Talk

Advanced search

Alexander vs Aleksandr

(10 Posts)
UmbongoUnchained Sun 26-Jun-16 22:47:44

Having a boy and have decided on Jackson Alexander/Aleksandr.

My husband is Russian and I really love the Russian spelling but do you think it looks odd with Jackson? Would you know how to pronounce it by looking?

SanityClause Sun 26-Jun-16 22:52:38

I would give it a go, and guess exactly the same as the British version.

People don't use middle names much, so an unusual spelling is not likely to be an issue for him. And it will be lovely for him to have a name from his father's culture, particularly if you all live in the UK.

ClaudiaWankleman Sun 26-Jun-16 22:54:12

I don't really like it. It's not actually the Russian spelling - it's a transliteration. In my experience these never work particularly well and are prone to mispronunciation. Are you expecting to roll the r at the end of the name, for example?

UmbongoUnchained Sun 26-Jun-16 22:57:33

Yes the R will probably be rolled. I'm just really drawn to the other spelling!

antiqueroadhoe Sun 26-Jun-16 23:00:19

but would the R really be rolled? Wouldn't it sound odd to pronounce that name in a Russian way when the first name isn't?

He will have to spell it out his whole life.

steppemum Sun 26-Jun-16 23:00:44

my dd has a middle name which is my MILs name (she died before I met dh) it is completely from her culture and no English person would pronounce it right without being told.
She loves that bit of Dutch in her name.
My friend's husband is Nigerian and her kids have Ibo middle names, again hard to pronounce if you don't know, but a really lovely link to their heritage.

So I would say go for it.

UmbongoUnchained Sun 26-Jun-16 23:04:44

Yes the R will really be rolled. It sounds lovely when my husband says it. Me not so much as I'm not native Russian so don't speak it quite as elegantly as he does but it sounds good. Just a little hesitant to the spelling. Plus we agreed if it was a boy he would have a Russian middle name and if it's was a girl she would have a Japanese middle name so he wins that one haha.

thundercake Sun 26-Jun-16 23:04:45

I like the Russian spelling, as people have said its a link to his heritage

RTKangaMummy Sun 26-Jun-16 23:19:32

IMHO deffo go with Russian spelling to link to his heritage

UmbongoUnchained Sun 26-Jun-16 23:56:34

Yes I feel more confident now Thankyou all!

Jackson Aleksandr.

Love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now