Talk

Advanced search

Indian/English - Milaan for a boy?

(9 Posts)
user1467251298 Thu 30-Jun-16 02:57:36

Hi,

I am 33 weeks pregnant and we still haven't decided on a name yet!! Help!

My partner has an Indian background and I am French and we live in an English country. We already have a 2 years old boy son called Kiran.

We would like an indian name that is easy to pronounce in English and that can also be international ... We like the name Milan however if pronounce the Indian way "Milun" it sounds like a girl name in French (Mylene). We are thinking to change the spelling to Milaan so people pronounce it as the city rather than as "Milun".

Do you like Milaan for a boy? Any other suggestion of Indian/English boys names?

Thanks!!!

FabFiveFreddie Thu 30-Jun-16 03:07:52

Sorry no. Sounds like Mulan. And a girl's name (like Mulan).

I don't think "Milun" sounds like Mylene at all, personally. It's more "Mill'n" really. Whatever, it'll always be pronounced like the Italian city.

I'd go another direction altogether.

ShellsA Thu 30-Jun-16 03:13:07

Hey,

Also currently looking at Indian/English names as partner is from Indian background and we both liked Milan, I like that spelling too. Also looked at Kiran, Aaryan, Jai and Dhilan so far, though haven't found any girls names we like so any suggestions there would be great!

S

Raines100 Thu 30-Jun-16 06:17:01

I can only give you an English perspective, obviously.
The city is spelt Milan, so there will be no confusion about pronunciation in English-speaking countries. Also, 'aa' does not exist in English apart from in the Dutch loan word aardvark so this is likely to cause confusion where there wasn't any.

I have no idea anout Indian pronunciation, but surely people are familiar with the city?

Raines100 Thu 30-Jun-16 06:17:25

Oh, love love love Kiran btw

NationMcKinley Thu 30-Jun-16 06:36:45

Love Kiran as well.

My family has a similar background to yours. Some names we considered are Arun, Dilan, Harvey and Arjun.

Congratulations! flowers

julfin Thu 30-Jun-16 07:11:18

I prefer both Ari and Jai to Milaan.

Sgtmajormummy Thu 30-Jun-16 07:26:56

Salman Rushdie has a son called Milan.

BertrandRussell Thu 30-Jun-16 07:32:03

But Milan would be pronounced Mil-ann by any English speaker I know. And I think if you add an extra a people will try to draw out the syllable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now