We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I heard a lovely name - Ishmay

(10 Posts)
BikeRunSki Fri 29-Jul-16 07:24:42

I met a woman (early 20s) called Ishmay . Definitely spelt like that. I thought it was a lovely name. Can find no reference to it in Google, only Ismay as a surname, so must be made up, but I like it, sounds as if it should be Scottish to me.

atomsatdawn Fri 29-Jul-16 07:36:16

I worked in a school with a few Ismay girls and two Ishmael boys. The girls sounded like Ishmay when accented. Could it be that?

atomsatdawn Fri 29-Jul-16 07:37:43

Sorry just seen you saw the spelling. Im guessing a variated of Ismay then which is definately used as a first name.

BikeRunSki Fri 29-Jul-16 07:47:10

Yes, must be a variation (she's was wearing a name badge and sent me an email). I still love it, never come across it in all my 45 years.

HoratioNightboy Fri 29-Jul-16 12:40:35

Ismay is a very old girl's name, 12th century at least. Origins are obscure (definitely not Scottish!) but mostly considered Celtic. Some books/websites claim it as French or German but it's really not known.

I'd always assumed it was pronounced IZZ-may so I'm not sure if your name is connected or not. Why not email her back and ask her? I'm sure she'll be flattered that you love the name and will be happy to tell you its origin.

timelytess Fri 29-Jul-16 12:44:23

Isme. Means something like 'honoured' or 'respected'.

ThisPasadenaHomemaker Fri 29-Jul-16 12:46:03

I think Ishmay is awful. Especially for a girl.

Ismay makes me think of that awful Titanic man.

Esmé is quite nice.

dontmakemedothis Fri 29-Jul-16 14:32:07

It just sounds like Ishmael with a syllable missing.

And I'm not a fan of the name Ishmael anyway.

forkhandles4candles Fri 29-Jul-16 14:47:07

There is Ishmaya, which I think sounds nicer.

LovelyBranches Mon 01-Aug-16 21:39:22

I know a toddler Ismay, it's a lovely name

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now