Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of these names?

(16 Posts)
ThePartyArtist Thu 30-Jun-16 20:50:49

Just interested in people's opinions / associations of these names.
Are you sure of pronounciation?
Do they have any weird associations?
Are they easy enough to spell?
Would they be easily mistaken for other names?
Could you tell the sex from these?
Thanks!

Girls:
Eleri
Arianwen
Phoebe
Eirlys
Iris
April

Boys:
Osian
Douglas
Iwan
Reuben

turquoise88 Thu 30-Jun-16 20:55:02

Aside from Phoebe, Iris, April, Reuben, Douglas I wouldn't have a clue how to spell or pronounce the other names.

I've never heard of Arianwen. It sounds Celtic.

Creatureofthenight Thu 30-Jun-16 20:59:44

Not sure how to say Eleri or Eirlys, rest all fine.
Could tell sex from all but Eirlys, but would have guessed girl.
Is there a character in a Jenny Nimmo book called Arianwen? It's a pretty name.

NickyEds Thu 30-Jun-16 21:01:10

I would know how to spell Phoebe, Iris, April and Douglas. I would spell Reuben as Ruben probably. The only Osian I've known was pronounced O-sh-an, I think it's a lovely name. Are you Welsh? I wouldn't know where to start with Eirlys I'm afraid, how is it pronounced?

ShowOfHands Thu 30-Jun-16 21:04:13

They're all fine. My mate is an Eirlys (Welsh) and she pronounces it eye-r-liss. There are slight variations though.

BikeRunSki Thu 30-Jun-16 21:04:25

I would know how to spell and pronounce all of them, but I lived in Wales for a few years. No weird connections for me. Can tell the sex for all, but like I say I used to live in Wales.

MumToBabyBoyLJ Thu 30-Jun-16 21:22:24

I'd pick Phoebe/Reuben...

libellule1 Thu 30-Jun-16 21:47:45

Eleri, Arianwen, Osian, Iwan and Eirlys are new to me. Arianwen is feminine and Iwan is masculine in my eyes but the others I wouldn't like to say for sure. I imagine Iwan would be always correcting people on the spelling.
Love Osian. Douglas and Reuben are such old-man names to me.
Love April.

DramaAlpaca Thu 30-Jun-16 21:48:49

I'm familiar with all those names, can pronounce & spell them & don't think there's any weird associations with any of them. I'm not Welsh but I'm a bit of a name nerd smile

fionadal Thu 30-Jun-16 22:01:48

All lovely and I've heard of all of them-even Arianwyn!

Reuben is pretty popular these days, while the rest are all unusual and fresh sounding.

228agreenend Thu 30-Jun-16 22:04:51

Love the names apart from Iris and April (sorry). Some of the Welsh names would seem strange to those in England, but I love them.

sonlypuppyfat Thu 30-Jun-16 22:06:21

Love love love the Welsh ones, beautiful all my DCs have "proper" Welsh names they are the best

stiffstink Thu 30-Jun-16 22:12:01

We had Douglas and Osian on our shortlist. Reuben is very popular.

Avoid Iwan if your surname begins with a K.

NickyEds Thu 30-Jun-16 22:12:19

They are aren't they sonly, the Osian I knew was a twin and together they were Osian and Bethan, doesn't that pairing just sound lovely!

sonlypuppyfat Thu 30-Jun-16 22:15:18

Bethan is a lovely name they are such nice names

Tattyjet Sun 03-Jul-16 18:54:55

Love them all - especially Arianwen and Eleri. The only one I wouldn't know how to pronounce is Eirlys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now