Talk

Advanced search

Lydia Odette, does it go?

(17 Posts)
poptothetop Wed 29-Jun-16 22:21:02

I had this fabulous friend in secondary school, she was clever, funny and understanding. Not at all showy and very wise. I miss her dearly and I've always loved her name, but I've always wanted to call my daughter Lydia.

My friend use to tell me that her Mum made the name Odette up (she was from Zimbabwe), and didn't really know it was a real name until they came to England smile

Does Lydia Odette Helen go? Helen is my Mum's name.

I wanted to add something Spanish in there but cba for multiple middle names grin

DramaAlpaca Wed 29-Jun-16 22:22:41

They are all nice names, but I think Lydia Helen Odette flows better.

poptothetop Wed 29-Jun-16 22:24:18

Drama oh that's nice, I prefer that way around

poptothetop Wed 29-Jun-16 22:25:08

*thank you

forgets manners, since you've named my DD in a way

BikeRunSki Wed 29-Jun-16 22:30:35

I'm not sure your friends mum did make up the name Odette. Regardless, it's a nice name and s lovely reason for using it.

If you want to use your mum's name and a Spanish name, why not Elena?

poptothetop Wed 29-Jun-16 22:32:52

Bike the first I ever heard of it was from Swan Lake

I like Elena but Mum really wants me to use Helen and I rather like Helen so I'll go with that. I could've used Helena but the 'a' is a bit too much as the first name ends in an a

DramaAlpaca Wed 29-Jun-16 22:43:44

You're welcome OP smile

DanyellasDonkey Wed 29-Jun-16 22:52:12

Depends - if it's going to be pronounced Lydia Odette that's a nice name but not so keen if it would end up as Lydia Rodette as some people do when one name ends with a vowel and the next one starts with one

julfin Wed 29-Jun-16 22:57:04

I agree that L H O flows better. Lovely name combo!

CremeBrulee Wed 29-Jun-16 23:09:45

I had a school friend called Odette. She hated it so much that she insisted everyone call her Bobby instead. Even the teachers/nuns.

poptothetop Thu 30-Jun-16 10:09:26

Oh blush I always thought Odette was a beautiful name.

Perhaps not?

nectarini1983 Thu 30-Jun-16 10:21:44

Odette looks nice on the page but I could never name my daughter something that could be shortened to 'odd' (or mad/ anything like that really). Not so bad for a middle name though.

Agree best not to end one name with a vowel and start the next one with one as they do blend.

julfin Thu 30-Jun-16 11:02:04

Just because a school-friend of someone you've never met on an Internet chat-site didn't like her own name, doesn't mean you shouldn't choose it! Odette is a lovely name - very elegant. Go for it!

Raines100 Thu 30-Jun-16 11:21:42

Clever, funny, understanding... felt sure you were talking about me, OP, but alas my name is not Odette grin

Lydia Helen Odette is fabulous. Flows nicely, and I also think the tribute to your mother should come first. Go for it.

poptothetop Thu 30-Jun-16 14:44:29

Raines well I'd call her Rains but I wouldn't want to have to rain her attitude in

my poor attempt at a joke didn't work because it would be 'rein' not rains

Raines100 Thu 30-Jun-16 17:38:51

grin

WanderingNotLost Thu 30-Jun-16 20:32:24

Donkey - that's exactly what I was going to say! Bugs me to no end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now