Talk

Advanced search

Will people stop suggesting my DD's name here <light hearted>

(23 Posts)
Crunchymum Tue 09-Aug-16 12:12:28

Of course I am joking but my DD's name seems to have exploded in popularity on here and is mentioned on almost every thread.

Please stop grin

Seriously though how popular are your kids names and does it bother you

(DS is a top 10 name by the way and we've yet to meet another one in RL!)

Northernlight22 Tue 09-Aug-16 12:16:43

Haha - the name I've shortlisted doesn't seem to get many mentions! I even did a search on the threads to see what people's opinion was 😂

flumpybear Tue 09-Aug-16 12:18:39

DD name is quite unusual but everyone would have 'heard' it before - strangely there's another child called the same name as her at DS nursery!
DS has a reasonably normal name but only ever come across another child named this plus one guy at work

Ffion3107 Tue 09-Aug-16 12:19:57

I'd never heard of anyone with the same name as DD when pregnant. I'm an assistant in a primary school and the name was one of the characters in a really old book and I loved it.
She's in nursery now and there's another 2 with he same name so the staff use her middle name like it's a double barrelled name hmm

DeltaSunrise Tue 09-Aug-16 20:48:02

Ds1 has a top 10 name (Jacob) which we didn't know when we named him. I got a bit upset once I realised how popular it was but we've never come across another one IRL. He's 7 now and lived in 2 countries so plenty of opportunity to meet another one and yet he remains the only one we know and the only one in his 300+ student school.

It doesn't bother me anymore, I love his name and it suits him.

NapQueen Tue 09-Aug-16 20:49:06

Is it Imogen or Esme? They seem to be the hot topic names at the moment.

CruCru Tue 09-Aug-16 20:50:45

It's worth bearing in mind that Mumsnet is not representative of the general population. A name that may get suggested here (in particular Ptolomy / Persephone) may be unlikely to ever get to be popular.

mrstiggy Tue 09-Aug-16 20:54:57

Is Imogen really popular now? Wasn't so much when I had mine 5 years ago. Ah well, at least they won't all be in the same class. smile

NerrSnerr Tue 09-Aug-16 20:56:12

I have a 2 year old and know 3 Imogen's. Haven't met an Esme yet.

Essexgirlupnorth Tue 09-Aug-16 20:57:29

My daughters name was more popular than it is now so I have never met a girl my daughters age with her name.
I have a name that is fairly rare in England so no one can spell it or pronounce it and couldn't never get my name on things as a kid.

HainaultViaNewburyPark Tue 09-Aug-16 21:00:13

Imogen has been popular for a while hasn't it? It is the only 'duplicate' name in DD's class (just finished year 7, so 12 year olds) although it isn't DD's name

I'm going to guess either Marianne or Nancy.

TheDisillusionedAnarchist Tue 09-Aug-16 21:03:20

DD's name is almost never suggested on here, strange because it's a straightforward Old English name no weird spelling or pronunciation.

The name we plan for DC2 is only ever mentioned on ridiculous name threads or what will Jamie Oliver name his baby threads so I think we're safe from raging popularity but perhaps should worry about our choice.

msgrinch Tue 09-Aug-16 21:06:14

I went to school with an Imogen she was a vile bully. Eugh... Completely misses the point of the thread

LottieDoubtie Tue 09-Aug-16 21:06:56

DS's name is top 100 and fairly often mentioned on here.

Never met another of the same generation in real life though (have taught a couple of teens with the name and knew one or two in my youth - but none who use the same nn that we do).

Justputyourshoesonnow Tue 09-Aug-16 21:08:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Scarydinosaurs Tue 09-Aug-16 21:13:15

Name the name!

I was loving Marnie, until I realised how 'celebrity' popular it is and now I'm questioning whether or not I want to use it.

Stevefromstevenage Tue 09-Aug-16 21:16:23

My 2 older children I have never met anyone with their name in RL. My DS has a name with 3 pronounciations in 3 separate Irish dialects and they all sound very different. I do know one other people with his version but I know plenty with the other versions.

mrstiggy Tue 09-Aug-16 21:16:32

msgrinch funny how things like that totally change a name in your head! I went to school with a Lauren I didn't like at all and even now I hate that name. smile

Stevefromstevenage Tue 09-Aug-16 21:16:45

One other person

SpecialAgentFreyPie Tue 09-Aug-16 21:30:06

My DC's names are from family members. So they have never appeared here.

Hushabyelullaby Tue 09-Aug-16 22:52:24

My DD's name isn't commonly used. She's the only one in her primary school with it (in fact there aren't any others that I know of in the other 2 local primary schools), we've ever met anyone who knows on either.

cornishglos Tue 09-Aug-16 22:52:32

My dd has a name that is very popular amongst my generation. I have met a few kids with her name but no babies. I don't mind it being popular. I always think that uncommon names are unpopular for a reason.

wigglesrock Tue 09-Aug-16 23:18:23

One of my daughters (I've 3) has one of the most popular names ever, it was No1 for years and years and years grin, she's the only one in her school year (she's almost 9), we don't know any others and there's no- one else in our street which is full of kids called it. My other two daughters have top ten names too, one might be floating about the top ten, they too are the only ones in their class and we're not tripping over other kids called their names when we are at playgrounds, parties, cinema, places where you gulder your child's name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now