A Week Old... Help!

(47 Posts)
FirstTimeMummyToALittleBoy Sat 25-Jun-16 15:52:24

Our son is a week old. I really wanted us to have a name ready, but we can't seem to agree. He hates all the names that I love sad

I like (in order):
Noah (if it was my choice, he would be named this!)
Isaac
Reuben
Matthew

He likes (in order):
Hunter (if it was his choice, he would be named this!)
Oakley
Greyson
River

I honestly don't know why he likes names that are 'out there'! He wants him to be 'cool' and is making out like this is a big old joke!

I said that I'd be happy for Grey to be his middle name (I quite like that) but he still didn't want one of my names to be the 1st name. We came up with a new list, which is okay, but neither of us love the names... It's (in order):

Dylan
William (Billy)
Kieran
Ethan
Aidan

StealthPolarBear Sat 25-Jun-16 15:54:41

If I had a son now I'd call him Joe
congratulations grin he's beautiful

MrsMarsch Sat 25-Jun-16 15:55:40

Your DH's list is all very American and wouldn't necessarily follow little one through life without 'oh that's unusual'... Dylan is a lovely name, and if you can imagine him as a baby, teenager and adult on his wedding day with that name then go for it! And congratulations on your beautiful boy

FirstTimeMummyToALittleBoy Sat 25-Jun-16 15:57:52

Thank you smile

Yes, Dylan is quite nice. I'm just not sure if Dylan Grey goes confused

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 25-Jun-16 15:58:29

Awwww little cherubsmile

He looks like a Matthew to me...or a Billy.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sat 25-Jun-16 16:03:11

I first saw him and thought Reuben [I hadn't read your list nor do I like the name] If I had to pick from the 3rd list I like William. However after looking at the photo again I thought Zachary - can be out there with Zac but also a nice full name

FirstTimeMummyToALittleBoy Sat 25-Jun-16 16:03:11

I actually am really warming to Billy (William) but when he's a toddler, I want him to do toddler ballet (as it's good for balance, etc.) and I'd hate for them to think I'm trying to create my own Billy Elliot! grin

imsorryiasked Sat 25-Jun-16 16:05:23

Noah is still quite unusual isn't it. Don't think there are any at d's school.
How about: Orson, Solomon, Casper, Rex.

StealthPolarBear Sat 25-Jun-16 16:06:02

Name shortenings dont happen till later

FirstTimeMummyToALittleBoy Sat 25-Jun-16 16:06:27

Noah is very popular, it's in the top 10. It doesn't bother me, but it isn't 'cool enough' for DH angry

Alibobbob Sat 25-Jun-16 16:06:48

How about Dean or Elliot (from your last post)

FirstTimeMummyToALittleBoy Sat 25-Jun-16 16:06:56

We would name him Billy, from day one...

FirstTimeMummyToALittleBoy Sat 25-Jun-16 16:07:18

Love Elliot

Alibobbob Sat 25-Jun-16 16:08:11

Oh no.... That would give Elliot Grey as in 50 shades shock

MrsChrisPratt Sat 25-Jun-16 16:08:21

What about Ted?

Alibobbob Sat 25-Jun-16 16:09:01

Elliot Greyson. X

2nds Sat 25-Jun-16 16:10:43

Firsttimemummy if you really like Billy don't let Billy Elliott put you off because he might not even stick to doing ballet. What we want them to do and what they want to do can often be very different things. Besides even if he likes Ballet, it's not a bad association with the name.

FirstTimeMummyToALittleBoy Sat 25-Jun-16 16:13:22

It's not that I want him to do ballet, I don't care if he wants to change when he's old enough, but I know it's a really good thing for toddlers to do!

I do like Elliot, but people will spell it wrong sad

2nds Sat 25-Jun-16 16:14:29

For what it's worth OP I prefer your choices to his, but it's just a personal choice.

2nds Sat 25-Jun-16 16:15:25

People spell any name wrong again don't let that put you off

Alibobbob Sat 25-Jun-16 16:22:21

Love the name Elliot as 2nds say people spell lots of names wrong.

I think Elliot suits him x

WankersHacksandThieves Sat 25-Jun-16 17:02:09

Yours are all biblical and his are all surnamey.

But there must be a suitably cool compromise. I prefer the names on your list to your DHs but I prefer the compromise list to them both.

How about :

Jonah (Joe)
Austin
Benedict (Ben)
Evan
Harris
Peter
Gabriel
Joel
Gregory

1horatio Sat 25-Jun-16 17:23:25

Eeep, I just deleted my comment. :/

William 'Billy' E is gorgeous. The movie association wouldn't bother me. I personally also like the nn Bill (Bill E. would be less ballet-y, if that would really bother you).
Btw, what about Alexander, nn Alex/Alec or Zachary, nn Zack/Zach?
I feel like these are traditional but also pretty cool (or maybe I just showed how uncool I am), so maybe DH would like it?

NapQueen Sat 25-Jun-16 17:25:35

Of your joint list I prefer Aidan.

Billy/William is nice too.

What about Sid/Sidney?

1horatio Sat 25-Jun-16 17:26:47

And you obviously as well. I feel like my comment made it seem as if just your DH's opinion matters. Sorry!
I meant, maybe you'd like the more traditional full name and your DH the 'cool' nn?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now