So, if your name begins with A...

(15 Posts)
sycamore54321 Fri 29-Jul-16 03:12:43

I've noticed that amongst the seven friends/family members I know whose first names begin with A, all of them have hoses a first name beginning with A for their eldest child. And three have a second child also A. Only one has a second child beginning with another initial.

I haven't noticed this initial-matching with any other initials. So tell me, do I just have a slightly freakish coincidence in my group, or is this a trend others have noticed too?

FurryGiraffe Fri 29-Jul-16 03:31:57

How funny. My first name begins with an A and so does DS1's. DS2's does not though. In fact our starting point for DS2's name was that it couldn't start with an A because we have too many already (one of the cats has an A name too...)

Thinking about friends I have a couple who fit the pattern too (though some who don't too).

AnnaMarlowe Fri 29-Jul-16 03:39:49

Well I was about to reply "what nonsense" and then I realised that I know 4 families like this.

Weird...

firawla Fri 29-Jul-16 04:47:00

Mine begins with A but none of my dcs do. I've given all of them a different starting letter, hopefully to avoid any mix ups in future with post etc

Raines100 Fri 29-Jul-16 06:58:16

This is true of my DSil and her DS.
My name begins with A, but DC1's does not (DH's choice). I wanted Alexander, but DH thinks it sounds girly hmm

BikeRunSki Fri 29-Jul-16 07:09:19

DH, DD and I are all A.H. Surname.
DS (who is actually dc1) is not.

Obviously, it is coincidence that DH and I have the same initials, but we really didn't do it deliberately for DD!

icklekid Fri 29-Jul-16 07:14:54

I don't know any 'A' families but I do know 3 families where both parent and child initials are the same so they sign cards love H, R, H & R. Not sure if was deliberate or not...

SecretMongoose Fri 29-Jul-16 07:17:46

Not true in my family (DM is an A, none of my siblings are) but my DC1 has the same initial as me. Not deliberate and didn't notice for a while as I rarely use my full name anyway. After that made a conscious choice to avoid matching initials! I do know a full family of J's though, parents and all children.

PinkSquash Fri 29-Jul-16 07:21:11

I have an A name and my family have all different initials, I don't think I know of anyone like this barring the Kardashians grin

DoItTooJulia Fri 29-Jul-16 07:25:41

I'm not an A bit both of my DCs are. This is why ds2 took so long to name, I thought it was too twee. But it was the best name for my ds2, so post mix-ups galore here! Joy!

Twoseventhsaweasley Fri 29-Jul-16 08:44:23

My Gran, Grandad and my Mum all had/have names beginning with A. So it is true for the As in my family.

workshyfop Fri 29-Jul-16 15:52:10

Yes DP is an A and so is DS (our DC1). We jointly chose his name.

I wonder if it's a subconscious perception that being the first letter of the alphabet it's an advantage somehow?

CannotEvenDeal Fri 29-Jul-16 15:53:36

Eek! Dh is an A and so is ds1 shock

NeedACleverNN Fri 29-Jul-16 15:54:45

You would hate my family grin

We don't do it with the letter A but we do with M. With J as the middle.

My dad is MJ, sister is MJ, I'm MJ, my Dd is MJ. My mum is SJ but the J is the same as me, sister and Dd. I even have an aunt who is MJ

nightandthelight Fri 29-Jul-16 18:42:21

I start with A as does DS smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now