Talk

Advanced search

Bento for a boy

(78 Posts)
monkeygone Wed 31-Aug-16 21:55:45

OH is Brazilian and we live in Brazil. Bento is a very old Portuguese name.

Does it sounds ridiculous in English though? What with it being kind of almost the word "bent"? shock blush

Diddlydokey Wed 31-Aug-16 21:56:51

As in a bento box? I suspect that he would just be a Ben in reality

SunnySomer Wed 31-Aug-16 21:57:12

And a kind of box?

MissBattleaxe Wed 31-Aug-16 21:57:38

If he's going to be raised in Brazil- probably not a problem. If you're planning to raise him in the Uk, don't call him Bento.

SmallBee Wed 31-Aug-16 21:58:09

It just makes me think of Bento boxes. But it's fine as a name I think.

Helmetbymidnight Wed 31-Aug-16 21:58:09

People might associate it with lunch-box, wouldn't they?

No matter though...if you like it.

MephistoMarley Wed 31-Aug-16 21:58:40

Doesn't work in the uk I'm afraid

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 31-Aug-16 21:59:46

My first thought was Fray Bentos pies. That might say more about me than the name but I don't actually eat them so I suspect it's quite a strong brand link in the UK.

CurlyhairedAssassin Wed 31-Aug-16 22:01:19

I thought of Bento box too - he might get the nickname of Box or Boxy or something.
There are worse things to be named after though!

SingaSong12 Wed 31-Aug-16 22:02:16

In UK I'd think of Japanese bento box lunch and he'd probably be teased (I think they'll still have bento boxes in a few years time).

CodyKing Wed 31-Aug-16 22:03:01

I thought of the pies

Wouldn't want him called Bent for short although I think that word is out of fashion - Ben is nicer.

Why not go with Ben - OK in both counties?

SoupDragon Wed 31-Aug-16 22:03:36

I would think of a lunchbox.

monkeygone Wed 31-Aug-16 22:05:40

What on earth??

Goes to google bento lunchboxes

Is this something Japanese? I guess it's better than what I thought you'd all say about him being called bent!

Purplebluebird Wed 31-Aug-16 22:05:58

Not for UK. Fine in Brazil!

bittapitta Wed 31-Aug-16 22:06:11

As people have said, in the UK it is now a surprisingly well known loan word from Japanese.

If you must, just tell everyone you know in the UK that his name is Ben!

MrsJoeyMaynard Wed 31-Aug-16 22:06:35

Makes me think of the Japanese bento box lunches too.

But if you live in Brazil and you're raising him in Brazil, does that really matter too much?

DrinkFeckArseGirls Wed 31-Aug-16 22:07:24

Yep, another one for a Bento box!

monkeygone Wed 31-Aug-16 22:08:28

But if you live in Brazil and you're raising him in Brazil, does that really matter too much?

Not especially I guess. From the UK, it'll only really be my friends and family that will interact with him obviously, and I'm guessing they won't bully him about his name grin

I've never heard of these box things. And I only left a few years ago!

DrinkFeckArseGirls Wed 31-Aug-16 22:08:35

Only if you never come back to the UK grin

Brokenbiscuit Wed 31-Aug-16 22:08:59

I would think of a Japanese bento too. Sorry OP.

If it's a traditional name in Brazil and that's where you live, I don't really see an issue though.

monkeygone Wed 31-Aug-16 22:09:12

The diminutive (which I rather love) is Bentinho, so we could just use that in the UK.

buffalogrumble Wed 31-Aug-16 22:09:25

As in Japanese lunch boxes? Better than Tupperware I guess

SherlockPotter Wed 31-Aug-16 22:09:34

It made me think of the pies... the pies that take forever to get into the packaging!!

moomoo222 Wed 31-Aug-16 22:16:12

This is the dictionary definition and what I presume most people will think of:

Bento (弁当 bentō ?) is a single-portion takeout or home-packed meal common in Japanese cuisine. A traditional bento holds rice, fish or meat, with pickled or cooked vegetables, usually in a box-shaped container.

I guess if you are never coming back to the UK (or not planning to live in Japan!) then you'll be fine. My ex used to joke that 'Colander' was a nice name for a girl, made me think of that..or tupperware, flask...

moomoo222 Wed 31-Aug-16 22:18:34

Sorry, just to say, that wasn't meant to be mean - just better to say it than have people think it and not tell you (which is what I'd do IRL!) and presuming you came on here for honest opinions!? If you were set on it and did end up back in the UK then shortening to Ben always an option!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now