Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

thoughts on shortlist

(11 Posts)
porterwine Fri 10-Jun-16 23:29:58

Kate- I also love Caitlin nn Cait but friends have said Caitlin is "chavvy"?? Could I use Cait just by itself or will she have a lifetime of misspelling and constantly having to tell people how it is spelt?

Mary-Kate- really really love this but have so far had negative reactions from friends and family.

Lana- someone pointed out what it spells backwards, could this cause potential issues in school?

Bryony- "girl version of Brian" according to Dsis!

Andi- I adore Andi but I'm not keen on Andrea or Miranda but not sure I can use it just as it is. What else can it be a nn for?

Holly- my main problem with this name is it's difficult to make a nn or pet-name out of it apart from "Hols" which doesn't sound particularly nice!

Emma- love it but DH says its too dull.

What are your thoughts? Further suggestions are welcome too smile

Wolfiefan Fri 10-Jun-16 23:33:12

I like Caitlin. Don't use Cait as actual name. Misspelling.
Mary Kate. Hate double barrelled.
Lara instead of lana?
Briony rather than your spelling?
Andi an actual name?
Holly nice
Emma could be lovely depends on surname.

Sophronia Fri 10-Jun-16 23:45:13

I like Kate, Mary Kate and Emma

Andi could be short for Alexandra? Or Cassandra, Andra, Amanda, Amandine, Evandra, Leandra, Lysandra, Orlanda, Pandora, Yolanda

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 10-Jun-16 23:47:49

I don't like Caitlin. No reason really. Just not to my taste, but. If there was only 2 boxes. Posh or chavvy. I'd put it in the posh box. Love Cait though. Very elegant and classic.
I love Broni. It'd be a lovely honour for say an uncle/grandad named Brian.
Holly. It's nice for a Christmas baby, but wouldn't really fit right on a summer baby
I with you on Lana. How about Lara or Lorna instead.
Not keen on Andi.
Emma. Is beautiful and quite unusual now.

TrollTrekkingAcrossTheUniverse Fri 10-Jun-16 23:52:04

I like Kate (or Cait - although she will have a lifetime of spelling that out) and Emma. Oh, and also Bryony. Yes it's the female version of Brian but lots of names have male / female versions.

Mary-Kate is nice, but too linked with the American actress (at least at the moment).

Andi could be NN for Andrina

Ankleswingers Fri 10-Jun-16 23:55:07

Kate is my favourite.

manicinsomniac Sat 11-Jun-16 01:11:40

Kate - not keen as a standalone, full name. Too short and plain for my personal taste, I think.
Caitlin - quite like it. I don't have any class based associations on it at all.
Mary-Kate- pretty sound but I really would just think Olsen.
Lana- like it. I suppose some kids might pick up on the anal thing, I don't know. Doubt it, tbh.
Bryony- really like it and think it's very underused nowadays. Yes, it's the feminine of Brian but so what? Lots of names have m/f variants
Andi- like it but agree it's not great as a full name. Andrina? Anya-Diane?!?
Holly- like it. Don't think it needs a nn
Emma- it's ok. I think I'm with your DH on finding it a bit plain.

How about:
Kathryn, Katie, Catrin, Karina, Catriona, Katerina,
Mary-Jane, Mary-Anne, Mary-Louise, Mia-Kate, Mala-Kate, Mila-Kate, Megan-Kate, Martha-Kate, Maisie-Kate,
Lara, Lena, Lila, Lyla, Lyra, Laura, Lorna, Lauren, Leanna, Leandra
Bianca, Bridget, Bronwen, Bethan,
Anya, Anais, Anna, Annie, Anika, Abbie, Ally, Ashley, Amelie, Ayla, Aria, April, Ariel, Agnes, Astrid, Aphra, Alice
Hazel, Heidi, Hattie, Hetty, Honey, Honor, Hebe, Halle, Hayley
Emily, Emery, Emmeline, Emmie, Ella, Eva, Elsa, Erica, Esther, Eliza

porterwine Sat 11-Jun-16 13:55:11

thanks for the input so far everyone smile

Do people actually think Bryony is the female Brian? In the same way Alexander/Alexandra etc? Because it's not connected at all- Bryony is a wildflower!

Sophronia I hadn't thought of Andi being short for Alexandra! Really like that- will run past DH

In regards to Mary-Kate(Olsen) I would hope by the time DS is growing up they will pretty much be out of the limelight. I rarely see much about them anymore so fingers crossed that wouldn't be an issue.

Wolfiefan surname is one syllable starting with S- big white bird!

DontKillMyVibe Sat 11-Jun-16 13:59:39

Only one I like is Holly. It doesn't need a nn in my opinion as it's a short enough name. Any Hollys I know have been called just that.

Mary-Kate is my least favourite

I don't think Caitlin is chavvy but it has become v popular - in my neck of the woods anyway.

LadyAntonella Sat 11-Jun-16 14:02:30

I like:

Kate

Bryony (I love this name and was on list for DD. My brother does say it sounds like an adjective for like Brian! As in, she's a bit Brian-y! Still love it)

Emma - lovely name. I guess it's not terribly exciting, but then not every name has to be.

I also love Sophronia's suggestion of Alexandra! Lots of possible nns too.

porterwine Sat 11-Jun-16 14:22:12

LadyAntonella thanks smile my friend said it reminds her of that song from Bedknobs and Broomsticks..."at the bottom of the beautiful briiiiiiney sea"! I never thought of it like that before but now it's stuck in my head haha.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now