Talk

Advanced search

Would you let the meaning of the name put you off the name itself?

(44 Posts)
dollydaydream84 Fri 10-Jun-16 21:56:25

We quite like the name Mallory. I looked up the meaning and found it meant "unfortunate and luckless".

DH thinks I'm mad for letting the meaning put me off but it has definitely planted a seed of doubt (though I still like the name!) - I feel like I'm cursing the child to be unfortunate and luckless before it's even born.

So the question is, would you or have you let the meaning of a name put you off the name itself?

iisme Fri 10-Jun-16 21:59:33

I told my friend, who was thinking of naming her baby Tristan, that is meant sorry - and because of that she didn't use it. I felt bad about that but also glad that she'd found out beforehand. To me it would matter. I think it's a personal thing. He's NBU to think it doesn't matter but YANBU to think it does. You both have to be on board with the decision.

iisme Fri 10-Jun-16 22:00:20

Aggh! It meant 'sorrow', not 'sorry'!

Winterdaisy Fri 10-Jun-16 22:02:00

I didn't use the name Persephone because it is associated with death. All my children have positive name meanings !

MrsSpecter Fri 10-Jun-16 22:03:12

It would put me off, yes. It amazes me some of the names people use and I wonder if they dont bother to look at the meanings or origins of the names. Like Portia for example.

SmallBee Fri 10-Jun-16 22:03:34

If it meant something really awful or unappealing then yes it would put me off. A person's name is a big deal so I want it to be really perfect.

Having said that one of the meanings of my first name is 'craggy rock ' and my surname means 'swamp' so maybe the meaning isn't everything?

Millyonthefloss Fri 10-Jun-16 22:07:02

It would put me off yes. It's like Tess of the Durbevilles calling her child Sorrow. And that didn't go well.

Xmasbaby11 Fri 10-Jun-16 22:08:53

It would put me off too.

Millyonthefloss Fri 10-Jun-16 22:09:27

I wouldn't do it. It would worry me. It's like Tess of the Durbevilles calling her child Sorrow. And that didn't go well.

hamabeads Fri 10-Jun-16 22:11:00

It would definitely put me off if I didn't like the meaning of the name.

DramaAlpaca Fri 10-Jun-16 22:11:02

Yes, it would put me off.

TyrionLannistersShadow Fri 10-Jun-16 22:12:36

It wouldn't put me off at all if I liked the name.

NapQueen Fri 10-Jun-16 22:15:03

I genuinely didn't look at name meanings when I chose mine. Nor is it ever a consideration when I think of any names. Unless the name actually is the word (I. E Willow, Rose, Hope etc) then it just doesn't come to mind.

I'd pick a name because I like it.

NapQueen Fri 10-Jun-16 22:23:00

Just Google my kids first and middle names meanings....

Dd - Pearl Nobility Surname
DS - Crossing Lion Surname

Or what I shall now use as their Native American Tomahawk names grin

FuckingFattyBitch Fri 10-Jun-16 22:29:34

Just looked up my DCs names.
DS1 means defender/protector
DD means brave bear
DS2 means gift from God.

grin It's about right too. DS1 is very protective of his younger siblings, and of me.
DD is tiny but fierce and nothing scares her
DS2 was a pill failure...(he's only 10 months and his personality do far seems to be clown like. Everything is funny, especially bashing mummy on the head)

tiffyfanny Fri 10-Jun-16 22:30:32

I was going to name my daughter Ophelia. Two months before birth, out of curiosity decided to check for the meaning. The male version means serpent and the female version and the character in the book and how she ended her life put me off. I didn't know about the book before hand. I was already planing on shortening it to just O.

1horatio Fri 10-Jun-16 22:33:16

I love the names Cecilia, Andrea and Blaise... But the meaning put me off sad

Maybe I'm being superstitious here... But I just can't get over the meaning.

FuckingFattyBitch Fri 10-Jun-16 22:34:56

I don't think many people really think about the meaning. But saying that, names do hold associations. Whether it's the actual meaning, or as a PP mentioned a character in a book or a person IRL.

Gentleness Fri 10-Jun-16 22:37:08

Yes I would. Not for any superstitious reason. I just wouldn't be able to forget the meaning and it would keep popping into my mind. Especially at those inevitable moments when the child is really irritating... Not good.

I don't mind meanings like Mallory if nobody will know the connotations unless they google them. But I dislike names whose primary reference is tragic, like Ophelia or Cassandra or Heathcliff (the late Heath Ledger's given name). I would make an exception for Tristan because I love the opera so much.

What's wrong with Portia?

Whitecovers Fri 10-Jun-16 22:41:07

Wouldn't put me off at all. I actually can't understand how it would. If you like a name go for it.

MrsSpecter Fri 10-Jun-16 22:43:13

Portia means pig

TheWildRumpyPumpus Fri 10-Jun-16 22:43:47

I didn't even look up my DS' names, hence them both coincidentally meaning 'Gift of God'.

I don't think it would bother me, most people don't know the meanings of names that aren't in their family (MN excepted probably!).

NataliaOsipova Fri 10-Jun-16 22:45:32

I was all set for Claudia...until I looked it up and saw that it meant "the lame one". Big no no after that. I'm with you, OP - it does matter what it means.

MumOnACornishFarm Fri 10-Jun-16 22:50:04

Not in the slightest! I'm still toying with Salome as a middle name if DC2 is a girl. I don't believe people immediately ponder the meaning of your name on being introduced to you. I think many, many people don't know the meaning of their own names. I think it's something we as parents get too wrapped up in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now