Advanced search

How to change baby name under 12 months

(5 Posts)
D0ni Wed 20-Jul-16 09:26:52

Have been calling baby a different name than we registered and want to change it officially now.

I have read you can amend the birth certificate if under 12 months. Called our registry office this morning and was told this wasn't possible, it would need to be Deed Poll and it's not usual "to just go around and keep changing people's names".

It's been a huge decision and I'm finally ready to take the plunge to put this name right. I don't want to regret it forever. I was in tears after that call.

Asked her to check as I'm sure she's wrong and said she'd get a registrar to call me back.

Has anyone done this recently so I know how it works?

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Wed 20-Jul-16 09:41:56

I think you're right that you can change it before 12mo without having to do it by deed poll. The person you spoke to sounds rude tbh. I think the registrar will tell you differently. I'd be sure to tell them if / when they do exactly what the person said to you. I am not a registrar but I think they are wrong and their behaviour sounds quite unprofessional really; the "going around changing people's names" comment. Was that their actual wording? So rude.

chewadoodle Wed 20-Jul-16 09:45:20

I was told its very very hard to change a name if not impossible like this. Sorry that doesn't help much. I'd wait to speak to the registrar in person.

Raines100 Wed 20-Jul-16 10:22:32

Go to your county council's website. Mine says it is possible to change a child's forename on the BC before 12 months.

D0ni Wed 20-Jul-16 16:54:16

Thanks everyone. I got a call back from the same person who very straightforward said...yes come in and pick up a form called change name not in baptism and make an appointment to change the birth cert. Hope that helps someone else smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now