Talk

Advanced search

DH has gone off our chosen name - help!

(38 Posts)
whizzlepuff Sat 03-Sep-16 04:50:16

We had decided on Felix for DS. It was pretty much the ONLY name I loved, even though it's pretty popular. Our surname is Greek (even though we're not - long story) which limits options. I've put together some other names that I do like - feedback welcomed, and other suggestions! In no particular order...

Elias (pronounced Ellie-as) - this is the only one DH seems to like
Max
Lucas
Bastien
Willem
Xavier

Like but can't use:
Zachary
Elijah

I feel like there isn't a boys name in the country that I've not heard and discounted for some reason. Find girls names so much easier.

mrsnec Sat 03-Sep-16 04:57:56

Felix and Lucas were on my list. I also love Max but couldn't use it.

I realised I loved classic names of Greek origin not too religious too but that sound English, Phillip, Christopher, Alexander and Gregory for example. I went with one of those because I needed a Greek one.

I still love Felix though even though its not Greek and think if you really love it too and nothing else is working then just keep trying. Both my dc have names my dh hated at first.

ChipIn Sat 03-Sep-16 05:01:31

Had the same issue - 100 girls names we liked but not one boys name.
I like Max, and would probably go for Sebastian over Bastien. I also like Jasper but DH would have none of it.

Good luck smile

Joinourclub Sat 03-Sep-16 05:02:43

I love Elias.

Ezra, Cyrus, Isaac

8DaysAWeek Sat 03-Sep-16 05:08:21

Ooh we have similar tastes. 5 week old is called Eli (really the only name we could agree fully on) but Max was on the list and his middle name is Xavier! Loved Luca but was a colleagues DS's name so that put me off

Other names I liked were: Alexander, Finlay, Oscar, Ellis, Julien, Jude

Good luck smile

CRazzyyAce Sat 03-Sep-16 05:53:26

We had Max right up to when I was due to have him and I went over my due dates and turned to DH said do you like Max he said yeah and I said I think we should call him Joshua and he agreed. We had struggled with name and they were the two names we had. It Max had been the front runner until the end

GoldFishFingerz Sat 03-Sep-16 06:02:38

Lex short for Felix? Or Alexander

CyrilSneer30 Sat 03-Sep-16 06:02:44

I would fight for Felix personally...(biased, fairly certain it's what we're going to call DS2!) I think it's a brilliant name. Only other name I can suggest is Theodore (DS1 wink) - Greek origins, and endless NN possibilities.

GoldFishFingerz Sat 03-Sep-16 06:04:02

Sebastian is great

TooTweeOrNotTooTwee Sat 03-Sep-16 06:47:37

Some of your names sound a bit Dutch. I like them! Like Max and Willem particularly.

What about:
Oscar
Elmer
Casper
Frederik
Hendrik

CyrilSneer30 Sat 03-Sep-16 07:02:52

LOVE Casper / Kaspar! Unfortunately another one DH vetoed for us. Please use it someone!

Lutrine Sat 03-Sep-16 07:15:54

Felix was our boys name for DD2, I love it. DH went off it at one point (I think because we don't know any) and our other options were Leo, Theo, Levi, Edward, Saul, Seth and Stanley. He came back round after a few days though and I think we'd use it if we ever have a boy.

Hassled Sat 03-Sep-16 07:23:38

I think an Elias pronounced Ellie-as is going to have a lifetime of telling people they've said his name wrong. Isn't most people's default going to be E-lye-as? Willem is nice. Bastien - too much like bastion.

Agree that Alex/Alexander is lovely.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 03-Sep-16 07:39:37

Love Xavier, how about, Xander, Rex, Luca, Luther or Reuben.

BendydickCuminsnatch Sat 03-Sep-16 07:41:56

Agree, I'd automatically read Elias as Eh-LIE-us. I like it! I also think Willem is pretty badass but might be annoying people mishearing it as William?

Ninasimoneinthemorning Sat 03-Sep-16 07:44:41

Yep Dh is trying they shit with me - I have seven weeks left. I've called this baby that name for months now and he can fook off.

Stick to your guns- who made him the boss?

Ninasimoneinthemorning Sat 03-Sep-16 07:45:40

Oh just to add - he also did this with dd2 and I changed her name to one he preferred - won't be doing that again!

Jooni Sat 03-Sep-16 07:49:31

Felix is fantastic, I'd keep mentioning and see if your DH comes back round.

Love Elias and Willem too, and loads of the suggestions you've got already.

How about:

Xander
Milo
Dorian
Silas
Louis
Peter
Jago
Matias
Jonas/Jonah
Bennet
Linus
Otto
Rex

whizzlepuff Sat 03-Sep-16 09:22:56

Amazing - thanks so much for all the replies. And some great suggestions. Some are already taken by family members and friends' kids (Alex/ander, Reuben, Otto, Milo, Jago, Jasper, Linus) - typical, they're all great names!

A few have said keep fighting for Felix, I'll certainly keep trying grin

Agree about Ellie-as potentially causing problems, DH defaults to pronouncing it that way because it's the Greek way and despite not actually being of Greek heritage he was brought up by a Greek lady and speaks the language. I like both pronunciations tbh.

Really like Casper, Luca, Frederik, Theo/dore- will add to list! Sebastian is great - had been dithering over this one before.

Should say DS will be brother to Amelie.

Thank you - this is making it fun again, rather than stressful flowers

Mottled Sat 03-Sep-16 09:23:08

I know a couple of people whose name is pronounced Ellie-as but it is spelt Illias (think it is an Arabic/Muslim name). Elias is A-lie-us.

DartmoorDoughnut Sat 03-Sep-16 09:30:16

How strange I suggested Felix to my DH this morning! He harrumphed but he does that a lot so I'm going to keep it on the list!

Purplebluebird Sat 03-Sep-16 09:59:00

Luca was on my short list smile Felix is also nice, tbh most of the names on your shortlist are nice! Only thing I'd worry about is pronouncing them in a way that your other half would be happy with - not sure teachers and other parents would "get" the difference if you see what I mean. I'm Norwegian and my other half English, so we had to choose a name that is pronounced almost the same way in both languages, which limited it greatly (but it was my favourite name anyway)!

Dontrocktheboat Sat 03-Sep-16 11:47:10

I would pronounce Elias Ellie-as as you say. Not actually met any to confirm this or otherwise. I really like it. My ds has a name with two possible pronounciations and it is a bit of a pain but people generally get it right once told.

I like Felix too, not so keen on your other names. Definitely prefer Sebastian to Bastien which looks weird!

TheWildRumpyPumpus Sat 03-Sep-16 11:50:43

We had Felix, Theo, Jasper, Alexander on our list - ended up with a Nathaniel!

RiverTam Sat 03-Sep-16 11:52:54

I like Elias, Lucas and Willem from your list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now