does anyone else's children think they have a huge say in the new baby's name?!

(35 Posts)
isitseptemberyet Tue 06-Sep-16 14:28:25

Can anyone relate ?
If so, how do you deal with it?!
It's been tricky to find names my OH will consider, its even harder when our eldest then shouts about how much he hates that name! 😐

babyblabber Tue 06-Sep-16 20:50:50

Don't discuss names in front of them?!!!

My eldest is 6.5 and suggested names but I told him I would be picking the name and it'll be a surprise for him! End of story.

olderthanyouthink Tue 06-Sep-16 21:06:50

Apparently I picked my brothers name, it starts with an A and doesn't "go" with my name so I'm inclined to believe them.

I just asked because I realised I was only just 4 and couldn't read well enough to go through the baby name book, like I'd always assumed. My dad said he couldn't remember but I'd definitely picked it. hmm

LunaLoveg00d Wed 07-Sep-16 07:45:21

Quite simple - tell your eldest that Mum and Dad decide the baby name, not him.

MrPoppersPenguins Wed 07-Sep-16 07:51:18

My 4.5 yo is spending a lot of time suggesting (mostly very odd) names for the baby. We keep saying we will have a list and we can all add to the list then chose from there. How old is your other child?

RumAppleGinger Wed 07-Sep-16 07:55:29

DS1 was 4 when DS2 was born. He was quite certain that we were going to honour the ghostbusters and name him either Egon or Raymond. When we bought him home we just introduced him with the name we'd chosen and got on with it.

I suppose the level of protests depend on the age of the children!

neonrainbow Wed 07-Sep-16 07:57:23

I think is quite nice to ask an older dc for suggestions. Doesn't mean we are going to use a name dss comes up with but he's given us a couple of good ones so far. What's the harm in letting him have a couple of suggestions on the list?

derektheladyhamster Wed 07-Sep-16 07:58:29

We let them name hamsters. That was bad enough! hence the user name

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Wed 07-Sep-16 08:06:01

Perhaps you should keep your name choices under wraps and reveal the name when the baby arrives?

It's difficult. My eldest was very upset that I wouldn't call his new brother Shaggy (from Scooby Doo) grin

loosechange Wed 07-Sep-16 08:09:41

Offer them a choice in the middle name, of the options you present?

cityrat79 Wed 07-Sep-16 08:13:24

We asked our 2 year old if she'd like to come up with a name for the baby.

We eventually decided against Pooface.

DoloresVanCartier Wed 07-Sep-16 08:17:01

My DS wanted to call the cat lucifer (female pure breed!), I don't let him name anything, although Jeff was ok for the fish, even if he did call all five of them Jeff!

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Wed 07-Sep-16 08:18:52

we eventually decided against Pooface grin that made me laugh.

autumnboys Wed 07-Sep-16 13:50:56

Yes, but they also thought they could pick the gender. They told me they each had a brother so they wanted a sister. Their proposed name was Rose (which I loved but DH didn't).

MimiSunshine Wed 07-Sep-16 13:52:59

My friends eldest (under 5) wanted to name the baby and kept making suggestions so they told her that babies arrive with their name (like her dolls that have the name on the box).

I thought it'd be super cute to put a name tag on the baby for the eldest first visit so she could 'discover' the name but don't think they did do

DollyBarton Wed 07-Sep-16 13:54:31

My 2 year old called our new baby the wrong name for about 2 weeks. Then he just seemed to get on board and forget about the name he wanted.

Gizlotsmum Wed 07-Sep-16 13:58:33

We gave my daughter a choice of 2 names for her brother, she chose out of those 2 ( she was 4 at the time). We couldn't decide as both liked one more than the other but different ones!

Honeybee79 Wed 07-Sep-16 18:25:27

My DS is 5 and so far has suggested the following for DD: Flowery, Starry, Sid (his own name!) and Grace.

We have told him that he can tell us his ideas if he wants to but that we will make the actual decision. He is ok with that.

Dozer Wed 07-Sep-16 18:26:28

DD suggested Ottery!

PotteringAlong Wed 07-Sep-16 18:27:53

My 4 year old DS wants to call our baby "evil shredder". DS (2) wants to call it his name...

I suggested to them it might be a girl and ds1 gave it serious consideration and said he would be happy to have a sister but only if they were 8!! smile

babbafishbabe Wed 07-Sep-16 18:43:24

DS2 would have been called special baby Oso !!!

isitseptemberyet Wed 07-Sep-16 20:24:47

have thoroughly enjoyed all the replies thank you :-D
Our eldest is 10, we had three girls after him so this will be his first brother. He even had the cheek to tell me that he sould have final say in the name because his father and I will be dead long before him and he will still be left saying his brothers name for years to come !!
The middle names are family tributes which everyone knows about , or i'd be tempted to let him chose that, just to keep him quiet on the first name !
He gets 'stay ups', and it's usually during this time of the evening that im trawling name sites/ books for name inspiration, so when suggesting something i like to my OH our DS is present and is very vocal about his opinion !
I've said to him this evening that when he has his own children he will be able to confer with his wife and call them whatever they fancy, but this baby's name will be OUR choice. He was most put out !
I think he's feeling a tad unsettled by their being a new boy entering our household after ten years of him being the 'only special son', i'm actually beginning to suspect that the names he Does like for his new brother are crap on purpose!

TroysMammy Wed 07-Sep-16 20:29:17

A friend asked her 3 year old if she liked Lisa. "Yes" she said "I like Lisa (Easter) eggs". That name was vetoed.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 07-Sep-16 20:34:47

Is this the anti Samuel boy? (That I can understand)

You havd to put your foot down.

You get to name your children. When his time comes, he gets to name his children.

isitseptemberyet Wed 07-Sep-16 20:41:41

haha yes, it is - he doesnt want the baby to be named samuel (his dad is just sam). I appreciate tht, so vetoed it, but nor does he want the baby's middle names to be after Any family member (even tho his are).
He probably sounds a bit of a brat ! The thing is he's usually the most amenable and well behaved out of our four children. He is the most sensitive though and perhaps that's why this name malarkey is bothering him (he was never concerned about gaining new sisters)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now