He's changed his mind about the girl's name

(14 Posts)
AcademicNerd Sun 04-Sep-16 21:12:52

Hiya,

Just need to pout and get my feelings out. We had decided a while ago that our first-choice girl name (we don't know gender yet) was Ramona Rose. Ramona after Ramona Quimby, a character in a series of books by Beverly Cleary. She was bright and brave and wonderfully silly, full to the brim of personality; she really meant a lot to me as a little girl who was rather awkward. Rose just because it sounded nice (and it's a Doctor Who companion).

But we were looking at the ONS baby name stats, and he's said he's not keen on Ramona any more. At least we have 7000+ names to look through?

Currently I like Ruby, Daisy, Lily, Emma, and Juno.

SanityClause Sun 04-Sep-16 21:21:39

Ramona the Pest! I loved her! Which witch?

Of the new shortlist, I like Juno, but not as much as Ramona. sad

darreldixonishot Sun 04-Sep-16 21:24:27

No help from me but my beautiful 18 year old niece called Ramona after Ramona Quimby! What about Beezus? wink
It's a fabulous name- shame your DH has gone off it!

mrsmugoo Sun 04-Sep-16 21:25:46

I'd never heard that name before but I really like it, it's sassy!

darreldixonishot Sun 04-Sep-16 21:28:07

It is actually a Spanish name!
It also makes me think of the nanny in Cold Feet! With a 'rolling R'

katemess12 Sun 04-Sep-16 21:31:46

Looove Ramona. This one is on our list if we ever have another girl.

Of your list, I like Lily. I don't mind Daisy either, but for some reason I can't picture anyone over the age of 5 named Daisy.

passingthrough1 Sun 04-Sep-16 21:42:14

I prefer Ramona to all of those! Shame!
Really disliking Ruby these days, it seems a very "now" name.

SanityClause Sun 04-Sep-16 22:04:30

Yes, Beezus. She was really Beatrix. Would your DH go for that?

But she always acted so superior to poor Ramona, so maybe that would put you off it?

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sun 04-Sep-16 22:13:14

Love Ramona.
Raphaella
Rosanna
Roxanne
Raymonda

Shemozzle Mon 05-Sep-16 01:10:22

Strangely enough, I'm 24 weeks pregnant (sex unknown) and had decided on Ramona for a girl whilst ttc. My dd1 was reading the Ramona Quimby books that I used to love so same inspiration. Anyway, I suddenly went off it about a month ago. It's not on my shortlist anymore. I guess it is just one of those names you can go off?

Shemozzle Mon 05-Sep-16 01:10:52

Beezus was Beatrice rather than Beatrix.

GoldenWorld Mon 05-Sep-16 07:47:25

I love Ramona! Your other names are nice but don't seem as special as Ramona. If you've still got a while to go, he might change his mind again. Or when she's born say straight away "doesn't she look like a Ramona" grin

AcademicNerd Mon 05-Sep-16 08:50:44

I've kept Ramona on the shortlist, I'm not deleting it just yet.

I was also thinking about Sophie (after the BFG), but it's number 11 on the baby name stats; I don't want a name where there might be four other girls in reception with the same. When I was a kid I knew loads of Ashleys and Jennifers.

I liked Matilda (definitely a literary theme going on in my preferences), but he's vetoed that one. I think if I tried to go for Coraline he'd shoot that down too.

I might try to smuggle Ellen (after Ripley from the Alien films) onto the new shortlist. Furiosa, while cool, would be a step too far.

Anne (i.e. Green Gables) would be good if he didn't have a single syllable surname.

Just remembered I can't use Lily, my mum has a cat with that name.

A friend of mine said something brilliant to me when she was trying to think up of a name for her son: "I never knew how many people I hated until I opened a baby name book". So many good names I don't want to use cause I knew someone at school who was a cow and had that name.

heateallthebuns Mon 05-Sep-16 18:15:39

Ramp a sounds like someone from 50s America to me, like wearing a big full skirt and Bobby socks. That is a good thing I think!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now