Christopher with Kit as shortened name

(35 Posts)
kmini Sun 12-Jun-16 18:02:09

We already have a Thomas, almost always Tom and occasionally Tommy.

We Like traditional boys names for DC2. Christopher is a potential but I really dislike Chris as a shortened version.

Quite like Kit as a nn (Dh still needs convincing), but have a few concerns:
- would I just have to accept he will eventually be Chris.
- is Kit well known enough as a shorted version for it to not raise a few eyebrows
- is Kit a 'cool namish'/try hard (no offence to anyone that has chosen, we might be a little straight for a cool name)
- is it masculine enough

Any thoughts welcome

Littleallovertheshop Sun 12-Jun-16 18:05:45

I think kit is lovely - I didn't know it was short for Christopher though

leoniethelioness Sun 12-Jun-16 18:06:36

I think it's been Wayne Rooney-ed now, hasn't it? It's a shame as I like it and that's totally put me off it.

AuntieStella Sun 12-Jun-16 18:06:44

I think it's a lovely name and nickname. Not common, but not uncommon either IYSWIM.

All the ones I know in RL have a a sibling with a monosyllable name or nickname, so I think I goes well with Tom.

DramaAlpaca Sun 12-Jun-16 18:07:44

It's lovely, go for it.

These are my thoughts in answer to your questions:
1 - No, if he's called Kit at home he'd wouldn't necessarily become Chris later on - unless he wants to, of course.
2 - Yes, it's well known enough as a nn for Christopher.
3 - No, it's not try-hard. It's quite cool, but not try-hard cool.
4 - Yes, it's masculine.

EmmaWoodlouse Sun 12-Jun-16 18:09:40

Taking your points one by one:

1. His friends might call him Chris (although they probably won't if he's always been called Kit) but you don't have to. I think it would be a bit unfair to insist his friends can't call him Chris if he likes it, but obviously you can back him up if he doesn't.

2. I think it is fairly well known that it can be short for Christopher, even if it isn't very common at the moment.

3. I think it's quite cool but not in a silly or ostentatious way.

3. Yes, I think so - isn't there quite a famous male actor called that at the moment?

For what it's worth, I rather like Kit as a boy's name and I think it would be better to use the "traditional" long form Christopher than just Kit or something that begins with Kit on his birth certificate. People will assume it's short for Christopher anyway.

originalmavis Sun 12-Jun-16 18:11:17

I like Christy as a short version. I know a Topper.

cecilelliott Sun 12-Jun-16 20:24:16

I love Christopher, and don't know any little ones with that name at the moment. Kit is a nice (but possibly trending?) nickname.

I know a Christopher called Kester. Would this appeal?

JessieMcJessie Sun 12-Jun-16 23:44:53

Kit Harrington is popularising the name a lot, thought not sure if he is a Christopher. I like it. Better that the awful "Topher"!

JessieMcJessie Sun 12-Jun-16 23:46:39

Yep, apparently named after Chriatophwr Marlowe, whose name was also shortened to Kit.

MummyMaisy Sun 12-Jun-16 23:52:55

Christopher is nice enough, but Kit isn't very nice, sorry... When he starts school, he will most likely become Chris, so I think it's important that you like that. As you say, your son's name is Thomas/Tom, occasionally Tommy (which is lovely) does that mean Kit may be Kitty? That's far too feminine... Personally, I'd pick something else...

Worcswoman Mon 13-Jun-16 00:00:45

I like that. Kit Harrington has done well with that name so you've got both our votes :-)

DailyMailGOFuckOff Mon 13-Jun-16 00:05:02

I just think of cliff Richard. Sorry

JessieMcJessie Mon 13-Jun-16 00:08:38

Huh? Cliff Richard? Why?

julfin Mon 13-Jun-16 02:32:07

I agree with everything that dramaalpaca said

CaoNiMao Mon 13-Jun-16 06:57:28

Not Topper! Sounds like something you'd put on your cornflakes!

TrespassesW Mon 13-Jun-16 07:14:15

Our Kit/Christopher is at Primary school - he certainly hasn't become Chris. I can't actually imagine why/how that would happen, as all his friends and teachers just know him as Kit. He also has never been called Kitty or anything like that. We had pretty positive responses when we first told people what he was called - it's a family name for us - was slightly gutted when Wayne Rooney picked it though!

BertrandRussell Mon 13-Jun-16 07:17:14

Once they get to 4 or so, you can't control what they call themselves or what others call them.

AuntieStella Mon 13-Jun-16 08:06:49

You can't control it, but unless most DC stick with the name their family calls them as their day to day name

(until teen rebellion hits but that's another story)

Tomboyinatutu Mon 13-Jun-16 08:39:10

I love the name Kit! It was on our shortlist for this baby but I can't stand the name Chris (family member who I don't like has this name) so decided against it just incase, people don't always use the nn you would preffer.

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 13-Jun-16 12:12:43

Kit Harrington is popularising the name a lot, thought not sure if he is a Christopher.

He's a Christopher but I read an interview where he said he didn't even realise that was his actual name until he was 12 years old. He can't have been a very enquiring child!

HopefulAnxiety Mon 13-Jun-16 12:26:55

I know a Christopher nn Tiffer.

Barbeasty Mon 13-Jun-16 13:03:16

The only issue my brother had being Kit was that the bank didn't like his signature having K rather than C.
He got to his 30s as a Kit without people trying to call him Chris. I think if you always introduce him as Kit people don't really even think about changing it, whereas if you introduce him as Christopher they might.

PHeadPH Mon 13-Jun-16 22:48:08

I absolutely love the name Kit - I wouldn't think of it as a NN for Christopher but I don't think that matters. Is there a reason you want to have Christpher as his full name? Does Kit go nicely with your surname.

It's a non issue if he decides to use Chris when he is older or not.

I like Kes to.

thenightsky Mon 13-Jun-16 22:49:31

Christopher and Kit are both lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now