Advanced search

Dexter for a boy

(22 Posts)
fruityb Fri 19-Aug-16 22:17:13

I love it, am I weird?

DramaInPyjamas Fri 19-Aug-16 22:18:24

I like it too, but I can't get past the serial killer connection

pennyunwise Fri 19-Aug-16 22:19:39

I like it. OH vetoed it for us but it was in my top 10.

The show finished a few years ago so 5-10 years from now nobody is going to associate the name to the serial killer any more anyway.

fruityb Fri 19-Aug-16 22:23:15

See I loved the series and think he's a cool character so that wouldn't put me off. Plus it won't be as well known in future like you say. He was a good serial killer, for all the right reasons. And he was hot.

It came up the other day as a suggestion and I can't stop thinking about how much I love it now lol

Missgraeme Fri 19-Aug-16 22:23:36

Our neighbours dogs name.

fruityb Fri 19-Aug-16 22:24:20

Avoiding dog names is hard these days I have found!

LifeIsGoodish Fri 19-Aug-16 22:30:36

I know a 5-6yo Dexter. He's a right little cheeky-chops grin

I like the name (no knowledge of the show, so no associations) but it would be very funny if he turned out to be left-handed!

woodenmouse Fri 19-Aug-16 22:31:23

Love it!! But I would say that as I have a baby Dex! He's named after the books/tv show as I re-read /rewatched it all while pregnant.

strawberrypenguin Fri 19-Aug-16 22:33:38

Love it!

Sophronia Fri 19-Aug-16 22:41:00

Don't like it, it's very trendy and will date.

fruityb Fri 19-Aug-16 22:43:54

Lots of lefties in my family and my DPs so it's possible.

I always loved Dexter Fletcher as well smile

MrsGsnow18 Fri 19-Aug-16 22:47:11

I love it. I remember watching Dexter's Labratory as a child grin always thought it was a cool name! Have never seen the series Dexter.
Is it sometimes spelt Dextor? I naturally want to spell it or at the end for some reason.

WhatTheDickensian Sat 20-Aug-16 08:01:01

It's a nice enough sounding name but I agree that it wil date. It's one of those names that peaks in popularity for a few years and is then hardly heard of again. Like whenyou meet a Darren and you think "how 80s".

LifeIsGoodish Sat 20-Aug-16 08:51:38

The only names that date IMO are ones that were wildly popular at a certain time, but very much less popular before and after. I don't think Dexter is one of those.

WAFFLEO Sat 20-Aug-16 08:57:01

I have a Dexter (7 year old), so obviously I really like it! One of the reasons I called him Dexter was because I loved the show so much.

Hulababy Sat 20-Aug-16 09:02:59

My fabulous little nephew is called Dexter. He is lovely.

Not sure it will date any more than most names. It's been around a while - Dexter Fletcher I remember from my childhood for example. It's not a really popular trendy name either and seems to have been used in and off over a few years.

fruityb Sat 20-Aug-16 09:18:16

Yeah I don't think it's had a massive peak like Josh or Alfie did. It's not one I hear often, and a name dating isn't something I can really predict in all honesty!

WhatTheDickensian Sat 20-Aug-16 09:19:30

Really? I think it's v popular and trendy. Other than Dexter Fletcher nobody was called Dexter when I was young. Now I hear of it often but always for boys currently under 10.

WhatTheDickensian Sat 20-Aug-16 09:20:56

Here we go, take a look at this graph:
names.darkgreener.com/#dexter

fruityb Sat 20-Aug-16 09:35:02

popularity doesn't really bother me I just wanted to know how people felt about the name. I've not met any as yet and I'm a teacher so have seen my fair share of a few different ones!

GingerAndTheBiscuits Sat 20-Aug-16 09:36:43

Love it and would have used it had we had a boy and our friends not used it for their dog...

woopywoo Sat 20-Aug-16 21:56:46

We have a Dexter Miles aged 11-so born before the TV show! Never had another at school or even met one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now