Talk

Advanced search

Will Francesca always get Fran/Franny

(31 Posts)
PolkaDot2233 Fri 26-Aug-16 18:51:23

Love the name Francesca, but honestly, can I avoid the NNs?

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 26-Aug-16 19:23:29

But what if she wants to be known as Fran though. It'll be her name so her choice.
So if you really don't like any of the nns. I'd avoid it personally.
Eg I love Nicole but I can't stand Nicky so I'd never use it.

UnicornMadeOfPinkGlitter Fri 26-Aug-16 19:24:58

Frankie as well. Nicknames are unavoidable. My ds is William and he gets shortened to Will or Bill and this has happened since he started school. Even the teachers do it.

ClashCityRocker Fri 26-Aug-16 19:28:51

I only know frankie's and 'chesca's.

But as pps said, nicknames are pretty unavoidable. I remember one of my friends was slightly gutted when her Benjamin became a Ben pretty much overnight upon starting school.

Although I also know a Thomas who won't countenance Tom. Depends what the kid wants to go with I guess.

Maverick66 Fri 26-Aug-16 19:29:34

The one I know gets Franky and aches a

AbyssinianBanana Fri 26-Aug-16 19:29:43

Yes, if that's what your child decides to stick with and doesn't prefer shortened versions.

Maverick66 Fri 26-Aug-16 19:30:21

Sorry that should say Chesca

ProfYaffle Fri 26-Aug-16 19:32:00

I have a friend Francesca, she doesn't get Fran/Franny. Occasionally Cesca but that's it.

MewlingQuim Fri 26-Aug-16 19:33:14

I would have thought it more likely to be a Frankie than a Fran/Franny.

TurtlesAreAwesome Fri 26-Aug-16 19:33:19

I love Francesca, but it's not on my list because it could be shortened to Frankie, which I find unpleasant. I think Fran is a nicer alternative, but I see your issue.

RiverTam Fri 26-Aug-16 19:34:52

There s aFrancesca known as Cheska in DD's class.

However I completely disagree that nicknames are unavoidable. I know quite a few who are only known by full names - Margaret, Elizabeth, Thomas for example. Never shortened by anyone.

Hulababy Fri 26-Aug-16 19:35:21

I taught a 7y Francesca last year and no one shortened her name.

Dd has a school friend who has it shortened to Frankie.

The thing is though you may not shorten it, it's harder to do anything about it if and when she wants to. You can't ban a child from shortening their own name, so you need to make sure you can deal with possible nicknames.

SaturdaySurprise Fri 26-Aug-16 20:06:58

The Italian nickname for Francesca is Franca.

MrsGsnow18 Fri 26-Aug-16 20:12:09

No body HAS to have a NN. If you don't want your name to be shortened you just tell people that.
What you and your child want though unfortunately aren't always the same. My mother hates when people shorten my already short name!
Fran isn't terrible though, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if she wanted to use it when she grew up, you could always use her full name ( like my mum chooses to do with me)

VanillaLatteAndCake Fri 26-Aug-16 20:13:01

The Francesca (adult) I know uses Chess or Chesca

neolara Fri 26-Aug-16 20:13:55

Chess or Chessa

soundsystem Fri 26-Aug-16 21:50:03

The Francesca I know doesn't get Fran or Franny but did get called Bob all through uni [helpful]

thatsnotmybabyname Fri 26-Aug-16 22:31:08

I know one who insists on always being Francesca, no nn.

rollonthesummer Fri 26-Aug-16 22:34:45

I've only known Francesca shortened to Fran or Frannie.

fieldfare Fri 26-Aug-16 22:36:44

My sil is Francesca, shortened to Franca - the Italian abbrev. Much nicer imo.

Sophronia Fri 26-Aug-16 23:35:19

The one I know is Fran or Frankie

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Sat 27-Aug-16 00:46:41

I know a Chessie, two Chesca's, a Frankie, a Fran and one who doesn't shorten it.

And writing that I've just realised I know quite a lot of Francesca's!

KimmySchmidtsSmile Sat 27-Aug-16 00:57:55

One Fran
One Ceska (cheska) <love this

RiaOverTheRainbow Sat 27-Aug-16 02:09:54

I know a Chess (25) and a Frankie (6). I think Fran/Franny are relatively uncommon these days, though that's no guarantee of course.

FayaMAMA Sat 27-Aug-16 02:27:30

You really can avoid the nicknames while they are children, but once the teenage years descend you have no control. And you have to be prepared for that.

I'm a Francesca and adore my name, I've always been known as Faya at home and to most of my friends. But I did go through a phase of introducing myself as Fran during my teen years which my parents found repulsive hmm.

Also, when did Francesca become a desirable name? I've seen 3 threads about it today and am amazed. I've been alive for 24 years and have rarely heard a nice comment about it until about 6 months ago!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now