Theodore and Tobias?

(24 Posts)
CyrilSneer30 Sat 23-Jul-16 07:50:48

We've recently found out DC2 is a boy smile (unintentionally, but due to of chromosome testing from issues picked up at scans it's inevitably slipped out at a consultant appointment angry) and is due in December. We currently have a Theodore (usually Ted/Teddy) and we both love Tobias, but I'm concerned that Teddy and Toby sound a bit ridiculous. Thoughts? Also on the short list are Alfred and Felix.

ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 23-Jul-16 07:56:46

Teddy and Toby is not to my taste but Ted and Toby is OK, could your oldest have the more grown up version of his nickname now he is becoming a big brother?

Raines100 Sat 23-Jul-16 08:08:15

Lovely names! Not ridiculous at all.

GeorgeTheThird Sat 23-Jul-16 08:09:37

They're both lovely names but they do sound a bit twee together, I agree. It's up to you how much you care!

CyrilSneer30 Sat 23-Jul-16 08:19:41

Thanks ladies. Still got a long time to decide at least! I was also concerned about the same initial, do you think people will snigger about it??

TheoriginalLEM Sat 23-Jul-16 08:24:34

An absolutely perfect combination - love it.

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Sat 23-Jul-16 08:35:30

Lovely! The only issue I guess might be having two Mr T Surnames at the same address. Not a huge problem though.

KateBeckett Sat 23-Jul-16 08:39:16

They sound fine together to me, don't forget they won't be in the same class, have the same friends or live together forever!

Congratulations!

NoTractorsAtTheTable Sat 23-Jul-16 08:58:56

I think Ted and Toby sounds better than Ted and (Al)fred, or Theodore and Felix (or as DS would say, Feeadore and Felix)

I know some people don't like DCs having same initial as it can be a pain when getting mail when they get older - but you'd only have to write/sew one name on school stuff wink

Artandco Sat 23-Jul-16 09:09:27

Linus sounds similar.

Teddy and Linus

marblestatue Sat 23-Jul-16 12:08:17

I think they're a bit too matchy TBH. I like Felix best and it would go well with Ted/Teddy.

Ham69 Sat 23-Jul-16 12:29:04

Lovely names. Love Felix, too.

BeakyFlapdoodle Sat 23-Jul-16 15:20:15

I know a Teddy and Toby sib set. Think it's lovely!

Natsku Sat 23-Jul-16 15:21:13

I know two brothers that are Theo and Toby, seemed fine to me.

ColdAsIceCubes Sat 23-Jul-16 15:24:19

Beautiful name choices, but I prefer Theodore and Tobais (their short forms particularly).

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sat 23-Jul-16 20:16:53

I think they sound gorgeous together.

haleandhearty Sat 23-Jul-16 20:18:16

I'm afraid I don't like the combination. Plus I would really guard against having siblings of the same sex with the same initial. My name began with the same letter as my sister's and people always got our names muddled up despite not looking at all alike.

I would go for another name beginning with another letter if I were you.

Ted and Jack
Ted and Patrick
Ted and Leonard/Leo?

Just an opinion of course!

haleandhearty Sat 23-Jul-16 20:19:37

Sorry didn't see your other suggestions

Love Teddy and Felix!

(Also , if it bothers you, don't know any Felixs while there seem to be a few Tobys around these days).

akorda Sat 23-Jul-16 20:24:53

Have made my feelings on the name Tobias rather clear here recently!!
Nice enough name, but OMG there are loads of Tobias/Tobys where I live! And quite a few Theos too.
If you don't want him to be one of several in his baby group/class I would steer clear of both names to be honest.
Don't know any Alfreds (a few Alfies though) and only one Felix. Of the two, I think Felix is the best by a long way. And a lovely meaning-happy!
Don't mean to be offensive at all, just want to warn you that it may be the next big name!

CyrilSneer30 Sat 23-Jul-16 21:28:06

Thanks ladies! No offence taken smile Still completely torn, I think I'm more into Felix than DH but reckon I could talk him round. Nice to hear some unbiased opinions (that haven't followed 'the face' after finding out its ANOTHER boy angry seriously - how rude are people?!)

winewolfhowls Sat 23-Jul-16 22:27:32

I like it. My brother and I have the same initials and it's never been a problem

PotatoBread Sun 24-Jul-16 00:43:39

I really like Teddy & Toby as a combination. Also like Felix but think Toby sounds better.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sun 24-Jul-16 11:57:52

Ted and Toby is far better than Ted and Fred!

akorda Tue 26-Jul-16 20:18:42

Yes, why are people so rude about "another boy", whether it's the second, third or whatever. I just wish it could be less socially acceptable to react in that way. Boys/Girls/Children are all equally wonderful!
Sorry, off topic here.
(Still love Felix!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now