Due in 8 weeks and changed baby name!

(35 Posts)
lovesunnysummers Tue 19-Jul-16 21:12:09

So, we were so sure about baby's name...until recently when we found out that the name we have previously chosen is super popular! So now I want something different and I am thinking about

Delfina Victoria or Delfina Victoria Rose

What do you think?

orangebird69 Tue 19-Jul-16 21:14:23

Awful.

Artandco Tue 19-Jul-16 21:15:33

It's nice, but I would spell it the proper way

Delphina

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Tue 19-Jul-16 21:17:12

I don't really like Delfina (sorry) but it isn't awful, just not to my taste. I wouldn't bother with Rose as a middle name tbh. It's become so ubiquitous as a middle name that it's lost all meaning to me.

What was the other name?

Nospringflower Tue 19-Jul-16 21:18:27

Sorry but my immediate thought was awful as well. What was your original choice?

Graceflorrick Tue 19-Jul-16 21:18:53

I don't like it. There's a reason that some names are popular and some aren't!

MephistoMarley Tue 19-Jul-16 21:19:18

Delphina is ok, Delfina no.

MadameJosephine Tue 19-Jul-16 21:19:46

Sorry, I don't like it either. What was the original name?

rosegoldie Tue 19-Jul-16 21:19:48

I think awful is a bit harsh! I prefer Delphine / Delphina

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Tue 19-Jul-16 21:25:41

Above suggestion of Delphine is really nice I think.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 19-Jul-16 21:25:45

Very harsh I don't like it.
Why not use Victoria. There's not many little Victorias around, now

peachypips Tue 19-Jul-16 21:30:44

Delphine lovely. Delfina not so!

lovesunnysummers Tue 19-Jul-16 21:38:37

Very interesting to see the reactions to the name.. while in other posts people seemed to love it, here people seem to really dislike it... I wonder if it is one of those names that doesn't have a middle ground in terms of preference...other love it or hate it

To answer a few questions... Delfina is a very traditional Spanish name and since my family has links to the hispanic world we want DelFina and not DelPHine.

The name we had previously chosen was Olivia, which is still very much on the run but I just really dislike how popular it is---despite of living the name. On top of that we had decided that would be nice to honour my great aunt and add the name Rose--only to find out it is also extremely popular! We do not know any children so we are really clueless on trends. But I know I don't want a popular name.

So now we are thinking to have two options ready and maybe wait until she arrives to see what she looks like!

SirNiallDementia Tue 19-Jul-16 21:39:34

Delphine is lovely, nn of Delphi is gorgeous.

Delfina/ Delphina sounds made up and frilly.

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Tue 19-Jul-16 21:39:53

Also, I would pronounce Delphine with the emphasis on the second syllable, so more Del-FEEEEN than DELL-feen.

n0ne Tue 19-Jul-16 21:40:17

Well, I like Delfina. I also like Serafina which is similar.

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Tue 19-Jul-16 21:42:03

Oh sorry X post. If go with Olivia personally. It's not that popular. I only know of three and one of them is in her thirties. If your great aunt is someone you were particularly close to, would there be another way of honouring her? Did she have a middle name you could use maybe?

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Tue 19-Jul-16 21:42:35

"I'd go with" not "if go with"

ittooshallpass Tue 19-Jul-16 21:43:01

Sounds too 'only fool's and horses' to me, lol...

Veterinari Tue 19-Jul-16 21:44:44

I don't think people necessarily dislike Delfina OP but because this is Mumsnet, names which aren't spelled the 'English' way are usually assumed to be 'trendy' or suggestions from parents trying too hard to be 'unique' and most people will judge that rather than considering that some posters may not be of uk heritage and may use spellings that reflect their own family origins. If it makes you feel better even relatively common variants like Sofia and Jorja get this response - it's not necessarily a reflection on the name

I think Delfina would be absolutely fine for a little girl

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Tue 19-Jul-16 21:48:49

Well you're wrong about that in my case vet. I had no idea what the origins were, nor do I give a shit of they aren't English enough (I'm not fecking English). I plain don't like the sound of it (sorry again OP, but I don't; just my personal opinion but of course and as I said in my first post, it really isn't awful, just not to my personal taste).

RedLarvaYellowLarva Tue 19-Jul-16 21:51:30

I love it, please choose it over Olivia. Which is a fine name just wayyyyyy too popular. I'd drop Rose though.

Veterinari Tue 19-Jul-16 22:01:24

Good job my post wasn't directed personally to you then Stevie I'm hugely relieved.

Also thanks for clarifying that you're not 'fecking' English - not really sure it's relevant though, and to be honest I couldn't give a shiny shite where you're from as I was referring to English as in the language - hence my reference to spellings hmm

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Tue 19-Jul-16 22:10:45

Sorry vet, perhaps I'm over sensitive and I do hope you didn't interpret my post as aggressive (I suspect you did based on your response).

You made a statement about people on the thread being intolerant of names from different cultures. I really don't want to be lumped in with that generalisation as it's a pretty unpleasant thing to be accused of (if you had been doing so either directly or not), so I felt compelled to respond.

But, you say you didn't mean me, so at least we've clarified. Have some flowers.

Veterinari Tue 19-Jul-16 22:22:09

You made a statement about people on the thread being intolerant of names from different cultures.

No I did not. I said that on MN names which aren't spelled the usual 'English' way are often considered to be trendy and judged.

If you haven't seen this happen before you can't have been in many 'youneeq' baby naming threads where posters often hold up non-English spellings as examples to judge (usually just demonstrating their own ignorance in the process). It prob happens in RL to some extent but seems to be particularly prevalent in MN which may explain why the OP has got such different responses on other forums.

Thanks for the flowerssmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now