Talk

Advanced search

Ivory?

(18 Posts)
MummyMaisy Wed 15-Jun-16 21:15:47

Not pregnant, but thinking about TTC DC4. However, just looking at names for now grin

What are your thoughts on Ivory? My DD is Ivy, so I know it's a no go, but what about in the middle?

LadyAntonella Wed 15-Jun-16 21:30:06

I'm not keen (sorry). It makes me think of the illegal trade in ivory, though I guess that could just be me.

Scarydinosaurs Wed 15-Jun-16 21:56:33

I wouldn't if you had an Ivy. Even as a middle name.

Dontrocktheboat Wed 15-Jun-16 22:24:32

Would also think of illegal ivory trade, not very happy connotations. I like Ivy though

Mimicat44 Wed 15-Jun-16 22:31:34

Sorry also makes me think of elephants being killed for their tusks...

orangebird69 Wed 15-Jun-16 22:34:43

What they all said. Terrible name.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 15-Jun-16 23:26:37

Well we'd have to know the first name. To see if Ivory goes as a MN

Notmoreantihistamines Wed 15-Jun-16 23:29:32

No, illegal trading in endangered animals. No

coolaschmoola Wed 15-Jun-16 23:29:56

Elephant tooth?!

useyourimagination Wed 15-Jun-16 23:30:41

Makes me think of elephants

elephantoverthehill Wed 15-Jun-16 23:33:01

What if DD had really bad teeth?

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Wed 15-Jun-16 23:38:57

I quite like it, although is is very similar to Ivy.

Elizabeth Ivory Surname sounds quite nice to me.

BackforGood Wed 15-Jun-16 23:52:49

I would have to sing "Ebony, and Ivory" every time her name was mentioned, so it could get a bit tiresome if you met me in real life grin

I agree with you that having an Ivy and an Ivory would be too confusing though even if I liked it as a name.

JakeyB Thu 16-Jun-16 00:23:38

I think it's very pretty and actually have a distant relative with this name. Wouldn't use it along with Ivy though.

ABitAsleep Thu 16-Jun-16 12:23:21

Not keen, although i do like Ebony

MummyMaisy Thu 16-Jun-16 12:44:23

I know you think of elephants, but isn't it just the colour...? Like, it isn't actually relevant only their tusk colours, or am I being stupid? Yeah, I agree, too much like Ivy (which I'm not a fan of the way it looks written down, but oh well, it's my daughter's name and I wouldn't change it) but Ivory spaces it out more. I suppose it would be okay in the middle, but might not. To be honest, I'm not even pregnant yet, so it's not the end of the world!

LadyAntonella Thu 16-Jun-16 14:52:09

You see, I automatically thought it was the substance (thinking of names like Pearl, Ruby, Opal), not the colour but I guess it could be either. Like Scarlet, Blue etc. But the ivory trade was definitely the first thing that I thought of; that's not to say that if I met someone with that name I'd never be able to get elephant hunters out of my mind or anything! I'd think of that initially and get over it.

LadyAntonella Thu 16-Jun-16 14:53:32

And I would have thought that elephant ivory came first fwiw and that the colour was named after it, not the other way round. Though I'm prepared to be corrected on that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now