I am loving...

(23 Posts)
Cami12 Fri 01-Jul-16 20:37:09

boys names like Beckett, Bailey, Miller, Archer, Marlow. They feel like the new traditional. Do you like these, or have I been hanging around too many North London mums?

Pemba Fri 01-Jul-16 20:42:06

Not very traditional at all, I would have thought. And they're all surnames really. Miller is especially silly.

Smidge001 Fri 01-Jul-16 20:44:59

Definitely not the new traditional !! confused Agree with pp that if anything they sound like surnames.

Cami12 Fri 01-Jul-16 20:48:53

Sorry I didn't mean literally traditional, just now acceptable / not too out there. I really liked Miller smile. But if they really sound silly to you then I guess that's a response I need to be aware of, thanks!

gracefull Fri 01-Jul-16 20:56:43

I know a couple of adult females called Milla (pronounced Miller) so would probably say no for a male. Bailey and Archer are completely acceptable and quite nice to me but I do have to agree that the rest are a bit silly! Marlow and Beckett being particularly literary inspired/pretentious sounding.

Idontneedyourjudgement Fri 01-Jul-16 21:00:00

I have a Miller Henry! Miller was always top of my list, with Beckett for Dc2,but she was a girl!

Cami12 Fri 01-Jul-16 21:10:22

Love your names idontneed!! (Obviously!)
Beckett is very cool for a girl. (I also came across Wallis for a girl recently, love it. She was an American toddler though, in England Wallis might inspire 'More cheese Gromit?' despite the spelling difference!)

Cami12 Fri 01-Jul-16 21:12:07

Gracefull - I see your point on the literary/pretentious thing.

Strokethefurrywall Fri 01-Jul-16 21:14:28

I come from a land full of surnames for first names (and both my sons have surnames for first names).

Know of a Miller and a baby Marlow (boy), also Huxley, Cole, Fletcher, Beckett, Harrison, Cooper etc etc.

Nobody bats and eyelid at them, so yes, in my mind they're the new "traditional" and make a nice change from actual "traditional" names without being too weird.

I really like Beckett actually. On my list for my imaginary 3rd son is Griffin, Vaughn and Dalton.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 01-Jul-16 23:26:03

Traditional would be something a long the lines of.
Edward
Andrew
James
David
Paul.
I think the names you're considering are faddy and awful, sorry

sonlypuppyfat Fri 01-Jul-16 23:32:56

No I'm not keen. It's like calling some one Smith or Jones

Cami12 Sat 02-Jul-16 00:57:43

I actually don't mind Smith;) but to be fair would not use it.
Andy, Dave and Paul are not for me I'm afraid iliveinalighthouse... unless giving birth to a 40 year oldgrin.

AngharadTheSplendid Sat 02-Jul-16 01:42:04

Pretty sure those are all the names of Stella's McCartneys kids!

CodewordRochambeau Sat 02-Jul-16 04:52:24

Elliot?

Cami12 Sat 02-Jul-16 05:28:27

I like Elliot too thanks Codeword. Bailey and also I think Miller are McCartney's kids Angharad. Wouldn't put me off. Just need to decide if these types of names are for us.

Raines100 Sat 02-Jul-16 10:54:54

I don't have a problem with surnames as first names particularly. It seems an odd thing to deliberately seek out, though. I mean, if you're considering Oliver, Alfie and Miller, and you decide you love Miller, fine. By all means, choose Miller.
I can't understand why anyone would discard normal names and decide only to consider surnames, though confused

Tiggeryoubastard Sat 02-Jul-16 11:03:05

They certainly aren't the new traditional. They're hideous. It may be regional, thankfully don't know any or of any poor children saddled with these.

1horatio Sat 02-Jul-16 11:11:11

I like Archer and Marlow... Not that I ever could (they fall under a category thay would give DH veto rights if I wanted to use them as a first name).

I also love the name Griffin (I think somebody suggested it?).

mellmumma Sat 02-Jul-16 15:55:54

I like all of your names, my favourite being Bailey.

Don't worry about people not liking them, like you say the traditional usual names aren't to your taste (or mine)!

There are waaaaaay more out there names for kids of the future to grow up with. X

UmbongoUnchained Sat 02-Jul-16 15:59:13

I know a Baileigh. She loves her name.

BoboBunnyH0p Sat 02-Jul-16 16:04:39

I like Marlow and Archer from your list. My DS is Chase and know a Preston and Carter. I do think that using a surname as a first name is more acceptable.

KoalaDownUnder Sat 02-Jul-16 16:16:43

I don't love the surname-as-first-name thing. Seems v faddy.

That said, I'd go for one of those before I'd start recycling the likes of David, Stephen or Paul.

I sometimes swear that a third of all men I know over the age of 35 are called either Dave or Steve.

MrsGsnow18 Sat 02-Jul-16 16:17:48

I like Miller, Bailey and Marlow ( especially like Marlow) I think Archer would prob get shortened to Archie. Beckett isn't bad but I just know where I'm from people would not pronounce it nicely. I think that's always a good way to decide on names, listen to other people say them! ( for example My friend was going to name her son Aaron but where we live a lot of people say iron, haha) Bobobunny I love Chase! star

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now