I have an Emily can I have an

(43 Posts)
Sherrypicking Thu 07-Jul-16 15:14:51

Elizabeth?

DD1 is called Emily. DD2 due very soon.

The only Two names Dh and I agree on are
Elizabeth
Lily

Both have some similarity with Emily. Which should we choose, Lily or Elizabeth?
thanks

dancemom Thu 07-Jul-16 15:16:08

Id go with Elizabeth, Emily and Lily are very similar.

Although I know a family with an Eva and an Ava!

Xmasbaby11 Thu 07-Jul-16 15:17:19

They are both similar Imo unless you're planning to shorten Elizabeth.

SugarMiceInTheRain Thu 07-Jul-16 15:17:51

I'd go with Elizabeth - sounds less similar and also is less commonplace. Also you have lots of options for nicknames. Don't get me wrong I like the name Lily, but there seems to be at least one in every class at school!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 07-Jul-16 15:20:01

Of the two I would go for Elizabeth, as the ending of Lily echoes that of Emily and there are several diminutives of Elizabeth to choose from.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 07-Jul-16 15:23:17

Not Lily but Elizabeth goes perfectly imo.

Sherrypicking Thu 07-Jul-16 15:24:30

Wow, thank you, smile.
I know it's really silly that we have these two names lily and elizabeth as they are similar probably Elizabeth less so.

Inevitable question, if i lil Elizabeth and Lily (and of course emily, dd1) what else might I love?

Sherrypicking Thu 07-Jul-16 15:24:58

* If I like Elizabeth..

HooseRice Thu 07-Jul-16 15:27:48

Elizabeth is a gorgeous and classic name.

Funnily enough I know a family with an Emily and a Lily. The mum dresses them identically even though they're difference ages <<off topic>> ... mmmm wonder if giving them very similar names was part of that fuckwittery.

forkhandles4candles Thu 07-Jul-16 15:28:51

why not Lilian or Lillibeth - can call her Lil or Lily still.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 07-Jul-16 15:29:12

Emily and Lily are far too similar imo.

I know someone who called their twins Janna and Jenna! She didn't think they were similar at all.

Sherrypicking Thu 07-Jul-16 15:35:15

ok, ok I get it! grin Lily is off.

Focusing on Elizabeth, possible nn lizzie. Is this still 'fuckwittery'? grin

Ricksheadtilt Thu 07-Jul-16 15:44:22

Elizabeth is a lovely name. Just be aware that you will have post / bank accounts in the names of Miss E <surname> for years and it can be confusing. I found this out the hard way!!! Especially when no-one uses the middle initial either.

anotherdayanothersquabble Thu 07-Jul-16 15:53:45

The initials thing can be annoying....

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 07-Jul-16 15:56:17

Maybe Lizzie or Libby.
Or Lexi (or Lexy), short for Alexis.

Clarathemagnificent Thu 07-Jul-16 15:56:55

Emily and Lily is too much.

Emily and Elizabeth go together fine. I know two sisters with these names, known as Emily and Lizzie.

Sherrypicking Thu 07-Jul-16 16:00:58

DH also likes Isabelle, I think they have an Isabella in the family somewhere. I can't say I am too keen but what do people here think in terms of Elizabeth versus Isabelle? And in conjunction with Emily?

Jessbow Thu 07-Jul-16 16:30:04

Elizabeth over Isabel /Isabelle every time.

Classic name suggestions ....
Charlotte
Eleanor < not with Emily though
Sarah
Martha
What about Just Beth?
Alice

Peasandsweetcorn Thu 07-Jul-16 16:41:57

I just thought I'd point out that Lily can be an abbreviation of Elizabeth & that Isabelle is the Spanish form of Elizabeth.

Sherrypicking Thu 07-Jul-16 16:50:08

I do like Charlotte, I probably like classic names that others consider as boring or safe.
Emily & Elizabeth (fav so far)
Emily & Charlotte
Emily & Isabelle

Lily is out

Thanks for your views again!

imsorryiasked Thu 07-Jul-16 16:50:18

How about Bethany?

semideponent Thu 07-Jul-16 16:55:15

I love both Emily and Elizabeth - they go well together.

Do you know the Clifford the Big Red Dog books? If you do use Elizabeth, you might want to invest in a few.

julfin Thu 07-Jul-16 17:44:50

I think Emily and Elizabeth go together beautifully! And the main short-forms for Elizabeth are very different from the short-forms for Emily. It's a winner. (I especially like Beth as a short-form for Elizabeth, but the other options are nice too.)

Isabelle is also a lovely name and goes well with Emily, but is very popular at the mo (if that bothers you).

I agree with others that Lily is a bit too similar to Emily. (Gorgeous name though...)

julfin Thu 07-Jul-16 17:46:05

Also really like Charlotte (and Lottie as NN)

ExcellentWorkThereMary Thu 07-Jul-16 17:49:08

Emily and Elizabeth is fine to me. I have children with the same initial and so far it has never been an issue. Apart from occasional confused post (which would be v straightforward to remedy I'd assume) I can't imagine why it would be an issue. And it's great for labelling clothes just write "E McDonald" and you don't have to relabel when it's handed down smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now