Talk

Advanced search

Will 'Hugo' be ridiculed for his name ?!

(18 Posts)
isitseptemberyet Sat 03-Sep-16 08:58:24

There are few names tht my DH & I can agree on , but Hugo is one of them.
However our ten year old thinks other children will tease him?
The school is full of similar sounding names, i don't know if our son is saying it purely because he doesn't like the name !

Any opinions / alternative suggestions would be appreciated ,
Thank you smile

OhTheRoses Sat 03-Sep-16 09:04:55

TBF it was our first choice but he just wasn't a Hugo when he popped out. He is nearly 22 and is response to nearly being a Hugo has always been "so glad you didn't do that to me".

Very sociable, alpha sporty type. For context public school educated so wouldn't gave been a very left field choice. Most of his friends have very ordinary/classic names.

Lovewatchingrainfall Sat 03-Sep-16 09:12:59

My nephew is called Hugo he will be 1 soon, I personally don't like the name but it suits him. I don't see why a child would be picked on. If you like the name then go for it.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 03-Sep-16 09:14:13

I know 2. Lovely name.

NotAsYoungAsIWas Sat 03-Sep-16 09:14:17

Stick with it - Hugo is a wonderful name. A friend recently called her son Hugo wish I'd thought of it first DAMN!

Barefootcontessa84 Sat 03-Sep-16 09:16:30

It's on our list OP but having similar thoughts - and whether it's a bit too try-hard, though I imagine it suiting a big character!

DH has suggested Hugh as an alternative, but I just don't see it as the same style of name! I say if you like it, go for it!

EssentialHummus Sat 03-Sep-16 09:19:59

I like both Hugo and Hugh, but yes, I would think public school alpha type. Same category as Spencer.

sonlypuppyfat Sat 03-Sep-16 10:03:03

I suppose it depends on where you live doesn't it. It wouldn't go down very well by me

NataliaOsipova Sat 03-Sep-16 10:06:55

It does smack of "upper class, public schoolboy", so he's unlikely to get teased if that's his environment. I suppose it's a bit of a cliche as a result? But it's not a way out/made up/completely unusual name, so I wouldn't have thought it was an obvious candidate for teasing?

katemess12 Sat 03-Sep-16 10:09:53

I know two. One who's 11 and one who's 6. The name has never struck me as odd or anything. I don't think either of them have ever been ridiculed for their name. One is privately educated and from a wealthy family, and the other is publicly educated and from a very middle-class family. Suits them both.

BallerinaBecky Sat 03-Sep-16 10:10:20

I don't think he will get teased but I find the name aspirational and much prefer the solid name Hugh.

ClockMakerSue Sat 03-Sep-16 23:34:18

I know 4 or 5 from different backgrounds and it suits all of them. I really like the name and don't see it as tease worthy.

SueTrinder Sun 04-Sep-16 00:01:08

I would imagine he won't be the only one in his class, isn't it climbing the popularity tables and is now just outside the top 50?

Mamatallica Sun 04-Sep-16 00:09:37

What's wrong with Hugo? It was one of our top three choices, Hughie is very cute. I'd go for it.

Fostec1 Sun 04-Sep-16 00:10:32

I have a Hugo (although all children under 5 seem to pronounce it Ego). It's a great name. Punchy, weighty enough and a classic. I know two, both very different in looks and backgrounds and it works fine on both. You go, I go, go with Hugo!

BikeGeek Sun 04-Sep-16 10:53:07

Hugo forever associated with the dim Hugo in Vicar of Dibley I'm afraid.

Although that association is unlikely to be drawn by his peers.

SerenDippitee Sun 04-Sep-16 10:56:00

I love it.

chocoLit Sun 04-Sep-16 14:32:06

I love it but couldn't use it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now