Talk

Advanced search

Welsh names

(57 Posts)
Tabsicle Sun 04-Sep-16 11:46:16

Ok, after my last total failure here, I'm returning with the second draft of girls names. All Welsh as we seem to agree they are nice and DH is Welsh.

What do you guys think of the following for a girl:

Angharad
Arianwen
Ceridwen
Deryn
Rhian
Seren

Too weird? Too hard to say?

For a boy we have:

Morgan
Dylan
Aled
Emrys

And on a related note, does anyone know of a decent app for recording baby names? Trying to keep my list in one place and my phone seems good.

CakeRattleandRoll Sun 04-Sep-16 15:05:18

Love Arianwen! Couldn't even get DH to agree to Anwen.
Also like Seren, although I understand it is quite popular in Wales.

Emrys is my favourite of your boy's names, but I like the others too. Have you considered Osian, Taliesin and Aneurin?

Crispsheets Sun 04-Sep-16 15:06:09

Aneurin is lovely.
Delyth for a girl?

MyKingdomForBrie Sun 04-Sep-16 15:07:00

I just use the notes app..

nightandthelight Sun 04-Sep-16 16:05:58

Really wanted Emrys for a boy so that has my vote and I love Ceridwen. Angharad is an epic name (it's mine smile)

PotteringAlong Sun 04-Sep-16 16:07:25

Love Anghared.

I've got an Idris!

Emz1989 Sun 04-Sep-16 16:11:04

Enfys is also quite a pretty one!
Tristan?

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 04-Sep-16 16:12:30

I don't think any on your list are hard to say, but I am Welsh.

JigglypuffsCaptor Sun 04-Sep-16 16:17:06

As a fluent Welsh speaker non are hard for me, Emrys is my favourite boys name out of your list, and Seren for a girl.

FrancisCrawford Sun 04-Sep-16 16:23:53

Non Welsh speaker, know most if these, couldnt imagine a problem once the name is spoken

My favourites are Angharad and Emyrs

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 04-Sep-16 16:24:51

I'd have loved to use Angharad.

TheDropBear Sun 04-Sep-16 16:25:16

I came back from my first day of school telling my mum all about my new friend, a little girl called Howard. A few days later my mum got to meet Angharad grin

For a girl I like
Arianwen
Anwen
Seren
Eleri

Is Enfys pronounced Envis?

SoupDragon Sun 04-Sep-16 16:29:21

London born and bred and none of them seem odd to me.

I suspect I might mangle Angharad, Arianwen and Ceridwen with no pronunciation guide but I'm sure, once heard, none are hard. All the boys ones I've heard before.

PattyPenguin Sun 04-Sep-16 16:47:26

TheDropBear it is indeed pronounced Envis. It means 'rainbow', by the way.

Seren means 'star'. Angharad means 'much loved'.

Other Welsh girls' names I think are easy to pronounce:
Branwen
Carys / Cerys
Elin (I know Ellen is English, but the i sound is nice)
Gwenan
Gwyneth (used to be very popular, due a revival, I reckon)
Heledd (dd is pronounced as a voice th, like in the, that, those)
Meleri
Nerys
Nesta
Olwen (from a medieval legend, another due a revival)
Rhiannon for a girl is lovely, but needs to be pronounced with a breathed r and a proper o, not like Ree-an-un.
Siriol (means 'cheerful')
Tanwen
Tegwen

For boys:
Aled,
Alun (pronounced more or less Alin)
Bryn,
Dyfan (Duh-van)
Dylan (Duh-lan not Dillun)
Emlyn
Elgan
Geraint
Gethin
Glyn
Gwyn
Iolo (though you might get YOLO jokes)
Madog
Steffan (quite European)
Tecyn

All Welsh names are pronounced with the emphasis on the last but one syllable. So the first syllable in two syllable names like Enfys, Emrys and Anwen, then Ari-AN-wen, EN-fys, E-LER-i, Me-LER-i, Ang-HAR-ad, Ce-RID-wen.

HamSandwichKiller Sun 04-Sep-16 16:53:38

Deryn literally means bird so it's a little 'out there', I like it though. My tuppence worth, avoid Bethan & Rhian. Every other girl in my class had one of those names.

welshweasel Sun 04-Sep-16 16:56:34

We have a Taliesin. If he was a girl he'd have been Aneira or Arianwen. Other boys names we considered were Idris, Iolo, Gruff and Osian.

MrsHulk Sun 04-Sep-16 17:01:12

Non Welsh here, and I recognise all those names and can pronounce them - they're actually all lovely, we must have similar taste

nightandthelight Sun 04-Sep-16 17:04:55

This thread is making me wish I had managed to persuade DH to give DS a Welsh name sad

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 04-Sep-16 17:06:09

Geraint is my favourite boys name but we couldn't use that either sad

SchnitzelvonKrummsverylowtum Sun 04-Sep-16 17:07:12

I love all of them! Though Seren is quite popular at the moment so there might be a few in the same class

We're currently expecting a girl and we're thinking of Lowri, Anwen or Nia. If this baby had been a boy we would have gone with Llewelyn or Gruffydd (Gruff). We already have a Rhys.

SerenDippitee Sun 04-Sep-16 17:08:48

Seren is very popular.

I loooove Arianwen.

dramalamma Sun 04-Sep-16 17:15:39

I have 3 of your list in my family - ceridwen will be shortened to ceri cos even English people can't pronounce it let alone the rest of the world, angharad - everyone will think is a boys name and Rhian will be chronically mispronounced and is also a boys name in other countries. I like seren and Cerys.

nightandthelight Sun 04-Sep-16 18:06:41

That's interesting drama I have only ever had one person think I am male. Almost everyone I meet both English and Welsh has heard of Angharad.

SoupDragon Sun 04-Sep-16 18:08:29

Seren is quite popular at the moment so there might be a few in the same class

Only if the OP is actually in Wales.

twitchypalm Sun 04-Sep-16 18:20:14

we have a ds and a dd both have welsh names we live in England and haven't come up against 2 many issues at school. I love the name Gethin wish i had used it for my ds

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now