Talk

Advanced search

Our short shortlist.

(18 Posts)
BergamotMouse Tue 05-Jul-16 10:11:11

Baby is imminent and I'm worried he/she will be nameless for a while. We have narrowed down our choice of baby names to:

Boys

Arthur Wilfred
Rupert Wilfred

Girls

Martha Iris
Harriet Florence (nn Hattie/Hetty)

Would be happy to hear opinions.

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 05-Jul-16 10:18:06

I'm a Harriet (Harry). Served me well so far. Although it's the most common spelling, people ALWAYS get it wrong : Harriette, Harriett, Harriot, Harriott. I don't mind it but some people would. My aunt tried to get Hattie to catch on when I was a baby but I'm so obviously not a Hattie. Might turn out to be like that but vice versa for you.

Also it has a bit of a horsey, frumpy reputation I think (or so I've read on here).

Really like Rupert and Martha.

Only thing is, if you end up with a Martha or Arthur, you won't be able to use the other for a future DC! grin

BergamotMouse Tue 05-Jul-16 10:23:14

Thanks for the Harriet info - always good to know from someone who has lived with the name.

Don't worry, if Martha /Arthur were used there would be no future child with the other version!!

Liz09 Tue 05-Jul-16 10:23:16

Arthur Wilfred (LOVE) and Martha Iris.

I love Hattie, but can't warm to Harriet for some reason. Martha is super sweet. The song Martha by Tom Waits really made me fall in love with the name.

Would you consider Martha Florence, or Martha Harriet? The vowel sounds on Martha and Iris clash a little bit (not that it matters much as the middle name is rarely used). smile

Liz09 Tue 05-Jul-16 10:24:17

Lord, didn't even notice the Martha/Arthur thing. I must like the sound smile.

BergamotMouse Tue 05-Jul-16 10:25:52

Liz - I also love that Tom Waits song.

Yes - Martha Harriet and Martha Florence are both lovely. I'll run them past DH.

Sophronia Tue 05-Jul-16 18:03:51

Love Arthur Wilfred and Martha Iris

WillH Tue 05-Jul-16 18:15:17

Arthur/Harriet

NavyAndWhite Tue 05-Jul-16 19:59:51

Love them all. Right up my street.

Would definitely choose Harriet at a pinch and Arthur.

Love them all! Particularly love Harriet and Rupert though.

HeteronormativeHaybales Wed 06-Jul-16 21:33:26

Both your girls' names are lovely - I slightly prefer Martha Iris; think it has a 'cooler' vibe, while Harriet Florence is 'prettier'.

Not at all keen on your boys' names, sadly, but Arthur is OK.

1horatio Wed 06-Jul-16 22:16:48

I love these names. I think I may slightly prefer Rupert. Arthur is nice, but also rather popular, I think.

I'm not a fan of Florence, but Iris is lovely. Harriet and Martha are both really nice smile

marblestatue Wed 06-Jul-16 22:18:46

Arthur or Harriet.

1horatio Wed 06-Jul-16 22:19:20

I personally think Floris would be a fabulous middle name. But maybe that's just my weird taste...

DramaAlpaca Wed 06-Jul-16 22:24:51

I like Arthur & Harriet.

mathanxiety Thu 07-Jul-16 04:25:24

Arthur or Harriet.

Dontrocktheboat Thu 07-Jul-16 22:49:05

Arthur or Martha (although much prefer Iris as first name to either Martha or Harriet!)

Ham69 Thu 07-Jul-16 22:52:34

Love Harriet Florence

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now