Talk

Advanced search

Bronte

(37 Posts)
fluentinsarcasm Sat 03-Sep-16 00:45:08

Do you think it goes with an Irish surname like O' Connor or does it sound silly?
I like a lot of Italian and French names too but most just don't sound right with the 'O' bit.

VioletBam Sat 03-Sep-16 02:24:27

I think it would go beautifully. It's a lovely name.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 03-Sep-16 07:44:21

Sorry OP, personally, I only know dogs by that name, just saying.

AllThePrettySeahorses Sat 03-Sep-16 07:58:19

I think it's a gorgeous name too. Apropos of nothing, there's an incredibly talented musical star called Bronte.

fluentinsarcasm Sat 03-Sep-16 09:10:44

Sugarpie I only know dogs called Charlie but wouldn't say that to someone wanting an opinion on it. Until people start using Tiggles and Rover again you will know of a pet with most given names, just saying.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 03-Sep-16 11:10:33

You were asking for opinions Fluent, I did not intend to hurt or offend you.
This is a forum, calm down, your baby will be beautiful, whatever you name her.

isitseptemberyet Sat 03-Sep-16 13:15:26

i LOVE Bronte

MrsGsnow18 Sat 03-Sep-16 14:58:34

Never heard Bronte used as a first name before. I like it, it makes me think of the Bronte sisters which is a good thing in my opinion!
I'm imagining it could be unisex, are you thinking of using for a boy or girl?

fluentinsarcasm Sat 03-Sep-16 15:18:50

For a girl MrsG. I absolutely love it as does all my family and friends ( dog free name around these parts!)
The only concern is how it fits with an Irish surname?

Avengerhart85 Sat 03-Sep-16 15:21:49

It's a beautiful name and I imagine it would roll very well with an Irish surname.

mouldycheesefan Sat 03-Sep-16 15:23:16

Green card, the movie, or was it four weddings and a funeral?
If you are a very literary family go for it. If you aren't and are going to look befuddled when people quote bronze to you, don't do it.

Also, for a girl or a boy?

HoratioNightboy Sat 03-Sep-16 15:49:45

Hmm, Brönte was a yoonieke spelling of Brunty, so it already is an Irish surname, isn't it? But in that respect it would go pretty well.

WizardOfToss Sat 03-Sep-16 15:53:13

Lovely, and I don't usually like surnames as forenames. I'm sure it will sound fine with an Irish surname too.

DestinyTheWhale Sat 03-Sep-16 15:55:06

It's trying a bit too hard to be trendy, sorry.

MidnightVelvettheSixth Sat 03-Sep-16 16:43:09

Its OK, its not particularly melodious & I associate it with the Bronte sisters.

You may get people unaware of the authors who pronounce it Bront or Bronty, also if you have a little girl there's the nickname Brontosaurus that may unhappily come into play.

It goes well with the surname though.

Honeybee79 Sat 03-Sep-16 17:03:15

I like it. Isn't there a very successful US swimmer with Bronte as a first name?

Honeybee79 Sat 03-Sep-16 17:04:52

Correction, she's Australian - Bronte Barratt.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Sat 03-Sep-16 17:07:33

I like it and to my ears sounds fine with O'Connor or similar.

CwtchyQ Sat 03-Sep-16 22:57:41

A friend of a friend has a Brontë and it did get a bit of a rolly-eye reaction but it is quite nice.

CaoNiMa Sun 04-Sep-16 14:55:58

Brontosaurus

Nonameyet1 Sun 04-Sep-16 18:05:51

I think it's gorgeous and sounds lovely with your surname!

Meowlster Sun 04-Sep-16 18:08:46

Someone I know and like has a daughter with that name. Never met the girl, but by all accounts she's lovely, and if she's anything like her parents she's a good egg. So on that (rather tenuous!) basis I'd go for it.
I also think it would go well with an Irish surname.

badtime Sun 04-Sep-16 18:23:05

As a previous poster pointed out, Brontë was a respelling of the Anglicised Irish surname 'Brunty' or 'Prunty'. The literary sisters' father was a clergyman from NI who moved to England and wanted to be less obviously Irish.

Consequently, I think it would be fine with an Irish surname (although I must admit, I am not particularly keen on Bronte as a given name).

There is also the possibility that it might sound like the heroine of a pulp adventure novel. If so, please use this name.

QueenLizIII Sun 04-Sep-16 18:33:57

Never heard Bronte used as a first name before.

Watch Green Card.

UntilTheCowsComeHome Sun 04-Sep-16 18:38:31

Bronte is my top choice for a girl!

I only have boys however.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now