Talk

Advanced search

Middle names - ever used?

(12 Posts)
Nataleejah Sun 12-Jun-16 18:35:37

With my ds1 and ds2 middle names were just there, but never practically used. But with ds3 many people (egged on with grandparents and godparents) just call him by middle name, as they like it better... It feels a bit weird.
Do you end up using middle names as first names?

rubberducker Sun 12-Jun-16 18:38:26

All the males in my DH's family go by their middle name, family tradition.

I have 2 boys and am having my third this week - it just means that when choosing names we put the one we want to use every day as the middle name. Most people have no idea that my boys' names are not actually their first name.

BlueChampagne Sun 12-Jun-16 21:09:32

Both my sister and my MIL go by their middle names.

FinnegansCake Sun 12-Jun-16 22:32:15

I go by my middle name. Not my choice but DM's, as people kept mispronouncing my first name.

bojorojo Sun 12-Jun-16 23:41:40

Another who uses my middle name. Pronunciation and spelling issues with first one. Children have have two middle names. They like their initials and use them like "names".

MummyMaisy Sun 12-Jun-16 23:57:41

I really don't understand why people do this... I'd never dream of it. If I wanted any of my children to go by their middle name, I'd have given them it as a first name. It's bizarre! I sometimes call my children by both names, though...

JessieMcJessie Mon 13-Jun-16 00:12:03

It's usually when a family name is given as a traditional first name that the middle name is used to avoid confusion with other males in the family.

If I were known as my middle name I would be very anonymous indeed as I don't have one.

FinnegansCake Mon 13-Jun-16 01:01:51

MummyMaisy - sometimes names only sound good together a certain way. My names wouldn't flow if they were the other way around. It all depends on vowels and stressed syllables

minatiae Mon 13-Jun-16 01:14:31

I really don't understand why people do this... I'd never dream of it. If I wanted any of my children to go by their middle name, I'd have given them it as a first name. It's bizarre! I sometimes call my children by both names, though...

Because people might hate their first name and prefer their middle name. Parents can prefer a name for their child but if someone wants to use a different name, it's up to them and not what their parents might have wanted when they gave them their name.

MummyMaisy Mon 13-Jun-16 01:18:03

That's different - I mean when parents use their middle name from day 1, but Jessie has already explained that smile

Eminybob Mon 13-Jun-16 01:33:28

I don't really see the point of middle names, I don't have one, it's not an issue. Very few people I know use theirs on a regular basis and generally you wouldn't even know what most people's middle names are.

That said, we did give DS one, but it is never ever used. It's just there on his birth certificate as it's the "done thing". I guess he could choose to use it when he's older.

GoldPlatedBacon Mon 13-Jun-16 08:13:55

I've come across quite a few people who use their md as they prefer it to their first name.

More importantly though op, are you happy that your family decided your dc3 name? If my family started calling my dd by her md because they prefer it I'd start calling them a name I prefer of tell them to pack it in

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now