Rosemary

(26 Posts)
lalaland1985 Thu 14-Jul-16 22:06:54

I am only TTC just now so getting ahead of myself

I think I like the name Rosemary but Im not sure if its too old fashioned and should just stick to Rose.

My grandmothers name was Rosemarie and my DH was Mary so we thought it would be nice to name a child after them.

What do you think of the name?

bluebelle2662 Fri 15-Jul-16 08:21:47

I don't particularly like it, but the sentiment is nice, and there is decent nickname potential... Rose, Rosie...

PunkAssMoFo Fri 15-Jul-16 14:11:04

Old & stuffy, but I don't particularly like Rose either. Maybe as a middle name to pay tribute.

I think Maria is quite nice & not overly common.

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Fri 15-Jul-16 14:39:17

I really love Mary, but not keen on Rosemary I'm afraid. I do know one who is in her thirties. She has a sister called Deirdre! Her parents had old fashioned taste I think.

Rose I really like too but I think it's meant to be quite popular now. I have only met one baby with it as a first name though and about 3,000,000 with it as a middle name.

Marcipex Fri 15-Jul-16 14:41:41

I love it, and a nice nn Ive heard is Romy.

lalaland1985 Fri 15-Jul-16 15:08:40

Would Mary as a middle name work..

Rose Mary Surname?

I've met too many mental Maria's to call a child that. It's a shame as I love the name!

KarenLF Fri 15-Jul-16 15:50:52

If you like the name Rosemary - go for it! I think it's a beautiful name - I have a friend called Rosemary and I'm just so jealous of her gorgeous name! Your reason's behind it are lovely too!!

SpidersFromMars Fri 15-Jul-16 15:52:17

I really like it. Pretty and quaint.

MrsBungle Fri 15-Jul-16 15:53:43

I love it. I also love primrose.

ErrolTheDragon Fri 15-Jul-16 15:56:53

Its nice (like the original, Rosemarie too).

CordeliaFrost Fri 15-Jul-16 16:19:20

I think it's beautiful, and would shine like a rare gem, in a sea full of baby girls named Amelia, Sophia and Ruby.

MadameJosephine Fri 15-Jul-16 16:29:56

Gorgeous, lovely name

HettyB Fri 15-Jul-16 19:44:03

Rosemary is lovely. Classy, classic and timeless.

Zampa Fri 15-Jul-16 19:50:12

I love it. If I have another DD she'll be a Rosemary with Romy as a nn.

Rosemary means remembrance so another layer in recognising your grandmothers roles in your lives.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Fri 15-Jul-16 19:59:30

Rosemary is lovely. And there won't be 6 others in her reception class with the same name, which is more than you can say for a lot.

LonestarStateOfMind Fri 15-Jul-16 20:13:29

I know a little Rosemary who is one year old, it's lovely. You can always shorten to rose later. Good luck op.

MarieJeanne Fri 15-Jul-16 20:17:56

I like it, lots of options for nns too.

AvaCrowder Fri 15-Jul-16 20:22:38

I really like the name Rosemary. I thinks a beautiful, timeless name.

lalaland1985 Fri 15-Jul-16 20:45:25

Thanks everyone - now all I need to do is have a baby girl!!

squoosh Fri 15-Jul-16 23:58:53

I like Rose and I like Mary. Not crazy about the two together.

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Sat 16-Jul-16 07:29:39

I just saw a program on the Rose West trial sad. I wouldn't have watched it tbh, but it got good reviews and there wasn't much else on. I had forgotten her name is Rosemary! It's put me off the name entirely (sorry). Most people won't make the link though; I didn't till I saw the program.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Sat 16-Jul-16 13:13:45

Must say I think it's weird how some people think Rosemary is old fashioned, when to me certain names which are now popular again after so long - Mabel, Ruby and Violet just for starters - strike me as unbelievably old-lady-ish, from my granny's era. She was born late 1800s, was a Phoebe, and loathed it! Always used her middle name. I couldn't believe it when Phoebe became fashionable again. She would be turning in her grave...

Though I know it's a generation thing - I am old enough to remember all the wizened and whiskery old Florences, Poppys and Mabels from that era. So many people I knew had an ancient great-auntie Florrie.

lalaland1985 Sat 16-Jul-16 13:41:14

The more I say Rosemary the more I love it! I think it will stand out compared to all the Orlas, Evas, Ava and anything else ending in an A that's so popular just now!

Florence is lovely. I think Poppy sounds like a name for a puppy!

Bogburglar99 Sat 16-Jul-16 13:48:02

Rosemary Sutcliff. Awesome children's author.

Lovely name and Rosie is an obvious and lovely diminutive.

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Sat 16-Jul-16 14:24:50

Must say I think it's weird how some people think Rosemary is old fashioned, when to me certain names which are now popular again after so long - Mabel, Ruby and Violet just for starters - strike me as unbelievably old-lady-ish

I was one of the posters who said its a bit old-fashioned getting, (I wouldn't have said old-lady-ish though hmm). Old-fashioned isn't at all a negative thing imho. Mabel, Ruby, Violet etc are also quite 'old-fashioned' but I really like those names, I just don't happen to like Rosemary very much myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now