Talk

Advanced search

STUCK! Please help me with names for girls

(39 Posts)
Honeybee79 Fri 19-Aug-16 19:03:23

Desperately needing some help, honest opinions and inspiration. My DH works for a girls' school so finds that loads of names are tainted by association, so is being of limited help!

Criteria - nothing too faddy, needs to be reasonably timeless and work for a little girl and a grown woman.

We have one DS, Sid (Sidney, but he's Sid most of the time). We have a slightly awkward surname, so nothing that's too much of a mouthful and any "colour" names (Violet, Scarlett etc) don't work with our surname.

What do you think of these? Any other thoughts?

* Clara (becoming too popular?)
* Eliza
* Carly (husband likes but concerned Kali is the Hindu goddess of death! We are not Hindu, I doubt most people will make the association amongst our family and friends)
* Anya
* Alexa (Lexi for short)

Honest opinions welcome please!

Thanks

MoonHare Fri 19-Aug-16 19:08:22

Clara, Eliza and Anya are my faves from your list. I know an under 5 year old one of each of those names but I have 3 girls and work in a child related field so that's not surprising. Eliza would be my no. one I think. Alexa/Lexi seems more common than the other 3 names - have come across a lot of those in the last 8 years.

Dontrocktheboat Fri 19-Aug-16 19:09:07

Clara and Eliza are both pretty - both quite trendy at the moment though if that bothers you (although I know more Elizas than Claras).

I think Alexa/ Lexi is much less nice than your other choices. Carly sounds a bit dated though would not have made the Kali connection, wouldn't see that as a problem!

I like Anya best of your choices.

Honeybee79 Fri 19-Aug-16 19:16:38

Thanks. Perhaps Carly is a bit 1980s?! Carly Simon etc.

Pixilicious Fri 19-Aug-16 19:18:16

Clara
Anya
Eliza (but this is quite popular where I live)

CrabbyJo Fri 19-Aug-16 19:20:01

I really like Eliza and Lexi. Also have a Clara in the family. Only Clara I know of.

Lilacpink40 Fri 19-Aug-16 19:20:32

Clara was high on my list for DD and for DC2, but he is a DS!

Mottled Fri 19-Aug-16 19:23:21

Clara is lovely, don't any so it will be interesting to see where it is on the ONS list in a couple of weeks.

CPtart Fri 19-Aug-16 19:32:03

Clara and Eliza very frilly and increasingly popular.
Alexa, not keen. Very 80's to my mind.
Don't like Carly but love Cara.
Anya is ok but in a similar vein to the billions of Eva's, Ella's, Ava's, Bella's...

Natalie, Alicia, Erin, Louisa, Faye, Saskia, Meredith, Zara?

Honeybee79 Fri 19-Aug-16 19:35:00

CPtart - I do really like Saskia but would it be acceptable to have a Saskia and a Sid or are they too samey?

CPtart Fri 19-Aug-16 19:47:19

Not really. I never get all this whether sibling names 'match', especially of different genders. The name you choose for your daughter is far more important to her throughout the rest of her life compared to whether it 'goes with' her brother's name.

Hereforthebeer Fri 19-Aug-16 19:48:31

Eliza and Carly are my least favourite

The others are lovely

If I had another one I would go for Emma or Anna as i don't know any under 5 who has either name. They are totally out of fashion at the moment but are so pretty.

minatiae Fri 19-Aug-16 19:53:06

I would pronounce Carly and Kali differently.

Anya is my favourite of your choices.

WhatTheDickensian Fri 19-Aug-16 19:55:08

Anya and Eliza are great names.

Other ideas that go with Sid:
Elsie
Dora
Thea
Willa
Nina
Marnie

soundsystem Fri 19-Aug-16 19:55:09

I love Clara. It's on our list if this baby is a DD and Sid is on our list for a boy, so I think they go well!

Honeybee79 Fri 19-Aug-16 19:59:54

Thanks for all the comments so far. I do agree with you CPtart in that a good name is much more important than whether or not it goes with a sibling's name - they're not going to go through life as a unit, after all - I would just like to avoid anything too similar or alliterative iyswim.

mnbex29 Fri 19-Aug-16 20:01:23

Clara and Eliza are lovely, we had a DS but Lara was very much at the top of our list of potential girl names, I also loved Elara which is Greek but DH wasn't so keen on that as he thought it was a bit out there! Elara would be a good combination of Eliza and Clara for you!grin

GoldFishFingerz Fri 19-Aug-16 20:13:33

Sid and clarice
Sid and Stella
Sid and

GoldFishFingerz Fri 19-Aug-16 20:15:23

Sid and flora

Ketchuponpizza Fri 19-Aug-16 20:17:03

I love Anya!!

NapQueen Fri 19-Aug-16 20:17:40

Sid and Alexa from your list

Sid and Olive
Sid and Meg
Sid and Zoe/Zoey

GoldFishFingerz Fri 19-Aug-16 20:17:47

Sid and viola

sophree Fri 19-Aug-16 20:18:15

Valerie ?

MrsGsnow18 Fri 19-Aug-16 20:20:20

I like Clara, Anya and Alexa from your list.
Saskia was ringing a bell with me but I had no idea why then I remembered. It's on the water from Lidl!
What does it mean? Off for a Google...

Makkapakkasbestfriend Fri 19-Aug-16 20:21:47

My fave of yours is Alexa, I wouldn't shorten it though.
If you like Clara and Carly how about Cora? I love that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now