Talk

Advanced search

Hermione, Freya, Bonnie

(48 Posts)
MiniAlphaBravo Fri 19-Aug-16 20:44:12

We are having our 2nd girl (dd name is Florence). In the title are a few of our current favourites. Our list is probably

Hermione
Freya
Bonnie

I just don't know if any of them are right. I usually like quite classic and strong names. Which do you prefer and do you have any suggestions? DH vetoes quite a few that I like angry Thank you

Honeybee79 Fri 19-Aug-16 20:47:57

I think Freya is the best of the 3 you mention. I like the classical associations.

Bonnie - just makes me think of Bonnie Langford!

Hermione - Harry Potter

MiniAlphaBravo Fri 19-Aug-16 20:59:38

Thank-you, that's DH's favourite!! I'm not sure as it's become very popular recently. And there's the alliteration with Florence. Can't decide if it's cute or twee...

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 19-Aug-16 21:21:36

Out of your short list Hermione goes the nicest with Florence but Bonnie is the prettiest but it's too twee for Florence

ExcellentWorkThereMary Fri 19-Aug-16 21:22:42

I love Bonnie

ConformationFart Fri 19-Aug-16 21:24:35

Please choose Freya... Lovely Norse name, strong yet pretty.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Fri 19-Aug-16 21:24:58

Francesca?

TroysMammy Fri 19-Aug-16 21:29:05

How about Bonita, nn Bonnie? Although it is nice for names of children to go together, one day they will hopefully lead independent lives and won't always be introduced as X & Y or have both their names on the same Christmas card.

I know too many Freyas as it's very popular now. The only Bonnie and Bonita I know are lovely middle aged ladies.

MrsGsnow18 Fri 19-Aug-16 21:32:58

Freya a beautiful name but I feel it is a bit over used at the moment I think, which puts me off. I thought it was a lovely name a few years ago but it's everywhere now.
It's often even used in examples of things online for example on notonthehighstreet I was ordering a personalised christening card recently and it was one of the display ones. I've seen it used as a display for 'name signs' too.

Bonnie is a cute name except to me it is more a name for a highland terrier ( I've come across three called Bonnie in my life which seems weird)

Hermione was obviously a name before Jk Rowling chose it for HP. I do like it, but it will always be linked to HP by a certain generation ( my generation as I love HP! And Hermione was a fab character so no problems there really in my opinion)

margiebargie Fri 19-Aug-16 21:46:38

I agree - Hermione forever linked with HP; and Bonnie with Langford. Freya pretty but popular.

How about Bryony, Erica, Margot, Greta?

MiniAlphaBravo Fri 19-Aug-16 22:35:35

Thanks everyone it's great to get other perspectives. I agree about Hermione being HP but not sure it's the end of the world. I believe it's also Shakespearean although I doubt that's the connotation for most! I also agree with iliveinalighthouse that Bonnie is a little twee. Can't get on with Bonita, I'm afraid, just keep thinking 'La Isla...'

MrsGnow those are my thoughts exactly about Freya...

Any other suggestions or thoughts very welcome. Found naming a girl so hard last time, find boys names much easier for some reason, so another girls name to find is going to be hard!

WanderingTrolley1 Fri 19-Aug-16 22:39:48

Love Freya. Pretty and classic.

ClockMakerSue Fri 19-Aug-16 22:41:07

Freya is my favourite, then Hermione. Dislike Bonnie.

Freya is strong without being harsh.

Sophronia Fri 19-Aug-16 22:45:12

Hermione goes the best with Florence

LowAMH Fri 19-Aug-16 22:45:30

Freya

Florence and Freya is lovely

LastOneDancing Fri 19-Aug-16 22:46:05

I really like Bonnie and haven't heard of any around here. Was there a blue Peter dog called Bonnie? Is that why it makes me think of labradors?
Freya - lovely but overused
Not keen on Hermione and neither us my auto correct...

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 20-Aug-16 17:54:56

Hermione. Yes it's linked to Harry Potter but also Shakespeare and Greeky mythology.

Being linked to Harry Potter hasn't put anyone off using Luna.

Jooni Sat 20-Aug-16 18:02:40

Absolutely love Hermione! By far the most striking of your name choices IMO, and pretty timeless despite the HP connection, while Freya and Bonnie feel quite "on-trend".

TheRealAdaLovelace Sat 20-Aug-16 18:06:41

Hermione is a really cool, strong name.

Freya - meh
Bonnie - meh

Although my friend whose daughter is called Hermione gets a bit annoyed with people asking if she chose it because of HP.
No she says, it was in a Shakespeare play I liked (was it Winter's Tale maybe?)

hownottofuckup Sat 20-Aug-16 18:11:39

I love Bonnie, dislike Hermione and Freya both sound ugly to my ear.
Jasmine
Zinnia
Ariadne
Evadne
Charlotte
?

DearMrDilkington Sat 20-Aug-16 18:15:09

I love Bonnie but I do find it very American.
Florence and Jasmine sound beautiful together though.

Ohsofat Sat 20-Aug-16 20:59:18

Love Freya, hate Bonnie (dogs name) Hermione is ok.

How about
Felicity
Fleur
Jasmine

roseteapot101 Sat 20-Aug-16 21:15:13

i like Hermione but its very popular because of harry potter and Freya is also a very popular name at the moment.

bonnie is a very cute traditional name quite frankly i have not heard been used in quite some time

user1471501988 Sat 20-Aug-16 21:32:44

Freya

APlaceOnTheCouch Sat 20-Aug-16 21:35:27

Freya

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now