naming baby my own name

(22 Posts)
DailyMailGOFuckOff Sun 12-Jun-16 20:00:06

A TAAT that's trying not to be one. Totally jumping the gun and happily daydreaming as not conceived yet.

We named DS a name we liked then his dad's name then his uncles name.

If I have a girl I actually quite like my own name. It's not unusual but less common now though was about 5 in a class growing up (so yes I'm a Hannah/Sarah/Sophie type name)

Would it be really cringe to name a baby a first name we like and hyphenate it with my name or use my name as a middle name. Anyone actually done it?

ChipInTheSugar Sun 12-Jun-16 20:03:18

I know someone who gave her DD her name as a middle name. Seems weirder than if a father did the same for a son. It shouldn't, but to me it does!

DailyMailGOFuckOff Sun 12-Jun-16 20:05:51

Does it seem a bit egotistical to do it? Or is it just that it's not the norm why it's wierd?

Hensintheskirting Sun 12-Jun-16 20:10:37

I think it would be annoying for those around you - even more so when the child has grown up. DDs father would say "Sarah/Sophie/Hannah" and you'd both answer. Thinking from the child's perspective, I'm not sure I would like the same name as my mum. It might seem that you're trying to turn them into a mini you; young adults want independence and to be different from their parents which will be difficult for them if you share a name.

TheWeeBabySeamus1 Sun 12-Jun-16 20:14:40

I don't think it's weird, my brother had my dads name as his first name and my sister had my mums name as her middle name. I think it's nice.

DiggersRest Sun 12-Jun-16 20:14:49

Yes, let them have their own identity. I'm against female and male "junior". And yes it seems egotistical.

DailyMailGOFuckOff Sun 12-Jun-16 20:15:47

I don't mean as a first name. A middle name really. DS is named after his father but as that's not his first name j don't think he actually knows that's in his name yet, he wouldn't answer to it. I think people only really notice when the birth announcement goes out?

MeLittleDuckie Sun 12-Jun-16 20:17:27

I wouldn't give him/her the same first name, but passing the name down as a middle name is nice in my opinion. I'm the third in a line of females in my family to have a form of one name as a middle name (like Gillian, Gill, Gilly etc), I like the link with my DM and DGM. If I have a DD I hope to pass the name down to her too. We also gave DS DH's name as a middle name. I think a first name of their own is important though.

raviolidreaming Sun 12-Jun-16 20:48:10

You gave your DS his dad's name. Of course you can then give a DD your name. Why would / should it be any different?

DailyMailGOFuckOff Sun 12-Jun-16 20:50:23

I think it's just less common and accepted

RaeSkywalker Sun 12-Jun-16 20:52:50

I think giving your name as a middle name is fine.

We've decided that if we have a boy, it'll have DH's name as it's middle name (We are NC with his family- giving he baby one of their names is not an option unfortunately). If it's a girl DH suggested using my name as the middle name, but I'd prefer to use my grandmother's, so that's what we'll go for.

SellFridges Sun 12-Jun-16 20:53:52

I'd rather my child didn't have a name they shared with a peer, let alone someone in the same house!

DramaAlpaca Sun 12-Jun-16 20:54:14

I didn't have a daughter, but if I had done she'd have had the Irish version of my name as her middle name. DS shares a middle name with his dad.

I have the same middle name with my grandmother and I like that connection with her.

Someone I know has two daughters and they both have their mother's middle name as one of their middle names.

I think it's a nice thing to do.

Notbigandnotclever Sun 12-Jun-16 20:57:11

Middle name is fine but I personally think it's confusing irritating and comes across as egotistical if you use your name as a first name.

LadyAntonella Sun 12-Jun-16 20:57:22

I actually think it's fine if it is your absolute favourite name. I know of a couple of women who have done this and actually it isn't that weird. Maybe tricky with post arriving at your house though if you both have the same surname...

EmmaWoodlouse Sun 12-Jun-16 20:57:40

I don't think there's anything unusual at all about giving it as a middle name. I've got my mum's name as a middle name, and my brother hasn't got my dad's, so to me it's not more unusual for a girl.

LadyAntonella Sun 12-Jun-16 21:03:37

Oh sorry didn't know you were talking about a middle name! That is totally fine. I was talking about a first name above.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Mon 13-Jun-16 12:20:26

So for eg.
Dad is David
Mum is Emma
Ds is Edward David
Dd is grace-Emma

Yes. Why not.

Made up names for eg.

DiggersRest Mon 13-Jun-16 17:01:38

Sorry l do think middle name is fine too.

Chinks123 Mon 13-Jun-16 17:07:18

DD has my name as a middle name, but it is also my late gmothers name so more for her than me. I don't think it's egotistical it's a nice tradition and if we have a ds I think he will have dp's name as a middle one too. I agree it is more common for little boys but it shouldn't be.

luckiestgirl Mon 13-Jun-16 17:13:27

If it's for a middle name then it's fine. No one knows or cares about them so can use whatever you like.

Lottiedaydreambeliever2014 Thu 16-Jun-16 19:48:14

Absolutely fine as a middle name. I have my mum's name as my middle name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now