Sep-16 23:11:12

I love it. Also love Tom. Less keen on Tommy but the Thomases I know all get shortened to Tom unless they've wanted Tommy.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sun 25-Sep-16 23:12:42

We have a Thomas. Known as Tom but also use the full name regularly.

DramaAlpaca Sun 25-Sep-16 23:13:17

It's a really lovely name. I wish I could've used it myself.

YesThisIsMe Sun 25-Sep-16 23:15:07

It's a great name, but when you call it in the playground six boys will all turn their heads and then look confused.

erica82 Sun 25-Sep-16 23:15:28

I don't really mind to call him either Thomas,Tommy or Tom. I think we will stick to this name. Thank you for everyone's opinion!smile

BadToTheBone Sun 25-Sep-16 23:26:13

I like it, string classic name. My ds has a name which is strong and classic, I've never regretted it, some people may think it a tad boring, but no one ever says they don't actually like it.

MangosteenSoda Mon 26-Sep-16 02:51:15

I have a Thomas William, so obviously I think it's a great name! My girl choice was Anna Mary, so it's clear that I'm firmly in the low creativity in naming camp.

All of the names I chose were family names. For some reason, I just felt strongly compelled towards them. I liked quite a few names, but somehow felt I didn't have a reason to use them. Quite weird of me really.

Other criteria was - easy to spell and pronounce around the world. Not dated to a particular era. Easy to tell male/female or be a well recognised unisex name. That's all because I've lived in a number of countries where people cannot pronounce my (fairly simple) name. My name is 'of a certain time' and it's a male name in Italy and sounds very masculine in most Med countries. It's a pain in the arse name!

So all in all, I'd rather he be one of a few Toms! I don't regret it.

Seekingmiracles Mon 26-Sep-16 07:21:10

Good, solid name. I'm not normally keen on traditional names but this is one I've always liked.

Daytona79 Mon 26-Sep-16 09:27:54

Thomas and William are both lovely name

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 26-Sep-16 12:47:40

Love Thomas, or Tom, not Tommy.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 26-Sep-16 14:40:22

Toms are always very handsome, and polite.
Tommys are lovely, also . They're always one of the lads. Great sense of humour and very jokey and affable

Loafingaround Tue 27-Sep-16 14:08:41

Very nice but so overused its just become plain and boring now. Millions of them around, all ages, everywhere. Far more interesting boys names out there IMO- dare to be a bit different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now