Talk

Advanced search

Keith?

(40 Posts)
WillowTree2 Thu 23-Jun-16 16:05:51

My dad is a Keith, urgh! We are due a DS, who we are naming William. It's tradition to give grandparents' names in the middle, so he'll be William Michael Keith... Is the Keith just awful??

Kenworthington Thu 23-Jun-16 16:11:35

Yes, bloody terrible! Don't do it!

CourtJester Thu 23-Jun-16 16:12:31

God no! Don't do it! confused

Flanderspigeonmurderer Thu 23-Jun-16 16:12:59

If you have to use it then only do so as a middle name.

cosmicglittergirl Thu 23-Jun-16 16:13:18

It is terrible, but it will only be middle.

reallybadidea Thu 23-Jun-16 16:14:19

I came on to see if Keith was having a revival (30 years early) and you thought it was a lovely name grin I'm relieved that's not the case. Don't do it!

Salene Thu 23-Jun-16 16:14:43

No one notices middle names so I don't think it matters if you don't like the name.

TheAntiBoop Thu 23-Jun-16 16:15:07

It's fine for a middle name and has a lovely reason for being included

WillowTree2 Thu 23-Jun-16 16:16:57

Oh dear confused

Middleoftheroad Thu 23-Jun-16 16:19:19

I just think from The Office or Keith Lemon or Keith Cheguin!

DramaAlpaca Thu 23-Jun-16 16:19:58

I had the same dilemma as you, WillowTree.

I decided I couldn't inflict it on my boys grin

FurbysMakeSexNoises Thu 23-Jun-16 16:22:49

Nobody even looks at middle names but it's a touching nod to family so I'd go for it.

DontDeadOpenInside Thu 23-Jun-16 16:24:48

It's awful but it wouldn't be so bad as a middle name. I'd say "William Michael Keith, after his grandparents" if anyone asked confused

Goingtobeawesome Thu 23-Jun-16 16:25:38

Tradition? Maybe in some parts but it isn't the law wink.

CourtJester Thu 23-Jun-16 16:27:24

Nobody even looks at middle names until you go to secondary school and have competitions to see who had the worst!

The winners at my school were...
Richard Neville
Roy Sinclair
Harry Morrison Kevin

Poor kids grin

GruffaloPants Thu 23-Jun-16 16:29:48

It is absolutely fine as a middle name! It could just as easily be a surname type thing, like Penelope Keith. Would be horrible to leave your dad out.

YellowOfficeBlock Thu 23-Jun-16 16:33:46

My 12yo son has a friend called Keith, so I don't associate it as an old mans name iykwim.
As a middle name it's grand. Sure, no one really uses them anyway

Mycraneisfixed Thu 23-Jun-16 16:34:21

How about two middle names so Keith is the third name?

septembersunshine Thu 23-Jun-16 16:36:32

Could you just take the K and use a different name? So use, for example, Kai/Kian/Kieran and tell your dad that you don't like using family names that much but you wanted to honour him so the K is for him? I don't know if that is going to work! We are doing that for our son. Our first son is called Jack, his brother is due in two months and he is so excited so we are using James for his brother middle name (we had a list of other J names but that seems to go better with the first name we picked) as a little nod to him - with the 'J'. Just an idea!

Clawdy Thu 23-Jun-16 16:36:43

When my third son was born, l briefly considered giving him my dad's name as a middle name,but decided it was much too old-fashioned. Now, years later, it is much more in fashion than the one I picked, and my son always says he would have loved that reminder of his grandad, who died when he was two. Also , my dad would have been so pleased. It's one of my big regrets.

FurbysMakeSexNoises Thu 23-Jun-16 17:11:52

I went for pretty but meaningless middle names for my two and a couple of years later I regretted it and changed them to family names.

NadiaWadia Thu 23-Jun-16 17:19:25

Well it's not an attractive name, and has a distinctly older middle-aged feel, but hidden away as second middle it'll be fine. I suppose the actual sound of the word is not too bad. Lovely to honour your dad, you can't leave him out if you're doing it for the other GF!

Floralnomad Thu 23-Jun-16 17:23:27

My late father was called Keith and it's my sons middle name , I actually don't mind it at all but that's because I associate with my lovely dad - it's certainly nowhere near as bad as some of the other names that get bandied about on here .

Seekingmiracles Thu 23-Jun-16 17:26:04

Awful! My dad is an Alan and DHs is Barry - no way on gods earth any son of ours is having either name!

Reindeerlily Thu 23-Jun-16 17:34:43

Does your dad have a middle name that's a bit better than Keith?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now