Talk

Advanced search

Is it okay to call an English child Klaus?

(36 Posts)
Cammy007 Sat 02-Jul-16 14:59:59

My family are Scottish and English but i really like the name Klaus but it is German, I only have 2 German cousins but their blood is English (if you know what I mean)

Would it be okay to call him Klaus? (baby boy btw)

If not what are some similar names if not?

PlanBwastaken Sat 02-Jul-16 15:04:03

How about Chloe for a girl...?

The poor child would be asked about the German connection for the rest of their life, I don't think I would. There are a few American names that sound similar if you're so inclined: Clay, Clinton, Clifton...

Cammy007 Sat 02-Jul-16 15:06:56

Thank you! I do see how it could be a bother. I also like a couple more English names like Tobias (toby) and Harvey!

Cjamm Sat 02-Jul-16 16:16:13

Two of my kids have strong German names and it's really rare for them to be asked if they're German and if they are asked they just say no and everyone moves on. Klaus is a lovely name, almost named my DS that but DH vetoed it. Their are plenty of names that fit the situation at birth but won't in the future, if you really like a name, go for it.

LaceyLee Sat 02-Jul-16 16:26:47

I think he would get a lot of Santa jokes but it's up to you, could be worse!

MidnightVelvetthe5th Sat 02-Jul-16 16:28:29

I would pronounce it Clowss to rhyme with mouse.

Its occurred to me from the PP that he would get called Klaus to rhyme with claws a lot....

frenchielala Sat 02-Jul-16 20:56:56

I love the name Klaus and I wouldn't worry about questions about heritage. It isn't just German - it is popular in Europe. Where I grew up in Stockholm there were lots of Klaus's. I would seriously consider it if I had a son and I've lived in England for years.

Mottled Sat 02-Jul-16 21:01:18

Don't think that it is a problem, it would also be fine to use Claude or Claudia.

bittapitta Sat 02-Jul-16 22:12:01

It's the name of the fish in American Dad to me grin

InionEile Sat 02-Jul-16 22:21:04

It's not really a current name in Germany right now. Current popular boys names would be maybe Lukas, Leo, Kai, Max and so on. Klaus would be more of a grandad name I think.

SaturdaySurprise Sun 03-Jul-16 19:28:47

My father was called Klaus, but he was German. It did get mispronounced as Klaws by English speakers.

Pipilangstrumpf Mon 04-Jul-16 14:02:16

Klaus is a very untrendy name at the moment, in Germany. It's like Clive, Bernard or something middle aged. Not something I would choose.

My fil is Klaus. How about Nicholas, which is where Klaus is derived from?

NataliaOsipova Wed 06-Jul-16 20:47:00

People will assume that you or your DH is German. It's a bit odd otherwise, but not bad - in my opinion, anyway!

PotteringAlong Wed 06-Jul-16 20:47:55

Like Santa? No.

dexy24 Wed 06-Jul-16 20:49:19

There's a Klaus in the tv show The Originals. In this case, as a PP has already mentioned this is a shortening of Nicklaus-what about that then you could shorten to Klaus or Nick if you prefer?

NotYoda Wed 06-Jul-16 20:49:52

It's OK, but he would probably always be explaining his name because it sounds very German. It can get a bit tiresome to do that.

What about:

Karl
Calvin

EssentialHummus Wed 06-Jul-16 20:51:49

No, bit of a grandad name and he'll be fielding Santa jokes forever.

HeteronormativeHaybales Wed 06-Jul-16 21:30:05

In answer to your title, it's not even OK to call a German child Klaus. The rough Brit equivalent would be Geoffrey or Derek.

Nicholas is good.

1horatio Wed 06-Jul-16 21:45:47

I personally like Nicholas. And Nicco or Klaus would be really cute nns.

What about Niccola/Nikkola? (in the UK for a girl, not a boy). It sounds lovely imo smile

1horatio Wed 06-Jul-16 21:50:01

Btw, imo Derek or Geoffrey (well, before GoTs) would be much better than Klaus. But if you feel like Klaus is the name then you should go for it.

Dontrocktheboat Wed 06-Jul-16 21:57:09

Klaus makes me think of a chubby boy with a Herr Flick hairstyle, round wire rimmed glasses and 1950s schoolboy shorts. So based on that and the fact it sounds like it may be the German equivalent of Colin or Nigel, I would say probably not!

Nicholas is great though, and you could use klaus as a nickname.

BettyDraper1 Wed 06-Jul-16 22:00:32

I really like it but I think it depends on your surname.

Slumberparty Thu 07-Jul-16 06:34:18

How about Nicklaus? You can call him Klaus but as he gets older he can shorten to Nick if he feels the need?

allegretto Thu 07-Jul-16 06:42:50

I would avoid because it makes me think of Klaus Barbie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now